• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

IronCretin

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Question for Danish/Swedish/Norwegian posters

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I know the Scandinavian languages (with the exception of Finnish) are very similar. I watched an episode of The Bridge 1 last night and wondered what language the Swedish policewoman and the Danish policaman were speaking together and with other people. Do they switch from Swedish to Danish and vice versa? Do they speak their own native language and everybody understands them? Doesn’t sound ideal when interviewing suspects.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

The Danish speak Danish and the Swedes Swedish.

Danish, Norwegian and Swedish are so close that with a bit of care we can understand each other, though misunderstanding do sometimes happen and some are better at it than others (especially the Danish numbers utterly confuses the Swedes). The fact that it takes place in eastern Denmark and southern Sweden where we are more used to hearing respectively Swedish and Danish also helps.

Also if I remember correctly it is mainly the Swedish policewomen that interview Swedish suspects and witnesses and the other way around for Danish civilians.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

I wanted to make similar topic after watching Bridge (season 2 was super intense).
Sharp writing, un-orhtodox characters and DoP/Music through the roof.

I want to know where the second season is shot, Bridge makes me want to go those
places.

1. Shooting locations??? Hotels i know some like Copenhagen Radisson etc.
Want to know other locations.

2. Is the weather/skyline as Grey as shown in the series?
Really loved the thick atmosphere. Or when can i visit(quarter/season) there to enjoy weather like that??
I ask this because i know what cinematography can do and if its only camera magic.

3. Which one is better for a visit , Sweden or Denmark?

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

1) Ehhh… I’m not really an expert on the show, in fact I haven’t watched the 2nd season… yet. But I did find this link that might help you.

2) Well right now it is a beautiful sunny day, but yes it can be and is often really that grey. If grey weather is what you are looking for you best bet would be November or perhaps December, but the weather here is quite unpredictable, so you might get unlucky and have sunny weather during your entire stay, or for that matter lucky and have depressingly grey weather (almost) regardless of the season.

3) Denmark obviously… But I’m not unbiased in this Wink
Either way Copenhagen and Malmø is only a short train ride from each other.

Edit: I can’t swear that they didn’t also use some film magic to enhance the greyness.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Iznogood - 23 August 2014 07:20 AM

Edit: I can’t swear that they didn’t also use some film magic to enhance the greyness.

They are totally using a filter that washes out color. (I don’t know the actual name of the filter… Might just be called a grey filter, though)

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

They definitely made everything a little more bleak in the show. We do however get bad weather quite often.

I’m Danish and I personally have a /very/ hard time understanding Swedish and somewhat of a hard time understanding Norwegian. I think Swedish and Norwegian resembles each other more than Danish does with either of them.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 23 August 2014 05:34 PM

I’m Danish and I personally have a /very/ hard time understanding Swedish and somewhat of a hard time understanding Norwegian.

Well apart from geographical differences (east-west Denmark) then it is also a question of age. My generation and older are usually fairly good at understanding Swedish, and a Swede and Dane both of my generation wouldn’t dream of not speaking Danish/Swedish to each other, in fact I have a colleague who is Swedish and we all talk the same kind of Danish/Swedish with her as they do in the show.
But the young ones…

Kasper F. Nielsen - 23 August 2014 05:34 PM

I think Swedish and Norwegian resembles each other more than Danish does with either of them.

In spoken form, yes.
But in writing Danish and Norwegian (bokmål) are almost completely identical.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Iznogood - 23 August 2014 10:55 PM

So why are they considered languages and not dialects?

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Karlok - 24 August 2014 08:11 AM
Iznogood - 23 August 2014 10:55 PM

So why are they considered languages and not dialects?

Not a bad question, in fact looking it up I found this quote on Wikipedia

From a linguistic point of view, Bokmål and Danish are the same language

Though Norwegian actually has two written forms Bokmål the most used, and Nynorsk (New Norwegian) which isn’t as close to Danish as Bokmål is.

I think part of the reason is that there is a much larger differences in the pronunciation of the words, and between the spoken languages in general, but the fact that Denmark and Norway are two different countries is probably also a factor. If Norway hadn’t become independent of Denmark in 1814 (only to be forced into a union with Sweden instead) Danish and Norwegian might have been considered two dialects of the same language.

