• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

AnimeAdamzobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Last of Us Part 2

Total Posts: 1605

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

markymint - 30 June 2020 09:54 AM

angry rants because they dared to put - *gasp* - GAY PEOPLE in it…

That’s definitely not the argument that’s going round. The argument is that it shits on the Joel character and the story is weak, in a sense that playing the villain is not necessarily satisfying for a number of players. “The right” has no problem with lesbians and of the some several hundred videos I’ve watched on TLOU2 not a single one ever mentioned anyone’s sexuality. That’s because sexuality is a focus of “the left”. They are obsessed with it. If you’re going to quote the culture war, at least have an adult understanding of it because as soon as you lump anyone who doesn’t like a game (or creative work) into being right-wing, you’re going to look like an idiot.

Granted, Abby is a she-hulk and there has been some backlash over that - which no doubt “the left” will scream as misogynistic - but men are naturally compelled by pretty women. That’s not a crime. It’s biology - another thing “the left”  want to cancel. Whilst you label everyone who dislikes TLOU2 as “the right”, let’s not forget the joys “the left” bring to this world. By my count, and a growing number of others, that would seem to be exactly none.

And whilst you might laud a dry post-apocalyptic dick being shoved up her from behind, some folks just find it a bit…cringe. People don’t have to like it, just like you don’t have to like President Trump. If the developers are on record saying they want to make players feel uncomfortable, and then players ARE uncomfortable, and voice that fact - they are well within their right. That doesn’t make them THE right. In fact, the folks you are calling “the right” seem to be saying the relationship between Ellie and partner is one of the stronger points of the game. So there goes that big-brained thesis of yours.

can’t they just skip the cutscenes and enjoy a game that’s actually great in terms of how it’s played, its mechanics etc

Again, people have said the gameplay and mechanics are nothing special. That’s the argument. I’m not sure what echo chambers you’ve been wrapped up in but it certainly isn’t what’s being said on YouTube or player reviews.

You know, when you build up a great hero character in a series, film, games, books, even a tragic hero (which I assume Joel is/was) and then kill them off and spit on their dead body - there’s going to spark controversy. It always has and always will, TLOU2 is nothing special in that regard. You’re going to piss off fans because you built that thing for them to be a fan of and then took it away. “Now be a fan of this she-hulk thank you please!” ... erm… no? “MISOGYNIST BIGOT TRUMP SUPPORTER!11”

Anyway, welcome to the forum - nice of you to make your first post a (troll-esque) political one - but please, save your “left vs right” shit at the door for the future. Not everyone here is a pronoun spouting, social justice, cancel culture, BLM “summer of love” lefty. Most if not all are here to talk about games, not politics, which is a door you open when you start quoting left vs right when really - it’s just a matter of taste and opinion. And you being an adult about it when it differs from your own.  Pan

I am indifferent - I don’t care much if people enjoy it or dislike it. Outside of the discussion I don’t own a PS and don’t play console much anyway. But well aware of how it’s perfectly natural to try a game and not enjoy it, just as it is to try one and end up loving it, and either outcome is just fine. No-one deserves to be labelled left or right on the political spectrum for those feelings that come out of it.

PS. Here is “right wing” Bellular News as one example to get you started, on the indifference about the story, and not a peep on sexuality as a deciding factor, etc.

I have also watched a lot of reviews on it and one thing that constantly gets praised is the gameplay. By the way you could have marked the stuff about Joel as a spoiler just in case somebody didn’t want to read that. Like I said I have not played the game yet so I don’t know how it’s handled but even before this game came out I never thought it was going to end peacefully for Joel. I always looked at him as a sort of a villain in the first game because if you would have asked ellie I think she would have sacrificed herself in the hopes of a cure. that would have made all the killing and death worth something in the end and he robbed that choice from her. It was also painfully obvious in the first game. Between his daughter’s death until when he met Ellie that he lived a very dangerous life, the type of person to make lots of enemies. I would have gone that route as the person who seeks revenge on Joel rather than what they did because to me that is too on the nose but like I said I have not played the game so that’s just speculation on my part.

