• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What are you reading?

Total Posts: 236

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Lucien21 - 12 August 2012 06:44 AM

Joe the Barbarian - Grant Morrison and Sean Murphy

Joe is an imaginative eleven-year-old boy. He can’t fit in at school. He’s the victim of bullies. His dad died overseas in the Iraq war. He also suffers from Type 1 diabetes. One fateful day, his condition causes him to believe he has entered a vivid fantasy world in which he is the lost savior—a fantastic land based on the layout and contents of his home. His desperate attempts to make it out of his bedroom transform into an incredible, epic adventure through a bizarre landscape of submarine pirate dwarves, evil Hell Hounds, Lightning Lords and besieged castles. But is his quest really just an insulin deprived delirium—from which he can die if he doesn’t take his meds—or something much bigger?

Great little mini series that lasted 8-issues, collected here in the Deluxe Edition that really shows off Sean Murphy’s amazing art.

I liked the switching back from the real world to the fantasy world and the constant links of all his toys being alive in the fantasy world, fighting beside Picard, Batman, Transformers etc. It really made the reality or hallucination angle more interesting.

Is it all in Joes head, a Hypo dream or is it really happening.

It’s a wild ride.

5/5

That sounds quite interesting, I’ll have to look into that one. Laughing

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Wards of Faerie - Terry Brooks

Book one in his new Dark Legacy of Shannara series. After going back in time for his previous two series (tying his Word novels to the Shannara world), this sees Brooks jump forward again. Set after the events of the High Druid of Shannara this sees a young Druid uncover a lost diary that points to the location of an ancient magic that has been lost for years.

The world is still in flux with the elves still at war with the human, magic is fading as the humans push forward again with science and trying to abolish magic. Paranor and the Druids sit in the middle trying to preserve peace and use magic to aid the 4 lands.

However they are still too small a group and too untrusted by all sides. Determined to find the magic before anyone else does, they set out on a dangerous quest to recover the old elfstones before it is too late.

I used to be a huge Terry Brooks fan and still read all his books. However maybe the world has moved on, or maybe it’s me, because all his novels are starting to feel like the same book retold again and again. Once again we have a quest that involves elfstones, once again we have druids acting the same as before, the same characters appear as descendant of previous ones, the Ohmsfords, the Leahs, the Elessedil’s etc etc. I’m just waiting for the King of the Silver River to make an appearance to round out the pack.

The book is still a fast paced read with Brooks skimming over the surface at a pace that draws you forward. Unfortunatly you catch glimpses of depth, but nothing more. The book is safe and familiar, however that also means it is predicatable.

You get what you expect with a Terry Brooks novel and if that is what you are after then you will enjoy it. Personally I think i’m growing a bit tired of it.

3/5

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 15

Joined 2012-08-05

PM

Current re-reading Patrick Rothus Book 1 of the king killer chronicle “Name of the Wind”

Everyone takes a road less traveled, not knowing all will lead to the path

Kindly visit if you have time. Click Me!

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Meg - Steve Alten

Jurassic Shark..is a tag line oft associated with this book series (there are currently 4 others).

On a top-secret dive into the Pacific Ocean’s deepest canyon, Jonas Taylor saw a Megaladon and paniced killing the other two people on his crew by ascending too fast. Unsure of what he saw and ridiculed by everyone else he quits diving and is a laughing stock on the scientist community with his theory of these prehitoric sharks still being alive trapped at the bottom of this trench.

When some expensive equiptment placed at the bottom of the trench starts getting damaged he reluctantly agrees to go down to inspect the damage. One predicatable attack later and the Meg is now not a legend anymore, but it’s also not trapped at the bottom of the ocean.

Everyone now believes that 60-foot prehistoric sharks still exist as it goes on a killing spree up and own the western coast of the USA feeding on everything from whales to surfers.

Taylor is now locked head on with a destructive fight to either capture or kill the biggest predator the world has ever know.

It’s is a fairly cheesy plot full of cardboard characters and over the top action sequences that wouldn’t go astray in a Scifi movie of the week creature feature.

However it was a quick, fun read that keeps you gripped through to the end.

