• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceanGabrielrtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Life Is Strange Using A Mouse

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

It would appear that I can’t keep away from talking about controllers all of a sudden Smile

Having just finished Unavowed I though I’d start Life Is Strange. I played the demo a long time ago which was ok and it seems to have been reasonably appreciated here.

But.

In using the WASD keys to get up to the lighthouse wasn’t particularly easy but I put that down to the fact that I rarely play any games that rely on a keyboard. However, when, in the classroom, the early tutorial said to hold down the left mouse button and drag it to a bit of paper on the desk the mouse would not drag that far making it impossible to continue. I’ve never had a problem like that before and I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem.

I did find though that the game is configured for using a controller, specifically the Xbox one which, if you’ve following my waffling elsewhere, you’ll know that I own. Has anyone used a controller with the game and if so how did you get on with it? I still haven’t used one for a game and I don’t want to put myself off using one for ever by trying it on a game that it doesn’t work particularly well with.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Jabod - 24 August 2018 06:17 AM

It would appear that I can’t keep away from talking about controllers all of a sudden Smile

Having just finished Unavowed I though I’d start Life Is Strange. I played the demo a long time ago which was ok and it seems to have been reasonably appreciated here.

But.

In using the WASD keys to get up to the lighthouse wasn’t particularly easy but I put that down to the fact that I rarely play any games that rely on a keyboard. However, when, in the classroom, the early tutorial said to hold down the left mouse button and drag it to a bit of paper on the desk the mouse would not drag that far making it impossible to continue. I’ve never had a problem like that before and I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem.

I did find though that the game is configured for using a controller, specifically the Xbox one which, if you’ve following my waffling elsewhere, you’ll know that I own. Has anyone used a controller with the game and if so how did you get on with it? I still haven’t used one for a game and I don’t want to put myself off using one for ever by trying it on a game that it doesn’t work particularly well with.

It works great with a controller. You really don’t need to do anything special to use it if I remember correctly. Just plug and play.

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Cheers SD.

I suspect most people will think I’m a bit weird (probably true Smile ) but, when I’m trying something new I don’t want to be put off using it (whatever *it* might be) because it’s not doing what I expect it to be doing.
Life Is Strange is a case in point where this is concerned. When I started it and tried getting up the hill to the lighthouse I had a great deal of trouble using the WASD keys in getting there. That could be down to me of course as I have rarely played games using the keyboard. If I have the same problems using a controller with Life Is Strange then it may put off using a controller again. I try to balance my expectations with the known reality of others.

As, for some reason, the mouse won’t work properly for me it could be argued that I lose nothing by trying the controller. We’ll see a bit further down the line as I’m currently replaying Blackwell at the moment.

Out of curiosity.

I’m taking it that you’ve played LIS. It occurred to me after my original post that the difficulty walking up the hill in the storm is a game device to simulate the problems a person would have in a real storm of that magnitude. Did others find this and, if so, well done to the developers for doing it.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Jabod - 28 August 2018 05:53 AM

Out of curiosity.

I’m taking it that you’ve played LIS. It occurred to me after my original post that the difficulty walking up the hill in the storm is a game device to simulate the problems a person would have in a real storm of that magnitude. Did others find this and, if so, well done to the developers for doing it.

Yeah definitely, you bring up a very interesting topic about using controls as gameplay elements. The first part was meant to be difficult to climb because the wind is blowing your way. Mind you, this is not the first time that controls have been used for gameplay.

The first game that comes to mind is the stealth/action game Metal Gear Solid on the old Playstation. It had brilliant use of the controller. I will elaborate in spoilers, so anyone reading this, be forewarned if you are ever going to play the game.

There is a torture scene in that game where you are supposed to press a button as fast as you can to emulate the torture. It keeps going for a while, and your arm starts hurting from all the intense and quick button presses. Once the torture scene is over, the game asks you to put the controller on your arm and it starts vibrating. It actually feels soothing, like you are taking a rest from a long torture.

What is even more crazy and breaks the 4th wall in that game is:
The fight against the boss Psycho Mantis. He is a telepath, so he reads your mind and can detect your every move. To beat him, you call your officer who suggests to you to plug in the controller into the other port. You actually physically unplug the controller from your Playstation, and plug it into another port, and then he can’t read your mind anymore.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

SoccerDude - 28 August 2018 02:41 PM

There is a torture scene in that game where you are supposed to press a button as fast as you can to emulate the torture. It keeps going for a while, and your arm starts hurting from all the intense and quick button presses. Once the torture scene is over, the game asks you to put the controller on your arm and it starts vibrating. It actually feels soothing, like you are taking a rest from a long torture.

What is even more crazy and breaks the 4th wall in that game is:
The fight against the boss Psycho Mantis. He is a telepath, so he reads your mind and can detect your every move. To beat him, you call your officer who suggests to you to plug in the controller into the other port. You actually physically unplug the controller from your Playstation, and plug it into another port, and then he can’t read your mind anymore.

This is exactly why I thought that Cing was doing such wonderful things with the DS gameplay, by making you solve puzzles by closing the DS (to simulate something in-game), or by having you blow into the microphone, etc.
Out-of-the-box puzzles! Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top