As far as gay characters I could care less if I play them or not as long as it’s a good story. For instance I feel like life is strange 2 handled white supremacy and police brutality in a totally over-the-top and cartoonish way that immediately took me out of the game

Total Posts: 460

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

I’m going through and spoiler tagging stuff. Please be mindful of this in future, if you’re posting in this thread.

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, Control: Ultimate Edition
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2009-05-12

PM

Jdawg445 - 30 June 2020 11:12 AM

As far as gay characters I could care less if I play them or not as long as it’s a good story. For instance I feel like life is strange 2 handled white supremacy and police brutality in a totally over-the-top and cartoonish way that immediately took me out of the game

Ehmm, have you been watching news lately? 

I often joke that when people think Dontnod’s handle of the subject matter was too over-the-top and cartoonish and that they’re looking through their foreign lenses, I say that’s exactly what the US looks like to the world right now, like a bad joke and a cartoon. In that sense I think they’re rather accurate. It’s one of those cases of reality surpassing fiction. At least the character in LiS 2 was shot and died instantly and not held for 9 minutes. Or just look at the handle of the pandemic… There are so many incredible characters that it’s taking me out of, reality? Sarcastic

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

danigar - 30 June 2020 01:05 PM

I often joke that when people think Dontnod’s handle of the subject matter was too over-the-top and cartoonish and that they’re looking through their foreign lenses, I say that’s exactly what the US looks like to the world right now, like a bad joke and a cartoon. In that sense I think they’re rather accurate. It’s one of those cases of reality surpassing fiction. At least the character in LiS 2 was shot and died instantly and not held for 9 minutes. Or just look at the handle of the pandemic… There are so many incredible characters that it’s taking me out of, reality? Sarcastic

I don’t want to go too far into it but I would say I disagree. what happened in Minneapolis was a tragedy but it was obvious them two dudes had prior history they worked together at a nightclub. He used his powers police over him but It wasn’t a random act of police brutality. Like I said I’m from Georgia and there was an incident at Wendy’s where a cop was fired and then brought up on charges bogus charges I might add. the suspect fought him, punched him than stole his taser and then shot the taser at the officer. no jury in their right mind will convict that officer. we have to stop looking at everything through a lens and games like the life is strange 2 is not helping in my personal opinion.

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2020-06-28

PM

I’m really sorry, I wasn’t intending to troll; I wrote that comment because I thought that the feedback on that game was a breath of fresh air as the sort of “caricatural” reaction to it was the only thing I heard about TLoU2 before coming to that forum.
This, and memes about people reacting like this, that is.

Now, I guess the only thing I have to do is to play that game to make my mind about it, but I’ll repeat it, before seeing that thread, the “fringe” sort of opinion that I described in my previous post was the huge majority of the feedback I was exposed to.

Joined 2009-05-12

PM

Jdawg445 - 30 June 2020 01:38 PM

I don’t want to go too far into it but I would say I disagree. what happened in Minneapolis was a tragedy but it was obvious them two dudes had prior history they worked together at a nightclub. He used his powers police over him but It wasn’t a random act of police brutality. Like I said I’m from Georgia and there was an incident at Wendy’s where a cop was fired and then brought up on charges bogus charges I might add. the suspect fought him, punched him than stole his taser and then shot the taser at the officer. no jury in their right mind will convict that officer. we have to stop looking at everything through a lens and games like the life is strange 2 is not helping in my personal opinion.

Yeah I don’t want to go too far either and go too off-topic but is interesting to see other points of view. I saw that case in Georgia and I honestly thought the officer were not going to be convicted so I was surprised to see they were. But there are many obvious cases like Elijah Mcclain, Breonna Taylor, etc. When it comes to police brutality and race issues in general in the US the simplest thing for me is to go to basics and look at the history of the US and how and who built it. The fact that a war had to be fought to abolish slavery (where police was actually used to catch slaves) and then ended segregation (until very recently) doesn’t mean everything is automatically and magically erased from memory and everything is perfect and everyone lives in harmony. Same thing with immigration, I know is a tricky subject and again I don’t agree with either extreme, but in my mind the simple fact that the US was built in stolen land and drew native people to near extinction changes the narrative a lot for me.