3/5

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

I started reading the Wheel of Time books by Robert Jordan. First of all lets face it: they’re complete Tolkien rip offs but then most fantasy novels are. At least untill George RR Martin came along with his brilliant absolutely non-Tolkienesque A Song of Ice and Fire. And at least Jordan created a more original world then say Middle-earth 2.0 aka Shannara (please angry Terry Brooks fans remember these are my opinions only Smile ) Anyway I read the first book and it was good. Well written, Lots of thrills. Lots of world building. It dragged a bit in the middle but I liked it a lot. However the second one I just can’t seem to finish. It’s basically more of the same but without the constant thrill of book 1. Also I find it a bit lame that The Dark One suddenly turned out not to be dead after he was clearly defeated at the end of Eye of the World. I actually thought killing of the main protagonist at the end of book 1 was a brilliant move. Another nitpick I have, and this is really the nitpick of nitpicks but what does Jordan have against blondes? The only blonde so far is a horrible person who might be working for the villains.(don’t spoil me on that please) As a blonde myself(albeit a male one) I never like it when blondes are put in a bad light (dumb, evil etc) But like I said the nitpick of nitpicks. However those things aside I am going to continue reading mainly because I’m very curious about book 3 where apparently the story will be told from all perspectives except the main character’s. That’s interesting. And if I understand correctly after that it will become more of serial rather then self contained stories. Which I think is a good move. Of course I’m not so sure I’ll be able to plough through all 13 books but we’ll see how far I get.

Total Posts: 165

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

‘American Gods’ by Neil Gaiman right now, which I’m liking a lot! Some quite interesting themes—multiculturalism, the nature of belief, globalisation have creeped up so far—dealt with in an accessible ‘fantasy’ story.

After that, I’m thinking either ‘Mother Night’ by Kurt Vonnegut, or ‘Vineland’ by Thomas Pynchon.

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

gray pierce - 24 November 2012 07:21 PM

I started reading the Wheel of Time books by Robert Jordan. First of all lets face it: they’re complete Tolkien rip offs but then most fantasy novels are. At least untill George RR Martin came along with his brilliant absolutely non-Tolkienesque A Song of Ice and Fire. And at least Jordan created a more original world then say Middle-earth 2.0 aka Shannara (please angry Terry Brooks fans remember these are my opinions only Smile ) Anyway I read the first book and it was good. Well written, Lots of thrills. Lots of world building. It dragged a bit in the middle but I liked it a lot. However the second one I just can’t seem to finish. It’s basically more of the same but without the constant thrill of book 1. Also I find it a bit lame that The Dark One suddenly turned out not to be dead after he was clearly defeated at the end of Eye of the World. I actually thought killing of the main protagonist at the end of book 1 was a brilliant move. Another nitpick I have, and this is really the nitpick of nitpicks but what does Jordan have against blondes? The only blonde so far is a horrible person who might be working for the villains.(don’t spoil me on that please) As a blonde myself(albeit a male one) I never like it when blondes are put in a bad light (dumb, evil etc) But like I said the nitpick of nitpicks. However those things aside I am going to continue reading mainly because I’m very curious about book 3 where apparently the story will be told from all perspectives except the main character’s. That’s interesting. And if I understand correctly after that it will become more of serial rather then self contained stories. Which I think is a good move. Of course I’m not so sure I’ll be able to plough through all 13 books but we’ll see how far I get.

I got as far as book 8 before I ditched the series. I originally liked the first lot of books, but they got gradually worse.

Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’ve been reading the Xanth series by Piers Anthony.  They’re light but with fun twists, and I’ve been enjoying the recurring characters.  I recommend them to both fantasy and pun lovers. Thumbs Up

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2009-07-30

PM

I’m finishing up with “The Twelve” by Justin Cronin. I like how it shows some stuff happening before the big flash forward in the first book “The Passage”.

