• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The car thread

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Yesterday I went to a Morgan event with my brother, in Assen, The Netherlands. It was great to see all those cute cars racing and just standing there being beautiful. A tiny impression:

There were a LOT of Morgans there, but also other cars.

The ugly squinting Morgan. There were about 5 of those present, in different colors.

This one even has a back seat, and even more leg space in the back than my car!

Racing Morgan. The ones that participated in the racing were very spartan with minimal interior, metal dashboards etc.

Morgan built a lot of threewheelers too, and they’re still building them today. This is a very old one.

There were also different cars. I guess Gamma (a big DIY chain) paid a lot to get their own race there. But who cares: they had some great cars there, as you can see!

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Cool old cars.

Personally I drive a Fiesta, but mine can’t do this….

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Lovely Morgans, tsa!  They have such pretty lines. 

My father-in-law had a 3-wheel Morgan when he was young.  He told the story of going full chat on the cobblestones in Newtownards, N. Ireland when he hit a patch of cow manure and spun down the main road.  It happened to be market day, but he didn’t hit anyone nor anything, thank goodness.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Last Sunday I went to the Louwmann Museum; one of the largest personal collections of cars in the world. They had the Mercedes Silberpfeile on display there, borrowed from the Mercedes Museum in Germany.

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I was on an oldtimer festival this weekend. The most beautiful car was this old Chevvy that was quite dilapidated.

There was also a DeLorean. This is what the interior looks like when it doesn’t have a time machine built in.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

tsa - 03 December 2013 04:47 PM

There was also a DeLorean. This is what the interior looks like when it doesn’t have a time machine built in.

Did it have a unique Back to the Future-related license plate? Most do…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

TimovieMan - 03 December 2013 04:58 PM
tsa - 03 December 2013 04:47 PM

Did it have a unique Back to the Future-related license plate? Most do…

This was a Dutch one, so no. Just the old yellow plate with black letters like all cars have here.

By the way and something completely different, while I was waiting for the guys at the Peugeot garage to change the rear brakes on my car yesterday I found a tiny picture of an amazing concept car from the 1970s in a magazine: the Ferrari 512 Modulo. Check this out:

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

And today I made an appointment to drive one of those:

It’s from 2003, with an automatic gearbox and a big 2.6 l V6 engine that gobbles fuel like there is no crisis. That last thing is what probably will hold me back from buying it.

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

So today I drove the Mercedes CLK I talked about above. This morning the guy from the garage called to ask if we really wanted to drive it. I said yes and when we got there (I had taken my friend A. with me) the car was already running and warm. Strange, we thought. Is there something wrong with it? We would soon find out. The first part of the trip was for me to drive. The car beeped every few meters or so while I was driving off the parking lot to indicate other cars that were close by and I could very well see myself. It also told me one of the license plate lights was broken. We also found that it smelled funny and it looked quite dirty on the inside. The steering was quite heavy too. But it moved so I took it over the motorway to Hilversum where we were to change drivers and try out the automatic roof. That worked fine; it was quiet and it drove well if you don’t count the automatic gearbox that almost always seemed to be in the wrong gear. But I have never come across a good-working old-fashioned automatic gearbox so I thought that was normal. On the way to Hilversum A. got a bit hot so he changed the temperature on the airco, and his finger stuck to the button! Yuck!
In Hilversum I put the car on a parking spot and tried to open the roof, but the car told me to do something in the trunk first. So I stopped the engine, got out and tried to find out what I had to do in the trunk. The inside of the trunk looked interesting. I never knew Mercedes used tie wraps to tie certain parts of the upholstery together. But I couldn’t find out what to do in there so we left the roof on and changed drivers.
Now A. had to drive home so he had to start the car. Whatever we tried, we could not get the car to start again! Now we knew why it was already running when we arrived at the garage in Huizen! Eventually I called the garage and was told that the battery was dead, so we had to wait until someone came to help us. Now we had time to take a good look at the car. We were not pleased. On the outside it looked great. No problems there. On the inside the roof looked a smudgy grey. Here and there were some white spots of the original color left. The safety belts were so dirty it looked like a special fungus lived in there. The mirror in the sunscreen on my side was lined with some brownish goo. The whole car was yuck!
After we arrived back in Huizen I told the garage guy that I didn’t want the car because it was so dirty. Oh, he said, But we will clean it if you take it! Look at this car here, we also thought we couldn’t save that one but now it’s ok. So we told him that no thanks, we wouldn’t buy the car and went home.
This was definitely the most fun I ever had during a test drive but it was also the dirtiest, yuckiest car I have ever driven. How can you as a garage employee let people drive such a car? And how can even think about expecting people to first buy it and then have it cleaned? Amazing. The garage made a very bad impression there. But we had a great time altogether Smile.

Total Posts: 191

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

An awesomely cool car-related website featuring scans of car brochures from years gone by-
http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/

It’s mostly North American makes and models from the teens or twenties through the eighties.

Warning- People won’t have as much of a sense of humor about you putting an Alka Seltzer in your mouth then staggering into a restaurant while shouting “THE VIRUS HAS MUTATED!” as you’d hope they would.

Consider this: People say “Ewwww!!!” when they hear about a guy having a hairy bum or hairy back, yet every Teddy Bear ever made has had both a hairy bum AND a hairy back and nobody complains about them; In fact, people think Teddy Bears are adorable.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top