• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Recent movies seen

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Tad - 02 January 2016 11:51 AM

Do you mean the Blues Brothers 2000?

Yes, I do.

It’s not as good as the original, but I do find it a harmless sequel for what it is.

No argument there.

It didn’t damage or leave a bad taste like so many sequels do.

Because the music is still great. And the amount of blues legends that are in it possibly exceeds the number of cars they totaled. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I always wonder how they got the ‘drivers’ in those cars who they pull out of them in the next scene Smile.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Saw so many movies in the last month…

Ex-Machina
So much hype and mostly delivered but I was a bit underwhelmed by the ending. It went exactly where i thought it was going and that disappointed a bit. Very strong perfomances. Alicia Vikander is the revelation of the year

The Man From UNCLE
Shallow fun harmless movie. Alicia Vikander steals the show. Good time.

MI Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation
Good movies, series is going strong. Number 5 is the best of the series so far. Great action moments with a very good cast.

Spy
Surprise of the year. Was not expecting it to be so funny. Best Melissa McCarthy comedy with a surprisingly funny Rose Byrne and Jason Statham. I’m more confident in the new Ghostbusters now

Vacation
Horrible comedy. Saw the original with Chevy Chase after it to remember if it was just nostalgia but it’s so much better…

The Gift
Good movie. Nothing memorable but a solid thriller. Worth a watch. Different role for Jason bateman.

Everest
Excellent movie. Amazing scenario and brutal story. Underrated movie of the year?

Crimson Peak
Disappointment of the year. Movie is pretty but so so average and predictable… What the hell Del Toro?

Total Posts: 317

Joined 2008-07-14

PM

I saw “Star Wars: The Force Awakened”.

I enjoyed it. I’ve never been obsessed with the franchise, but I liked how it went back to the original movies more in tone and everything. I loved Finn’s comedy. And I love the Finn/Poe friendship. I was sad that Lando was not brought in, he was one of my favorite characters of the series. I’m still hoping they bring him in later. I kind of wanted Finn to be his son, but people have said that won’t happen because it would like like there was only one african american family in the entire galaxy. So I hope they bring Lando in some other way at least. And I thought it was obvious at first that Rey was Luke’s daughter, because the lightsaber came to her instead of Luke’s nephew. But I think that would be too tidy, and I like the idea she may be Obi Wan’s. Smile

wilco - 05 January 2016 02:43 PM

Spy
Surprise of the year. Was not expecting it to be so funny. Best Melissa McCarthy comedy with a surprisingly funny Rose Byrne and Jason Statham.

I loved Jason Statham in this! I had never seen him in a comedic role before, and I love him but wasn’t sure if he’d be able to do it, and he was amazing and so funny!

Favorite Adventure Games-Lost Crown, Longest Journey, Dark Fall 1&2, Barrow Hill, Black Mirror, Blackwell games, Riven, Myst
Favorite Other Games-Kings Bounty, FTL
Currently Playing-Barrow Hill:The Dark Path
Looking Forward To-Last Crown/Braken Tor

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Fantasysci5 - 07 January 2016 08:46 PM
wilco - 05 January 2016 02:43 PM

Spy
Surprise of the year. Was not expecting it to be so funny. Best Melissa McCarthy comedy with a surprisingly funny Rose Byrne and Jason Statham.

I loved Jason Statham in this! I had never seen him in a comedic role before, and I love him but wasn’t sure if he’d be able to do it, and he was amazing and so funny!

This whole part was hilarious! I wonder if he was improvising, looked like that, so much random stuff

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Revenant

Badass beautiful cinematography, over dragged mundane and unimaginative story, predictable
ending.

Its a tech demo of cinema with return of tracking shots.

7/10

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I also just saw the new Star Wars movie - and was overall disappointed Frown

What I expected, was a new movie in the Star Wars saga.
What I got, was basically a remake of the original movie Meh

Instead of Darth Vader it had Ren (or whatever his name was), instead of The Empire it had The First Order, instead of a Death Star it had a Death Planet, instead of Luke Skywalker it had Rey (Skywalker), instead of the empire chasing R2D2 because of some plans stored in it, we have the First Order chasing BB8 because of some plans stored in it ... Basically scene for scene exactly the same as episode 4, just with some minor chances.

You can say what you want about episode 1-3, but at least it had a very clear purpose of telling how Anakin Skywalker became Darth Vader, and how the Sith manage to defeat the Jedis and control the galaxy. But now they just seem to want to repeat everything that worked in episode 4, without actually telling a new story.

I do quite like the Rey character, and seeing Harrison Ford return as Han Solo together with chewbacca, the Millennium Falcon and everything was a nice touch, and it isn’t a bad movie as such.

