• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieIronCretin

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Recent movies seen

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Warcraft is now the highest grossing video game movie of all time.

While Western market is stuck in profiting comic based stuff, China saved Duncan jones.
Wink

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

So i watched Shallows,

I was right, 

Blake is sandra bollock like strong female trying to survive cg water instead of cg space.

But Sandra sux and Blake lively is Hot.

So ,

4/5

Deadpool was right to make Blake his wife.

And all is not lost when you realize Blake is at least not CG but real

Wink

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Great robbery film, great cinematography,Chrispine looked and acted great.

4/5

99%

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hell_or_high_water/

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Star Trek: Beyond - 3/5

Overall a solid offering, but hardly anything that truly stands out. Very enjoyable, though.

I watched it in a new format called “Barco Escape” (warning: product placement for Barco Shifty Eyed), which basically means that there are two sidescreens that get images projected on them throughout the film. Basically, when a CGI action sequence starts, the screen becomes ultra-wide-screen, while most other moments just have you looking at the regular middle screen.
Frankly, it’s more distracting than beneficial, especially since some shots use it while others don’t. The constant change between light/dark gets distracting, and there’s no looking past the line that separates the screens (and the ever so slight difference in colouring of the images that are being projected). It would work better if the screen actually were so wide (and curvier) instead of it being one regular screen with two screens at an angle.
There was one shot where it DID work beautifully, though. A quiet conversation shot on the Enterprise while in warp (with a back window showing the northern light-like blue-green hue that goes with warp). That same “warp hue” got displayed on the side screens to great effect.
So basically it works best as a state-of-the-art “ambilight” system and not so much as a means to widen the screen more… Tongue

A couple of things of note for Beyond:

- the “episodic” feel that Kirk gets during the 5-year mission was a fun remark
- Sulu being gay now was handled suitably low-key (which I liked), but above all, it felt like a tribute to George Takei
- J.J. Abrams not being in the director’s chair meant no lens flare!
- J.J. Abrams still being producer meant that some locations and shots felt like they didn’t really belong in Star Trek, but felt more like light sabers would’ve fit perfectly
- I love how they handled Leonard Nimoy’s passing
- They could’ve done more for Anton Yelchin than just a title card that read “for Anton” during the credits, though
- Seeing Karl Urban in this makes me wish they’d make a Dredd 2
- Shohreh Aghdashloo is starting to look her age (60+) instead of looking 12-15 years younger. Age catches up with all.
- Most. EPIC. Use. Of. Beastie Boys’. SABOTAGE! EVAR!!! Cool

Jason Bourne - 3/5

More of the same, but this time with an even more convoluted way to get Bourne involved, and without sequences that stand out (like the car chase in Supremacy and the Waterloo station and Marrakech scenes in Ultimatum). This still makes it a decent film, but it’s clearly inferior to the earlier installments, and I hope they stop making them before they do a Kingdom of the Crystal Skull or Good Day to Die Hard and destroy the series’ reputation.

Some points:
- Matt Damon looks absolutely ripped here
- Vincent Cassel as the rival Asset is perfectly cast - he’s great at stone-cold characters and has a perfect face for playing someone “tormented”
- Tommy Lee Jones looks FAR too old to still be believable as a non-retired character
- Alicia Vikander has a bright future ahead of her. Apparently she’s in a relationship with Michael Fassbender. Imagine the acting skills any kids would get out of that relationship… Gasp
- Since when are armoured SWAT trucks stronger than freakin’ TANKS? They stretch the limits of suspension of disbelief in the big chase sequence, imo.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Saw ST Beyond today, really enjoyed, from the new ones I probably like as much as the first, maybe more because of team focus. All members had a chance to shine, specially Karl Urban and Simon Pegg. I hope the new girl gets to join the crew, she was cool. Action scenes were also good but that was expecteed with the director involved.

TimovieMan - 29 August 2016 07:18 AM

A couple of things of note for Beyond:

- the “episodic” feel that Kirk gets during the 5-year mission was a fun remark
- Sulu being gay now was handled suitably low-key (which I liked), but above all, it felt like a tribute to George Takei
- J.J. Abrams not being in the director’s chair meant no lens flare!
- J.J. Abrams still being producer meant that some locations and shots felt like they didn’t really belong in Star Trek, but felt more like light sabers would’ve fit perfectly
- I love how they handled Leonard Nimoy’s passing
- They could’ve done more for Anton Yelchin than just a title card that read “for Anton” during the credits, though
- Seeing Karl Urban in this makes me wish they’d make a Dredd 2
- Shohreh Aghdashloo is starting to look her age (60+) instead of looking 12-15 years younger. Age catches up with all.
- Most. EPIC. Use. Of. Beastie Boys’. SABOTAGE! EVAR!!! Cool

Totally agree about the Sabotage. Excellent scene.
Also had one of the funniest lines I’ve seen in the Trek universe: You’ve put a tracking device on your girlfriend. Smile
Anton Yelchin passed away close to the release of the movie, probably too late to change anything.
I agree with the Numiy homage, very good, also enjoyed that old crew photo at the end

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

wilco - 30 August 2016 02:39 PM

Anton Yelchin passed away close to the release of the movie, probably too late to change anything.

I didn’t mean they should’ve changed anything in the film, but I had kinda expected a title card that said more than just “for Anton”.

wilco - 30 August 2016 02:39 PM

Also had one of the funniest lines I’ve seen in the Trek universe: You’ve put a tracking device on your girlfriend. Smile[/spoiler]

Full exchange:

McCoy: You gave your girlfriend radioactive jewelry?
Spock: The emission is harmless, however, its unique signature makes it very easy to identify.
McCoy: You gave your girlfriend a tracking device?
[beat]
Spock: ...That was not my intention…

Grin

When you let Simon Pegg write the screenplay, FUNNY happens. Smile

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

in the vein of original contemporary horros(like that of it follows) i can safely recommend Dont Breate.

Also Train to Busan is one of the best zombie movies.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Origami - 04 September 2016 06:22 AM

in the vein of original contemporary horros(like that of it follows) i can safely recommend Dont Breate.

Also Train to Busan is one of the best zombie movies.

Never heard about horros.
But if you mean horror, level up with this contemporary horror,

4.5/5

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

How ironic for you to comment on someones mistake in English spelling. lol

And no need for you to flex your ‘look at how cultured i am on foreign cinema’ muscle and possibly use them as contenders in future ‘guess the title’-esque games in the hopes that no one will ever guess them.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Origami - 04 September 2016 01:13 PM

How ironic for you to comment on someones mistake in English spelling. lol
And no need for you to flex your ‘look at how cultured i am on foreign cinema’ muscle and possibly use them as contenders in future ‘guess the title’-esque games in the hopes that no one will ever guess them.

uc4

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

nomadsoul - 04 September 2016 01:55 PM

uc4

uc4?

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Origami - 05 September 2016 08:59 AM
nomadsoul - 04 September 2016 01:55 PM

uc4

uc4?

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’d guess UnCharted 4.

WHY is a different question.

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

^

That is the question my question mark represented.

Meanwhile Nomadsoul just continues to prove my point…hehe

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Two of the most horrific JHorror films mixup, fight it out in really disturbing way.
Yup, that can only come from crazy japanese minds.
It was way too scary for me too, just disturbing at the end.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top