• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoIronCretinJdawg445Lady Kestrelwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Mission Critical via DOSBOX

Total Posts: 37

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

I’m using DOSBOX to run Mission Critical. Very modern machine and I use DOSBOX to run a bunch of other stuff flawlessly but Mission Critical is giving me an issue. I’m using DFEND Reloaded as a front end but I even tried just doing it via DOSBOX and manually mounting drives etc and same issue.

It launches fine, video runs fine, starts the actual game fine.

However, before it asks for Disc 2 it says “CAN’T OPEN C:\MISSION\RESTART.DAT”

Then, when I try to save my game it says “CAN’T OPEN C:\MISSION\MC000.SAV”

So I can’t save.

I’ve never had this issue with other games.

Any ideas?

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Do these files already exist in the game directory? Could they be write-protected, for some reason?

Also, are the game data files actually in <directory_mounted_as_C>\MISSION? (Those sound like silly suggestions, but you never know…)

I was also going to suggest that you look on VOGONS, but I see you’ve already asked there, so I don’t know what more to tell you…

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Yea, it’s really weird. No it’s set up okay, and RESTART.DAT does already exist since Mission Critical installs it.

The weird thing is, I have now launched DOSBOX by itself, without the front end, and I can get it to work. It doesnt argue about RESTART.DAT and I can save.

Problem is manually inputting all the IMGMOUNTS and stuff is annoying and I’d rather just launch it via the front end but I don’t know what would be causing it to have an issue from just launching via the front end.

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Sigh.. okay I solved it. Apparently Mission Critical is very fussy about the directory and normally I just associate C with the game directory but it didn’t like that, it wants to be associated with the root, which is understandable. Works fine now that I made that change.

I’m dumb.

Carry on Smile

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I’m not familiar with D-FEND, so I can’t help with that. But you can put all your mount commands in the [autoexec] section of dosbox.conf to automate that part.

EDIT: Too late. And I can’t delete my post. Oh well.

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Yeah, thanks for the help. It took me awhile to figure out what was different between just manually doing it and launching it with a front end and I knew it shouldn’t be anything to deal with sound or graphics. As I said, I’m just dumb Smile

I really like the front end, makes it easy to tweak each game to your personal liking as some are better with a little faster cycles, some are better with sound buffering tweaks, etc etc. Not to mention mounting CD images and such.

I’m working through an enormous backlog of DOS adventures I either never played, never finished, or have forgotten.

I should probably start a thread as a means of discussing all of these old adventures, could be fun.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

I hope the strategy mini-game runs fast enough for you in DosBox. It didn’t for me some years ago. Which is a shame because it’s actually really fun! Had to skip it. Frown

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top