But storywise I had actually expected [spoiler]that defeating the Sith and the Empire would actually chance something .. anything, that they had moved forward and actually had a new story to tell, but alas no. The state of the Galaxy here in episode 7 is exactly the same is it was in episode 4, with some evil dark force ruling the galaxy and a resistance fighting against it.[/spoiler]

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 317

Joined 2008-07-14

PM

Iznogood - 08 January 2016 07:00 AM

[spoiler]The state of the Galaxy here in episode 7 is exactly the same is it was in episode 4, with some evil dark force ruling the galaxy and a resistance fighting against it.[/spoiler]

That is such a good point, why didn’t I see that? They could have changed the dynamic around or something.

Favorite Adventure Games-Lost Crown, Longest Journey, Dark Fall 1&2, Barrow Hill, Black Mirror, Blackwell games, Riven, Myst
Favorite Other Games-Kings Bounty, FTL
Currently Playing-Barrow Hill:The Dark Path
Looking Forward To-Last Crown/Braken Tor

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Fantasysci5 - 08 January 2016 02:42 PM

[spoiler]The state of the Galaxy here in episode 7 is exactly the same is it was in episode 4, with some evil dark force ruling the galaxy and a resistance fighting against it.[/spoiler]

That is such a good point, why didn’t I see that? They could have changed the dynamic around or something.

They are not ruling the galaxy, after the defeat the remains went to another part of the galaxy to regroup, they are just coming back full force and destroyed the Republic. The Rebels are a separate group from the Republic led by Leia that disagreed with them because they say the Empire was coming back (or something like that). But Death Star 3 was a complete recycle and I think it should have been avoided.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I also just saw the new Star Wars movie - and was overall disappointed Frown

What I expected, was a new movie in the Star Wars saga.
What I got, was basically a remake of the original movie Meh

Instead of Darth Vader it had Ren (or whatever his name was), instead of The Empire it had The First Order, instead of a Death Star it had a Death Planet, instead of Luke Skywalker it had Rey (Skywalker), instead of the empire chasing R2D2 because of some plans stored in it, we have the First Order chasing BB8 because of some plans stored in it ... Basically scene for scene exactly the same as episode 4, just with some minor chances.

I totally noticed that too. It fed on nostalgia more than trying to be a new story. Another couple moments that come to mind The cantina scene with the band playing and flying through the tunnel to destroy the death planet.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

The fan base are to blame for the similarities. They all moaned that the prequels were rubbish and they wanted it to be more like the original, now they are moaning it’s too much like the originals.

Can’t please everyone it seems.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

wilco - 08 January 2016 05:11 PM

They are not ruling the galaxy, after the defeat the remains went to another part of the galaxy to regroup, they are just coming back full force and destroyed the Republic. The Rebels are a separate group from the Republic led by Leia that disagreed with them because they say the Empire was coming back (or something like that). But Death Star 3 was a complete recycle and I think it should have been avoided.

That might very well be the case, but they kind of skipped over actually telling that part. It might have been mentioned in the opening floating text. (I can’t actually remember what it said) But the First Order are at the very least already ruling the part of the galaxy where the story takes place, which means that it is for all practical purposes of the story, the same state as the beginning of episode 4. (Remember that Palpatine also wasn’t completely in control at the beginning of episode 4)

If they had just started the story a bit earlier, when the First Order perhaps was only a relative small and insignificant thread, with the forces of good and evil being at perhaps more or less equal strength. They could still have had basically the same elements with Rey & Finn, Han Solo & Kylo Ren, the search for Luke Skywalker etc, but it would have, as Fantasysci5 put it, changed the dynamic. But as it is, it is simply too much copy and past from the original, and not just in the details or the fan service, but also in the overall story.

Now I don’t want to sound like I hated it, because I didn’t, and there were also things I liked, like the Rey character, and it was all very professionally made. I had just hoped for a more original story.

Lucien21 - 09 January 2016 02:39 AM

The fan base are to blame for the similarities. They all moaned that the prequels were rubbish and they wanted it to be more like the original, now they are moaning it’s too much like the originals.

Can’t please everyone it seems.

“It’s really hard to design products by focus groups. A lot of times, people don’t know what they want until you show it to them.” - Steve Jobs

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Do you guys think Bats V Supes can beat this film’s record?

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

nomadsoul - 11 January 2016 11:47 AM

Do you guys think Bats V Supes can beat this film’s record?

No way, probably not even Avengers and maybe not Captain America: Civil War

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Currently watching the documentary Making a Murder.
Stranger than fiction. You have to see to believe it.
Some of the descriptions I would attribute to it.

Starts a bit slow, but once the main case court begins it becomes epic with the defense lawywers the clear ‘protagnists’ in this story.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top