• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Recent movies seen

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

The Revenant - 4/5

I figured this was going to be overrated when I went in. I underestimated it.
Very solid film, with absolutely stunning cinematography, and several really intense and often brutal moments (the opening ambush, the bear attack, the horseback tracking shot, the finale).
Strong performance by DiCaprio, too. I thought they would give him the Oscar based on his career rather than on this film, but he’s good enough in this, imo.
Voice-over flashback scenes had a certain Terrence Malick-y poetic aura about them.

A pleasant surprise, better than I thought it would be. Needs to be seen on the big screen for the beautiful environmental shots alone.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Deadpool - 3/5

Very simple and basic superhero movie where the action direction doesn’t always succeed as it should (the downside of having a first-time director?). The movie gets saved by the humour, though, with more fourth-wall-breaking than I’ve probably ever seen in a film.

Colossus: “We’re taking you to the Professor.”
Deadpool: “Which one? McAvoy or Stewart? These timelines can get so confusing.”
Grin

Deadpool (to Colossus and Negasonic Teenage Warhead at the X-Men school): “Wow, this is such a big house, but I only ever see the two of you here. It’s like the studio didn’t have enough money for any more X-Men…”
Grin

This last one came seconds after I quipped to my friend that it’s only the same two each time because the studio probably didn’t want to pay any of the other X-Men actors. Tongue

And the Ferris Bueller’s Day Off stinger probably went over most people’s heads in the theatre where I watched it. Especially the “chick-chicka”. Or I’m starting to show my age compared to the target audience. Smile

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i just watched the Counselor(2013) yesterday, and for the first time since as far as i can remember i was disappointed at a Scott movie, i have no idea (tho i woke up today, first thing, having visions of this strangly disturbing movie) of what this was all about.
yea, its kinda obvious that RS might be hi(n)tting at how is one’s life reflect on his love life, no matter how/what decent or good he tries to be at home or family, it all comes down to a disaster (when one’s life is a total shame and disgrace) but then what THE HECK THIS MOVIE WAS ALL ABOUT?!!!

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

So, saw Batman vs Superman… well, at least it’s better than Fantastic Four. That’s a win! Smile

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I hadn’t been in a movie theater in ages but went with my sis and cousin to see Zootopia.  The animation and voice acting were excellent, there were a bunch of funny moments, and I liked the story.  I suspect there will be sequels.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Hardcore Henry

What is this, I don’t even

(1.5/5)

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Intense Degree - 13 April 2016 09:48 AM

Hardcore Henry

What is this, I don’t even

(1.5/5)

But how’s the HSQ? (Holy Shit Quotient) Grin

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

About equal with the facepalm rate - i.e. very high!

The head mounted go-pro first person perspective is a novel idea and it’s interesting for that, but the rest is pretty dire. The intention is kind of good, but you can’t get away from the fact it feels like it was made and written by a couple of HALO/COD playing 13 year olds, with all the maturity and attitude to women you might expect. Although as that is presumably the target audience fair enough I suppose!

Also a title sequence that features so much graphical, slow motion, close up death that even Jack the Ripper would have advised them to tone it down a bit.

Positives: reinforces my distaste for first person shooters! Wink

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Jafar Panahi’s Taxi 5/5 (or more)
I’ll keep this short, but I just had to talk about this movie (just came from seeing it). Jafar Panahi, easily one of Iran’s most respected filmmakers (a country which has produced surprisingly many incredible directors) - who has, however, been blacklisted by the government (banned from making films and was imprisoned for years) - made the movie where he drives around Teheran in a taxi (shot with inconspicuous cameras inside the car itself and a couple handhelds). It blurs the lines between documentary and fiction, and I don’t know if it was all acted or not. This movie is so simple yet it’s just absolutely masterful cinema that it just blew my mind. It’s funny, it’s touching, it talks about important issues and yet it’s never feels heavy in the slightest.

I haven’t seen many new movies but I have almost no doubt that this was the best movie of 2015. You just have to see it. This is really just cinema at its best.

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2016-02-01

PM

UPtimist - 14 April 2016 07:00 AM

Jafar Panahi’s Taxi 5/5 (or more)
I’ll keep this short, but I just had to talk about this movie (just came from seeing it). Jafar Panahi, easily one of Iran’s most respected filmmakers (a country which has produced surprisingly many incredible directors) - who has, however, been blacklisted by the government (banned from making films and was imprisoned for years) - made the movie where he drives around Teheran in a taxi (shot with inconspicuous cameras inside the car itself and a couple handhelds). It blurs the lines between documentary and fiction, and I don’t know if it was all acted or not. This movie is so simple yet it’s just absolutely masterful cinema that it just blew my mind. It’s funny, it’s touching, it talks about important issues and yet it’s never feels heavy in the slightest.