Finished: Assassin’s Creed 2 (PS3)
Playing now: Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood (PS3), The Longest Journey (PC)
To continue: So Blonde (PC), Silent Hill Homecoming (PS3)

Total Posts: 360

Joined 2006-01-12

PM

Just finished The End of Mr Y by Scarlett Thomas. Philosophical, exciting, complicated and a really fun read is what I have to say about it! Grin

Now I’ll start to read the third book in the 1Q84 trilogy by Haruki Muramkami. But I need to re-read the end of the second first not to feel entirely lost. It was a while since I finished it.

Lazy Bee
Temporary guest in your life.

Total Posts: 89

Joined 2005-12-19

PM

Jelena - 25 November 2012 05:43 AM

Just finished The End of Mr Y by Scarlett Thomas. Philosophical, exciting, complicated and a really fun read is what I have to say about it! Grin

Now I’ll start to read the third book in the 1Q84 trilogy by Haruki Muramkami. But I need to re-read the end of the second first not to feel entirely lost. It was a while since I finished it.

I wish I had the motivation to finish the third book. I adore Murakami, and thoroughly enjoyed the first two books of 1Q84, but the story is just too drawn out for my tastes.

Total Posts: 165

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

I read the big three-volume version recently; and I think the third was definitely the weakest—a lot of the mystery had gone, though it’s still enjoyable and there’s really good parts, it just feels a bit rushed in places.

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Currently reading “The Dirty Streets of Heaven” by Tad Williams.

The first in the Bobby Dollar Urban Fantasy series. Bobby is an Angel whose job is to be advocate for the recently deceased. When a soul goes missing and one of the opposition is murdered it sets of a series of events that pit Heaven against Hell.

So far it’s been ok. Not Tad Williams normal type of novel, but its growing on me.

Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 49

Joined 2004-11-26

PM

Lee in Limbo - 12 August 2012 09:00 AM

And in novels, I’m still dallying with Stephen King’s Under The Dome, which got so heavy right in the beginning that I haven’t picked it back up in over a year. This does not mean I won’t read it; just that I haven’t been ready for it yet.

I know this is an oldish post but this book stays heavy. I liked it a lot but it was a depressing read because what happened with the characters could so easily happen in real life.

I have been heavy into Nordic crime thrillers - I’ve read the 7 Harry Hole books by Jo Nesbo (Norway) (the last one left me drained).  They have finally translated the first book in the series (and are working on the second I think), I just don’t have it in me to read it. I have also enjoyed all of the Erlendur books by Arnaldur Indridason (Iceland) that have been translated so far. I finally got around to reading Stieg Larsson’s books too. Liked them as well.

Then I moved onto The Twelve (the 2nd part of Justin Cronin’s trilogy which started with The Passage). I liked it and I really liked seeing where the story went. The first book was extremely linear whereas The Twelve hopped around just a bit to bring a few more characters into the plot and/or reveal the past of some characters (and the story needed to jump to various points in the past for that).

Now I’m back in fantasy land and I’m reading Wizard’s First Rule by Terry Goodkind.

Resident science freak

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

Melanie68 - 25 November 2012 06:01 PM

I have been heavy into Nordic crime thrillers - I’ve read the 7 Harry Hole books by Jo Nesbo (Norway) (the last one left me drained).  They have finally translated the first book in the series (and are working on the second I think), I just don’t have it in me to read it. I have also enjoyed all of the Erlendur books by Arnaldur Indridason (Iceland) that have been translated so far. I finally got around to reading Stieg Larsson’s books too. Liked them as well.

Then I moved onto The Twelve (the 2nd part of Justin Cronin’s trilogy which started with The Passage). I liked it and I really liked seeing where the story went. The first book was extremely linear whereas The Twelve hopped around just a bit to bring a few more characters into the plot and/or reveal the past of some characters (and the story needed to jump to various points in the past for that).

Have you tried Arne Dahl? They’re brilliant reads imo. Really clever plotting and good characters. They also made a tv-series out of the first five books but I wouldn’t recommend it.

Now I’m back in fantasy land and I’m reading Wizard’s First Rule by Terry Goodkind

Let me know how you liked it. I myself think his second book Stone of Tears is much better but the first one’s all right as well. And on the plus side it’s a complete standalone story with an actual solution at the end.

Edit: small correction: WFR is not a conplete standalone but can be seen as such if you choose not to continue with the next book.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top