• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

IronCretin

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game have you just finished?

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Overall I really enjoyed it and I’m thinking in playing Whispers of a Machine next since it comes from the same author. How does it generally measure against Kathy Rain?

Whispers of a Machine is a classic, a must play for a Kathy Rain fans. Won many awards and had many innovations in gameplay. Graphics were much improved as well.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I just finished Gray Matter. An amazing game. Loved the story, graphics and characters. It’s fun to get out my laptop and play some PC games. I’ll be doing more of these in the future.

This game is a true classic, to me as good as Syberia and Its too bad it didn’t sell enough to get more games like this one (Gray Matter 2).

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

We played though Book of Unwritten Tales on Discord.

I enjoyed it.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Just finished Undercover: Operation Wintersun. A typical low budget mid 2000’s adventure. Mediocre writing, bland voice acting, standard type puzzles, stale 3d characters/animation etc. The WW2 setting is rather unusual though and the game is much MUCH better than Undercover: Dual Motives created by the same people for the Nintendo DS.

Undercover: Operation Wintersun received 3.5/5 stars here at AG, which I find a bit generous. I give it 2/5.

The game worked fine in Windows 10, apart from a problem with the (very few) movies not showing unless I hit alt-tab… Seems to have been a problem with the game on some machines since Windows 7. The movies are watchable outside of the game too, so no biggie.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

I remember Operation Wintersun. If you looked up the word ‘mediocre’ in the dictionary, I wouldn’t be surprised you found a screenshot of that game there. Still, it was the mid 2000s so you took what you could get…

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Finished The Signifier. I have mixed feelings about it. The time I spent with the game was mostly great, at times really intriguing, but when watching the credits roll I felt… Well, the review here at AG is pretty much spot on I think. 3 stars. Halfway through I felt like I was playing a 4, maybe even a 4,5, star game, so ultimately a letdown. Don’t regret buying the game and spending the 5-6 hours it took me to get through it though. It has an interesting premise and somewhat original game mechanics.

There were some bugs, but GOG Galaxy installed an update just before I completed the game, so maybe all is well now.

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2018-01-09

PM

I finished Amnesia: Rebirth.

I love Frictional games.  They achieve a sense of immersion not seen in most other games.  The puzzles make sense as an integrated part of the world, and they walk the perfect line where they are not so easy that they feel pointless (i.e. walking simulator) and they are never so hard that I need a walkthrough.  Which adds to the immersion (because looking up a walkthrough takes you out of the experience of the game).  Or maybe I’m confusing the cause and effect.  It’s possible that because I’m so immersed in the game it doesn’t even occur to me to look up a walkthrough.  I’m roleplaying the character so deeply that if I can’t immediately figure out a puzzle, I wind up thinking “great, what do I do now?  Guess I’ll have to wander around in the dark some more.”  This adds to the fear.

Thomas Grip said in an interview that horror movies and horror games help us explore ideas and discuss questions that are too terrible to think about in our everyday lives.  For example with The Dark Descent, it explores themes of “what is good and evil?”  In particular what situation could cause an ordinary person to torture and kill another person and think they were completely justified and it was the right thing to do.  And if they later lost their memory of ever doing it, then found out about their past actions and were disgusted by them, could you still consider that person to be evil.  I think he also said in that interview that while Rebirth shares the same world as The Dark Descent, the story and themes being explored would be all new.  But after playing Rebirth it does seem like it retread a lot of the same ideas.  Although it does a good job of bringing them closer to the player.  The Dark Descent asks would you murder an innocent person to save yourself from an otherworldly curse?  Which is not a question that people can really relate to in their everyday lives.  Whereas Rebirth asks if you were a parent, would you murder an innocent person to save the life of your child?  Now that is a question that is much closer to people and probably 90% of people would say yes.  So then the implication is how are you any different from the evil alien civilization that harvests humans and murders them to produce the energy they need to sustain their technology and society?  If having someone precious to protect justifies survival at ANY cost, how are you not a monster?

Anyway, parts of Rebirth feel a bit unnecessary, like parts of the Myst sequels, where it just feels like an excuse to have the player see things and places that were only mentioned in the first game.  But Rebirth is definitely the better game in my opinion.

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

Rebirth better than TDD? Wow. High praise.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

russ869 - 27 October 2020 11:19 AM

they walk the perfect line where they are not so easy that they feel pointless (i.e. walking simulator) and they are never so hard that I need a walkthrough.  Which adds to the immersion (because looking up a walkthrough takes you out of the experience of the game).

I read in some other reviews that the game is way too linear, scripted and just too easy, easier than SOMA which was also criticized for being too easy (haven’t played it). And taken the fact that I didn’t need a walkthrough for the first Amnesia which I also found to be easier than the second Penumbra… I don’t like this trend at all.

