• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #62 - Lighthouse: The Dark Being

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I think I already said that this is my least remembered location. But, I think you will be best served by returning to the Lighthouse and then portal your way back to the Roost.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Have you spoken to Liryl in depth?  Has she mentioned something that was taken apart and pieces hidden?  Do you remember where you worked on something that you couldn’t finishIt’s a place you can’t get to unless you use the machine

Edit: I was trying not to give it all away at once, RT.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Oh ok, thank you rtrooney and Lady Kestrel Smile I knew something was not right, although I didn’t link Liryl’s words to anything, thought it was just some background story.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Rabafratzen machine!!!!!  My hair will be completely white before I get this right.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Lady Kestrel - 05 October 2020 09:32 PM

Have you spoken to Liryl in depth?  Has she mentioned something that was taken apart and pieces hidden?  Do you remember where you worked on something that you couldn’t finishIt’s a place you can’t get to unless you use the machine

Edit: I was trying not to give it all away at once, RT.

I actually think my post was meant to hash out the use of modulator bulbs rather than give a hint as to where to go and how to get there. But I can understand how the two topics got conflated.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I didn’t have a “long gaming session” this week, so I didn’t continue the game before tonight. Which means I’ve been lagging behind already.

Just now reached the temple and I’m ready for the third section.

Lady Kestrel - 01 October 2020 11:21 AM

For this playthrough, we will be taking the upper one now and the lower one later.

It took me until I had almost completed this section before I even *found* the lower route… Tongue

I did a bit of save-scumming to get rid of the Birdman before he could steal or break things.

I had fun with the desk and all its secret compartments. Always leaves me with a nagging “am I sure I got everything?” feeling afterwards, though. Tongue
But I got through to the temple ok. So onwards now! Smile

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

I’ve reached the temple, with lots of things in my inventory that I haven’t used yet. Hopefully, I’ll be able to finish section 3 before Monday.

walas74 - 04 October 2020 05:37 PM

Another difficult thing to me ir how to move, for instance at the attic, although it maybe my fault beacuse I don’t usually play first-person games.

I also find moving around to be quite unintuitive in some places.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Ok. That was a wild chapter. I finally managed to trap the birdman, make Liryl trust me, activate the teleporter, go back to the lighthouse, solve the last piece of the cube, obtain the vial from within, activate the lab portal (took me another power modulator mind you) and finally go back to Martin’s Roost.

Many memorable moments. I loved the character of Liryl! She was so cute and sweet and adorable! Smile A shame that her voice was like nails on a chalkboard, so I was double happy when I heard her real voice, at the narration of this world’s history.
Speaking of, we learned a lot about both this world’s lore and about the “Dark Being”. Also, I hope we won’t see the birdman again any time soon.

I hated, hated, HATED the teleporter puzzle. After hours and hours of wondering what I was doing wrong and nothing gets activated, I discovered that I was doing nothing wrong!!!! There was just no cutscene or special sound effect to indicate that there was a freakin portal open behind me!!!  Angry  Angry  Angry  Pan  Pan  Pan

The game continues to give me the “Obsidian” vibes and I like it a lot. I also have to praise the concept of “various paths” of exploration that gives the game a more “open world” sensation. Not many games do that (though the Myst games and most of all Riven, are certainly some of them).

EDIT: Now that I think about it, we left the Bat-plane at the Temple!! We have no way to go back there!!!

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

YES YES YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JUST BEAT THAT INFERNAL STUPID TOWER MACHINE THING!

Mini Frown Gasp Mini Frown Frown  Cry  Cry  Cry  Pan  Pan  Pan  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Wow. Am I the only one who had almost no trouble beating the machine? I honesty hold no memories of it (or this level at all, maybe I even missed it during my first play), and I started by mindlessly pulling all switches and pushing all buttons, then turned on the machine and somehow everything quickly made sense. I was stuck for a while only on saving the destination, because I missed the button.

The puzzle felt pretty epic, and Liryl provided some useful hints. I also liked her a lot, she is so beautiful and sad, and her story was both informative and heartbreaking if a bit too long, gives a lot of depth to the story. A very unique character, especially in a game with so few of them.