I haven’t seen many new movies but I have almost no doubt that this was the best movie of 2015. You just have to see it. This is really just cinema at its best.

Haha 5/5 or more, gotta remember that Thumbs Up

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Hardcore Henry - 2.5/5

Equal parts stupid and equal parts awesome, but a fun rollercoaster all-round, and I knew in advance the plot would be ridiculous.
The guy playing the big bad is horrible and should have been replaced by Jason Isaacs in Lucius Malfoy mode. Would’ve been a great deal more intimidating as well.
Sharlto Copley steals the show with a variety of characters, and he’s just the right amount of crazy/fun to be the perfect guy for a film like this.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - 2/5

The good:
Affleck makes a good Batman, and he’s never looked better. The bat suit is awesome, and the powered one is insanely cool. I love how they made Batman really rogue, and not adverse to guns.
Cavill still makes a great Superman.
I love that they’re taking the “collateral damage extravaganza” that was Man of Steel as a major plot point here.
Jeremy Irons as (the blatantly underused) Alfred.

The meh:
Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman. She’s too skinny for the role, imo. You need someone more like Lucy Lawless in her Xena days. Someone with a bit more meat on her bones. And she needed more “origin” story here, instead of just showing up and being able to kick ass more or less out of the blue.
I still think Diane Lane is too young to be playing Martha Kent.
Eisenberg as Lex Luthor. While he’s perfect as the smug/arrogant genius (he can channel his Zuckerberg performance again), it mostly falls flat because his character belongs in…

The bad:
Lex Luthor. Eisenberg is a good choice to make Luthor seem smart (if somewhat geeky), but his character never comes off as smart in this film. He comes off as bumbling along without a plan while trying to be some cheap knock-off version of Ledger’s Joker. It just doesn’t work at all. Also, we never see him deduce/plan anything with his allegedly superior intellect. He just has intel. And it’s never clear how he even obtained it in the first place.
Solving the “collateral damage extravaganza” from the first film by repeating it here, but by explicitly saying “good thing working hours are over, so that district is empty now”. No. Just no. Take. The. Fight. Outside. The. City. How hard can that be???
An overabundance of dream sequences. Especially that overly long “Knightmare” with “evil Superman”. That’s just lazy script writing, imo. The only thing it does is make Batman seem unstable.
The ending. The fact that [spoiler]pushing the kryptonite spear through the monster will do less damage than leaving it IN him[/spoiler], and the ridiculousness of the whole “death” sequence. Who buys that? Get him some sun and have him scrape it off as a flesh wound. It would make the “resurrection” suggestion at the end less cringe-worthy.

The horrible:
The Kryptonian Abomination. WTF? What? Why? You try to cram too many things in one movie and are juggling to make it all relevant, and then you waste half an hour with a villain like this? Kills this movie just as dead as “electric Nolte” did in Hulk, imo. Plus it makes no sense. What was Lex Luthor even thinking?

Despite some good elements, they drop the ball far too many times for this film to actually be decent. Marvel/Disney has a clear idea about what they’re doing. DC looks more and more like a jumbled mess with each film.

And as a completely random observation: did I see Miles Dyson create a Terminator???? Gasp

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Pretty much agree with most of you said about BvS. Too many flaws

TimovieMan - 25 April 2016 05:43 AM

And as a completely random observation: did I see Miles Dyson create a Terminator???? Gasp

That was basically the Cyborg origin story but I never realized until now that was the same actor that played Miles Dyson! Nice

Captain America : Civil War

Marvel Studios sure know how to make a fun and entertaining movie, but I did have some problems with it, mostly of the plot and the way they crammed so many heroes in there that didn’t make much sense. On a plus side it did make for a entertaining battle at the airport even if there was not much sense of danger. I prefered a previous action scene and the last one (telling more would be a spolier…)
The new Spider-Man is great although he was clearly shoved in there, because plot-wise it’s absurd. Black Panther stole the show for me, can’t wait to see his movie.
In the end, the reasons and the actual Civil War felt forced but it did make for a entertaining movie for watching super-heroes fighting each other.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Tim saying DC cràmin, wilco sàyin Màrvel mess.
Àgree with wonderwoman as Xena, lawless body lovers high five. Smile

Xmen looks dope.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I probably just focused in the negative stuff but I wouldn’t say it’s a mess, movie is still very entertaining.
I have high hopes for that Xmen movie.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2016-05-02

PM

I just saw Straight Outta Compton. It was a good movie!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top