Whereas Rebirth asks if you were a parent, would you murder an innocent person to save the life of your child?  Now that is a question that is much closer to people and probably 90% of people would say yes.  So then the implication is how are you any different from the evil alien civilization that harvests humans and murders them to produce the energy they need to sustain their technology and society?  If having someone precious to protect justifies survival at ANY cost, how are you not a monster?

I certainly didn’t expect this comparison of protecting your child to the evil alien civilization’s genocide of humans Laughing Here’s a real man’s answer to the problem:

edit: Heh, only after posting the screen I read that the game has a female protagonist, so a photo from Aliens would’ve been more suitable. I also read that writing was outsourced to some British company and that Mikael Hedberg, a creative mind behind Frictional’s best-known games, left the company some years ago, although he’s still credited with “story development”. Not that it’s a bad thing, but it might explain the change of storytelling methods as some people complain. I got reminded of the horrible mess Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs which was fully outsourced to the Dear Esther devs who in fact made a walking simulator out of Amnesia, but got away with it. Guess they were moving in this direction since.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Finished the CPT of Lighthouse: The Dark Being.

Even though it’s heavily flawed, I enjoyed the game. It manages to build up enough backstory to get you invested, and I like that you’re given a few options of going about your way (so it’s not too linear). Unfortunately the game mixes good sections with infuriating sections. I enjoyed the lighthouse and the fortress the most, with Martin’s Roost a close third, but then I disliked the volcano and I utterly despised the submarine and shipwreck sections. There were a lot of poorly clued-in puzzles, so a lot of it was “fiddling with things until you stumble on the solution”, which is not how it should be.
But the graphics were good for their time, and frankly, I enjoyed it more than Myst. Smile

Lighthouse: The Dark Being - 2.5/5

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 27 October 2020 08:18 PM

But the graphics were good for their time, and frankly, I enjoyed it more than Myst. Smile

When did you play Myst? I remember you saying you hadn’t played Myst when you didn’t understand a blue-page joke. That was only a couple of years ago. Did you play it recently and what didn’t you like about it?

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 27 October 2020 09:31 PM

When did you play Myst? I remember you saying you hadn’t played Myst when you didn’t understand a blue-page joke. That was only a couple of years ago. Did you play it recently and what didn’t you like about it?

The “blue page” joke was during the Obsidian CPT, wasn’t it? Grin

Well, I played Myst when it was still new, and hated it with a passion. Then I tried again with the (horrible) DS port which only made me hate it even more.
And then I finally played it early last year, but I used the realMyst: Masterpiece Edition instead of the regular game.

I had the option of putting it in slideshow mode but with transitions between the slides, which gave me gameplay that was as close to Myst as possible but mitigated the constant feeling of being lost and turning around endlessly.

I ended up giving realMyst 2.5/5, which is the same score I gave Lighthouse, but the main difference here is that I played the original game of Lighthouse whereas I played an updated version of Myst that got rid of some of my biggest gripes with the game (and had better graphics but only because it was so much newer).
Extrapolating what I know of realMyst with what I know of Myst, would probably lead me to giving Myst a 2/5 score (which is actually rather generous considering how I’ve felt about that game for decades)...

Basically, Lighthouse has more story and pulls you in early, whereas Myst only really starts with its minimalist story once you’re out of the first world.
And Lighthouse starts off good, with the lighthouse itself and Martin’s Roost being pretty good game sections.
Myst starts off with the worst goddamned island in the entire game, which is a large reason why I hated it so thoroughly in the pre-internet days.

While both games are rather uneven, with some good sections and some very bad sections, at least Lighthouse got me going whereas Myst made it extremely hard for me to get into.
One of the few things that Myst did better was that most of the puzzles were better clued-in than those in Lighthouse, but even there the difference was minimal.
And while I also got lost on occasion in Lighthouse, at least the slideshow felt better/easier/smoother than the one in Myst.
Which is why, all things considered, I enjoyed Lighthouse better. Smile

Edit: I posted a bit in the realMyst thread back then as well.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

I tried realMyst once. 2.5/5 is generous, I’d probably give it a 1. And the original Myst gets at least a 4 from me.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Vehelon - 28 October 2020 06:25 AM

I tried realMyst once. 2.5/5 is generous, I’d probably give it a 1. And the original Myst gets at least a 4 from me.

How does that even work? It’s the exact same game, just with updated graphics and additional gameplay modes. And a bonus age to tease Riven.

How do you get such discrepancy between the original and what’s basically a “Remastered version”?

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

The real time movement makes it so tedious. What used to take 5 seconds to navigate with a few clicks now takes 30. It also pixelates heavily when you move close to things. The rest I can’t explain, it just somehow ruins a perfectly good game. And it doesn’t make it any more immersive.

But what about you? How does it work that you don’t like Myst’s navigation and made it through Lighthouse? From what I remember there’s barely a difference.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top