If you are interested Wikipedia has a nice little article on the subject.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

When i was admiring weather/cloud skylines in Bron, it felt like games with dark atmosphere. Then i thought how one can live with this overcast for a year, with minimum Sunrays in constant winter. Then suicide rates of Sweden came to my mind.

I googled a bit and found its still a famous Myth/reality???
Some tried to link the season/weather with high suicide rates, some say that High quality life, high satisfaction leads to this behavior like Japan, but Japan has spiritual historical connections.

So what gives???

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Actually Finland is the Europe’s Japan according to suicide rates (and many other things too). The stereotypical Finn is a lot more reserved than the stereotypical Swedish. Here we actually consider Swedish people to be kinda ultra positive and many people even throw around fairy jokes (with good and bad intentions) about Swedish.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

millenia - 29 August 2014 12:45 AM

Actually Finland is the Europe’s Japan according to suicide rates (and many other things too). The stereotypical Finn is a lot more reserved than the stereotypical Swedish. Here we actually consider Swedish people to be kinda ultra positive and many people even throw around fairy jokes (with good and bad intentions) about Swedish.

So its the same reason as having so many luxuries in the form of Social Security,
good employment, good quality of life etc. and done everything now there is no
need to live or just social isolation from each other and world apart.

Swedes are smart people IMO considering how in recent years they have produced so many
awesome game developers. Minecraft/notch, Starbreeze, Machinegames, Hotlinemiami guys etc. From the content and emotions in these games, they sure know alot about world outside.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

nomadsoul - 29 August 2014 05:51 PM
millenia - 29 August 2014 12:45 AM

So its the same reason as having so many luxuries in the form of Social Security,
good employment, good quality of life etc. and done everything now there is no
need to live or just social isolation from each other and world apart.

No, the first one is wrong, I believe. The second one is much more correct. A very important factor is also that in the winter we’re one of the darkest countries in the world because the day is so short - in the north there’s the time when the sun doesn’t rise at all. And that has a big effect on the people.

Swedes are smart people IMO considering how in recent years they have produced so many awesome game developers. Minecraft/notch, Starbreeze, Machinegames, Hotlinemiami guys etc. From the content and emotions in these games, they sure know alot about world outside.

Oh, Finland is up there too - all the Nordic countries are. It’s the education system.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

To all Scandanavian posters,
Recommend me some great Thriller/Drama movies from your countries.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’m not Scandinavian, but you can’t go wrong with (the internationally renowned) Hodejegerne (Headhunters) and Jagten (The Hunt), imo.

If you like Hodejegerne, you may want to check out production company Yellow Bird’s other films and series. They have a very solid track record of “turning bestsellers into blockbusters”. The series Wallander and Irene Huss, as well as the Millennium trilogy are theirs, for instance.

Also, if you haven’t seen it yet, I heartily recommend Låt den rätte komma in (Let the Right One In). It’s imo one of the best films of the last decade. But it’s a vampire movie that falls more into horror/drama, so it might not be what you’re looking for…

I haven’t seen a lot of the more obscure movies, though. Would love to learn of a few as well. Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

TimovieMan - 07 October 2014 06:32 AM

I’m not Scandinavian, but you can’t go wrong with (the internationally renowned) Hodejegerne (Headhunters) and Jagten (The Hunt), imo.

If you like Hodejegerne, you may want to check out production company Yellow Bird’s other films and series. They have a very solid track record of “turning bestsellers into blockbusters”. The series Wallander and Irene Huss, as well as the Millennium trilogy are theirs, for instance.

Also, if you haven’t seen it yet, I heartily recommend Låt den rätte komma in (Let the Right One In). It’s imo one of the best films of the last decade. But it’s a vampire movie that falls more into horror/drama, so it might not be what you’re looking for…

I haven’t seen a lot of the more obscure movies, though. Would love to learn of a few as well. Cool

Bron and The Hunt actually made me ask the question. These 2 were the only exposure i had.
So i was looking for similar awesome cinematography and thrilling suspense films.
Mads Mikkelsen is brilliant actor.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top