• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Gabrielrtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #62 - Lighthouse: The Dark Being

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Well, I went back to the X-1 mode and solved it with no problem.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I’m falling a little bit behind, but this weekend I should have enough time to catch up with you guys.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Finished the section. I honestly hope I did not left any important inventory items behind (I have a medallion, a bulb, a handle, the key and a High tech whistle from the bedroom/office and the remote control + various mechanical parts from the lab. Oh, and I also have 3 stones remaining). Quite honestly, this section was harder for me than the previous one! Timed puzzles are not my forte and I had to load many times to stop that !@#! Birdman from entering the office (the lab downstairs was much easier). Also took me some time to bypass the mechanical bird at the stairs. I knew ofc that the solution had to do something with our own small, mechanical bird, I just missed the hotspot and did not fully understood the logic behind it. I guess the fact that I could throw stones on it was a red herring (it seemed to fall after 3 stones, but it always came back). After all that, making my Bat-plane to fly was very easy. I ignored the path that led downstairs completely.

The game gives me somewhat “Obsidian” vibes and this is a good thing.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Pegbiter - 01 October 2020 07:02 PM
chrissie - 01 October 2020 05:48 AM

Sorry to digress but I’m curious about how you play the game (or any game) on a display that large Pegbiter?

Large ultra-wide monitors are popular among action gamers. Mine is however of 16:9 aspect ratio, and the size is primarily useful for productivity. After getting used to it though, I enjoy playing any kind of game on it too. I have a pretty deep desk and sit about one meter from the center of the screen.

If you’re starting the game with GOGs launcher you won’t be able to access the options of ScummVM through the interface. You can however reach it by locating the ScummVM executable, or edit the config file manually.

Many thanks Pegbiter for taking the time to post that info!  Thumbs Up

I’ve now got to the temple.

Reading the comments I seemed to have been lucky enough to have avoided the birdman stealing anything (I didn’t find later) & finding the key to lock the window quickly’ I found the birdman quite scary - I’m not phased by too much usually but it was comparable to me with the Cybermen in Dr Who.

If I hadn’t read the spoilers in the thread so far I have to agree with Intense Degree that I wouldn’t have found all of the stones so far & with Sefir about using the key from the soldier with the bird .

I’m not sure I found after getting access to the tower & scaring the birds away with stones (it took me a while to think to use the mechanical bird with the clock although in hindsight it seems logical) that the game flowed too well for me as it got into fixing things mechanical & I might well have abandoned it at this point if it were not for this playthrough! 

I didn’t have too much trouble getting into the birdman’s workshop  but what foxed me was that yet another incident of the click & drag mechanic - it took me a while to realise that I had to click & drag the lever around to fire up the the flying machine to get the dial into the blue to get the thing to fly after just trying lots of times fruitlessly just clicking on it without dragging.

I’m now looking forward to the next part! Smile

Total Posts: 1239

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Hi!

Just to let know I managed to get to the temple. I am kind of frustrated now because a couple of puzzles so I’d better write my thoughts tomorrow.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I used the soldier key with the bird back in the first chapter, thought it was a logical solution as well as the puzzle itself. I did found the stones by luck, but by that time I was used to the idea I have to search every screen for hotspots (which wasn’t necessary the case with the second chapter, but I didn’t know it by that time).

PC means personal computer

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Well, I have got mixed feelings about this game. So far, I love the background story and the setting. But it bothers me a lot the lack of item’s descriptions. Sometimes I don’t even know what I just picked up, let alone what it is supposed to be used for.

Another difficult thing to me ir how to move, for instance at the attic, although it maybe my fault beacuse I don’t usually play first-person games.

About the stones, I found one by chance, and obviously I had to come back to the beach later for more. Stoning the bird people was a funny red herring, I should have guessed that it the toy was spinning in the inventory, it was for some reason…

The questioning about how bird people can fly, well, it is another dimension, or a parallel reality, so maybe rules of physics work differently?

I got frustrated with the flying bird saucer, as there was no clue what was wrong with it. I placed the gears but no sign I had to use a lever to pump gas or whatever (it is me or the hilighted cursor works when it feels like it?)

Anyway, I realize this kind of mechanical puzzles are not my cup of tea (that’s propably the reason I have never played Myst yet), but I like the story and I want to find out where the game is going to, so I stand by and wait for more…

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’m glad you’re hanging in there, Walas.  Just holler if you get stuck.  I’ve been trying to give directions without giving too much away, but I can be more specific if necessary.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

walas74 - 04 October 2020 05:37 PM

Well, I have got mixed feelings about this game. So far, I love the background story and the setting. But it bothers me a lot the lack of item’s descriptions. Sometimes I don’t even know what I just picked up, let alone what it is supposed to be used for.

I got frustrated with the flying bird saucer, as there was no clue what was wrong with it. I placed the gears but no sign I had to use a lever to pump gas or whatever (it is me or the hilighted cursor works when it feels like it?)

The lack of inventory definitions is a problem. But it is a problem only because we’ve been spoiled by more recent games. Inventory call outs were not always standard. But, you can marginally assume that when you find an inventory item you will find a use for it soon. Bird/Toy soldier, stones, keys, hex wrench, etc.

I don’t remember who came up with the name, but the bird saucer you speak of was called an Ornithopter in the WT I worked on. But to your problem. I can really see that if you aren’t familiar with, or don’t like first-person, inventory-based puzzles, this could be an issue. Since I play a lot of casual games, and they are almost always first person games, I might be more familiar with this type of game.

Don’t give up.

Tim

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Lady Kestrel - 04 October 2020 06:32 PM

I’m glad you’re hanging in there, Walas.  Just holler if you get stuck.  I’ve been trying to give directions without giving too much away, but I can be more specific if necessary.

Thanks! I will holler (didn’t know that one, I knew shout and yell…)

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

You could also cry out, call out, roar, bellow, bawl, bark, howl, boom, thunder, shriek or screech. Smile

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

And scream I suppose Tongue

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Indeed! Grin

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

rtrooney - 04 October 2020 07:52 PM
walas74 - 04 October 2020 05:37 PM

The lack of inventory definitions is a problem. But it is a problem only because we’ve been spoiled by more recent games. Inventory call outs were not always standard. But, you can marginally assume that when you find an inventory item you will find a use for it soon. Bird/Toy soldier, stones, keys, hex wrench, etc.

I don’t remember who came up with the name, but the bird saucer you speak of was called an Ornithopter in the WT I worked on. But to your problem. I can really see that if you aren’t familiar with, or don’t like first-person, inventory-based puzzles, this could be an issue. Since I play a lot of casual games, and they are almost always first person games, I might be more familiar with this type of game.

Don’t give up.

Tim

Thanks for your support! After so many times voting for Lighthouse, or course I am not giving up. I just hope to find more stones if I get stuck again haha!

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

walas74 - 04 October 2020 08:50 PM

Thanks for your support! After so many times voting for Lighthouse, or course I am not giving up. I just hope to find more stones if I get stuck again haha!

Well, after so many times nominating the game, we’re on equal footing.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top