• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieKeybordzzobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Recent movies seen

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

I think that how it kinda works.

The explicit references (unless I missed any) are towards the re-boot films featuring Daniel Craig.

Then again, there are several more subtle thematical references to the older films, which I guess is a way to celebrate them or revoke some emotions from these films.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Crimson Peak

Deltoro seem to be apt in delivering visual tour de force, in his last efforts, PacificRim, Strain and now this, but all had weak stories to hit the mark.
But again in these dark CG times of Hollywood , his CG/Practical effects composition doesn’t hurt much so.

3/5 , + 1 for Female leads = 4/5 Wink

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Maybe James Bond is a Time Lord, and every time they use another actor, it’s just the previous one that regenerated? Crazy

Frankly, I’m happy considering it the same “timeless” person throughout the entire series, with Craig’s more of a reboot because they took the very first novel as a basis. It’s just what happens when a series lasts for 24 movies over a period of 50+ years.
Compare to the Simpsons: 20+ years running, and Maggie is still a baby, Bart is still in 4th Grade and Lisa in 2nd. It just comes with the territory, imo.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Yeah, I suppose. It doesn’t really matter either way, but I think I like idea of 007 retiring and the new actor taking the spy name.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2015-11-05

PM

Just watched Blade Runner again after long time and it is: Woooooooa!
I tried with few new serious this week but after Braking Bad everything seams to me just like fart.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Inside Out - 4/5

A return to form for Pixar with a movie that has a lot of that ‘Up’-vibe to it (which I can only applaud as I consider Up to be Pixar’s chef-d’oeuvre). While it’s not as consistently great as Up, it does occasionally hit all the right notes, effortlessly making me laugh out loud while I was still crying from the previous scene (something I tend to give bonus points for).
A well-thought-out and original look into the loss of childhood, with a couple of really poignant moments.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Triple dent gum, will make you smile, Triple dent gum, will last a while  Laughing

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

wilco - 09 November 2015 02:15 PM

Triple dent gum, will make you smile, Triple dent gum, will last a while  Laughing

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2015-11-11

PM

subbi - 03 November 2015 03:52 AM

- The title song is absolutely dreadful and so unfitting for a Bond movie. This is very very far off from the brilliant Skyfall theme. Where on eath did they find Sam Smith? And more importantly, Why?

Hello there.

Interesting!
but it is more than just being dreadful, it is a total rip-off!
not sure of those who are not intimate with the other two audios used (Evanescence My Immortal, Michael Jackson Earth Song) to be acute observers of this obvious rip-off .

Total Posts: 175

Joined 2008-09-02

PM

I’ve seen a few more Woody Allen movies since we last talked about him: 
Midnight in Paris;
Vicki, Christina, Barcelona and
Magic in the Moonlight.

I enjoyed Vicki, Christina, Barcelona a lot. Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem in particular.

It seems like Magic in the Moonlight had the potential to be a great movie, but doesen’t live up to all of that potential. Yet I think it still is a good movie, and a very pleasant viewing experience. I surely don’t regret that I watched it. Colin Firth ftw!

Watching Midnight in Paris, however, was phenomenal.  The movie has so much verve, vitality, ingenuity and charme… I just love, love, love Midnight in Paris.  Some great performances in there. Marion Cottilard was brilliant as usual.  Owen Wilson was a perfect casting choice for the lead character.

This means that I’ve seen four „new“ Allen movies very recently. Even the “”“worst”“” of them was still a good movie.

Personal ranking:
1. Midnight in Paris/ Matchpoint
2. Vicki, Christina, Barcelona
3. Magic in the Moonlight
Looking forward to more! Smile

Now playing: GreedFall, Control
Recently finished: Telling Lies, The Sinking City

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

@ Ingmar: glad you’re enjoying the Woody Allen movies.
You could also check out “Fading Gigolo”. It’s written and directed by John Turturro (with him in the lead role), but it’s co-starring Woody Allen, and it feels very much like a traditional Allen movie too.

Went to see Bond yesterday.

Spectre - 3.5/5

Solid movie (much better than the song, at least), but of course not as good as Skyfall. Too little Monica Bellucci and far too little Jesper Christensen, as well as a weird pacing problem between the bits in the African desert crater and the bits in London immediately afterwards. Despite its length, no other real pacing problems but something’s off about that sequence.
It’s also a return to the Bond villain stupidity by having Bond on a torture table for long enough to allow him to escape. Tongue

Great cinematography again - maybe not as utterly spectacular as in Skyfall, but especially that long tracking shot over the rooftops in Mexico city in the beginning was a treat!
And I loved Bautista’s part as the hulking evil henchman, and I thought Ben Whishaw was very funny as Q.

I agree that this should be Craig’s last film as Bond. It completely ends his arc, imo.

But of course, they’re setting up the villain as a potential Joker: locking him up so he can escape and return in the sequel. Tongue

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

@Ingmar
Midnight in Paris is indeed a special movie.
But I also recommend going for the classic Woody Allen, Annie Hall just got voted the funniest script ever and stuff like Mannhattan or Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex * But Were Afraid to Ask also evry good. (Unless you’ve already seen that and I missed it)

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

wilco - 21 November 2015 09:34 AM

@Ingmar
Midnight in Paris is indeed a special movie.
But I also recommend going for the classic Woody Allen, Annie Hall just got voted the funniest script ever and stuff like Mannhattan or Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex * But Were Afraid to Ask also evry good. (Unless you’ve already seen that and I missed it)

I agree, especially about Annie Hall:

TimovieMan - 28 October 2015 06:26 PM

The quintessential Woody Allen movie is after all these years still ‘Annie Hall’, though…

Total Posts: 175

Joined 2008-09-02

PM

But I also recommend going for the classic Woody Allen,

I will! Smile

The quintessential Woody Allen movie is after all these years still ‘Annie Hall’, though…

It will definitely be one the next ones I’ll watch! Smile

Actually, it is possible I have seen it with my family when I was a lot younger, but - IF that should be the case - it would probably feel like an entirely new movie anyway.

I had a look at my film collection, and realised that I bought „Play it Again, Sam“ some years ago. Another one to watch soon.

Another movie I bought recently (not related to Woody Allen): “Under the Skin” with Scarlett Johansson.  I guess this is a movie you either love or loathe.  I loved it.  One of the most immersive and hypnotic movie experiences I’ve had in recent years.  It’s been on my mind for quite some days.

I don’t know if I would have enjoyed it if I would have been in the wrong mood. It’s very different, and it certainly requires to let oneself in for the movie.  Personally, I think it’s it worth it, but - like I said before - this is probably a movie that people love or loathe.

Now playing: GreedFall, Control
Recently finished: Telling Lies, The Sinking City

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Can’t believe nobody has mentioned Sleeper yet. I have not watched it in years so don’t know if it still holds up but I remember liking it

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top