My biggest problem during this chapter was the puzzle box. I wrote down the final combination during my journeys, but it didn’t work, of course. I tried to recall where I encountered it by loading previous saves, thinking that maybe I made a mistake or missed a clue, but couldn’t find the place! Only by trial and error I figured the first combination, then easily solved the puzzle. Probably missed another clue from Liryl, but that part was frustrating.

Now that I’m finished I can say that this chapter also felt quite different. It was even less interactive during the first part (practically no puzzles) and VERY interactive during the second part where you feel almost lost among those countless switches. I also fought with navigation, especially when you have to run in zigzags to the open portal. Hardly intuitive, but that’s 1996 for you.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I started playing the temple this morning. I didn’t remember much about Liryl. Probably because I’m sure she bored me to tears, and she succeeded in doing it again. There was something about our encounter that caused me to replay it. (Which also meant that I had to be bored twice.) She talks about receiving gifts. In my inventory I have two sets of shells, one from the base of the temple, and a set of metal parts from the Birdman’s workshop. She will accept and thank you for all three. But I later thought that maybe I shouldn’t have given her the metal stuff. So I replayed, and only gave her the two sets of shells, and I still made it all the way through the conversation.. Don’t know which set of actions is correct.

Also solved the flower puzzle with a great deal of difficulty. And some brute force. The solution given in the WT was not much help. I don’t know if ringing chimes L/R or R/L makes a difference, but you have to be consistent throughout the puzzle. Also, I had to perform the last three actions twice. First time I did it - no disk. After returning the straight lever to its starting position, I did the three moves again, and received the CD. Strange. Now I’m off to watch the hologram. I don’t know if it’s more boredom.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Watched the hologram. If was much better because the voice was clean. I think I have a problem. Went to the underground and found parts. Came up to the teleporter. Somehow I missed finding the device diagram, and now have no way to go back down to get it. Is the a restart from a saved game situation? Is it possible to proceed without the diagram?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

When you get back from the lighthouse, you can call the flying machine with your whistle and go back to the temple to get it.  You also can get the coordinates for the volcano in the lower area, if you don’t already have them.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Lady Kestrel - 07 October 2020 06:38 PM

When you get back from the lighthouse, you can call the flying machine with your whistle and go back to the temple to get it.  You also can get the coordinates for the volcano in the lower area, if you don’t already have them.

Got the coordinates. While I’m at it, four of the parts I found in the lower area fit together. Two Liryl said, were part of the device, but don’t seem to fit with the other assembled parts. One, the circuit board, she doesn’t recognize. I’ve got to be missing something.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

I’ve finished section 3, now being back at Martin’s Roost.

The first time I managed to activate the teleportation device, Liryl was mad at me for some reason so she didn’t talk to me before I left. I had to reload and replay half the section in order to get a proper goodbye from her. The second time I realized she could be used for hints about how to operate the machine. That would have been useful, because I had to use a lot of trial and error to get it right.

Lady Kestrel - 05 October 2020 02:23 PM

Eventually you will find an unusual mode of transportation that will, with a brief but familiar stop in between, lead you back to Martin’s Roost.

I thought somehow that this meant we should try to go directly to Martin’s Roost, but would make a short stop on the way. After realizing this was wrong, I had to reload again and activate the machine a third time in order to instead teleport to the lighthouse. Solving the final part of the puzzle box was simple enough since I had managed to take a snapshot of the slip of paper earlier.

rtrooney - 07 October 2020 06:12 PM

Somehow I missed finding the device diagram, and now have no way to go back down to get it. Is the a restart from a saved game situation? Is it possible to proceed without the diagram?

You should definitely be able to go back down and get the diagram. Just retract the walkway if it’s blocking your access to the lift lever.

rtrooney - 07 October 2020 07:07 PM

four of the parts I found in the lower area fit together. Two Liryl said, were part of the device, but don’t seem to fit with the other assembled parts. One, the circuit board, she doesn’t recognize. I’ve got to be missing something.

Three of the parts fit together and can be used if you break the thing in the top of the machine. The circuit board is not used with the teleportation machine, I think.

Edit: Added spoiler tags that somehow disappeared.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top