LiS 2 may not be perfect and I did get annoyed with one instance in Episode 4 but overall I appreciate developers tackling difficult issues and yes looking through our own lenses because in my mind that’s how the medium moves forward from a narrative point of view. Going back to TLOU 2, I have managed to avoid spoilers except for some hints (had to avoid reading some of the posts above) and I may like or hate the story but I give kudos to ND for taking risks with story and characters even if they ultimately fail. I feel like we’re getting stuck with same old characters, stories and tropes and I understand that’s fine with some gamers, but not all.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

danigar - 30 June 2020 03:24 PM

Yeah I don’t want to go too far either and go too off-topic but is interesting to see other points of view. I saw that case in Georgia and I honestly thought the officer were not going to be convicted so I was surprised to see they were. But there are many obvious cases like Elijah Mcclain, Breonna Taylor, etc. When it comes to police brutality and race issues in general in the US the simplest thing for me is to go to basics and look at the history of the US and how and who built it. The fact that a war had to be fought to abolish slavery (where police was actually used to catch slaves) and then ended segregation (until very recently) doesn’t mean everything is automatically and magically erased from memory and everything is perfect and everyone lives in harmony. Same thing with immigration, I know is a tricky subject and again I don’t agree with either extreme, but in my mind the simple fact that the US was built in stolen land and drew native people to near extinction changes the narrative a lot for me.

LiS 2 may not be perfect and I did get annoyed with one instance in Episode 4 but overall I appreciate developers tackling difficult issues and yes looking through our own lenses because in my mind that’s how the medium moves forward from a narrative point of view. Going back to TLOU 2, I have managed to avoid spoilers except for some hints (had to avoid reading some of the posts above) and I may like or hate the story but I give kudos to ND for taking risks with story and characters even if they ultimately fail. I feel like we’re getting stuck with same old characters, stories and tropes and I understand that’s fine with some gamers, but not all.

my problem with life is strange 2 is that it lives in extremes. most Americans are in the middle and that includes cops. are there some extreme right-wing people that are racist of course there are, just like there are some extreme left wing people that are absolutely nuts. I think life is strange 2 does exact opposite of what it is trying to do. All you got to do is go to any comment section on any YouTube video or its Steam page and see people arguing, I guarantee not everyone in those threads are a racist or a nut job on the left, but the game caused that reaction because it was badly written propaganda.

I agree with you on the Last of Us 2. it’s one of the reasons I actually like The Last Jedi, you can only do the hero Coming of Age story so many times before that trope gets tired. it’s not 1945 anymore.

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Strela_9 - 30 June 2020 02:38 PM

I’m really sorry, I wasn’t intending to troll; I wrote that comment because I thought that the feedback on that game was a breath of fresh air as the sort of “caricatural” reaction to it was the only thing I heard about TLoU2 before coming to that forum.

Now, I guess the only thing I have to do is to play that game to make my mind about it, but I’ll repeat it, before seeing that thread, the “fringe” sort of opinion that I described in my previous post was the huge majority of the feedback I was exposed to.

I’ve not really seen much about it because I enjoyed the original enough to want to stay blind to it. But I’ve seen similar stuff where it’s like, oh these people really are upset, but I don’t know why, and these other people really love it, and I still don’t know why.  But they all seem to have… very strong emotional responses.

I’m openly gay man, and I’d love to see more LGBT representation in general, so there’s that I guess.
And I accidentally read one of the spoilers above, and while i think historically LGBT characters tend to be evil, mental ill or “perverse,”  now we are starting to see them be portrayed as flawed instead of just out right evil or mentall ill.  So that’s… growth I guess?  IDK.

Granted, Abby is a she-hulk and there has been some backlash over that - which no doubt “the left” will scream as misogynistic - but men are naturally compelled by pretty women. That’s not a crime. It’s biology - another thing “the left”  want to cancel. Whilst you label everyone who dislikes TLOU2 as “the right”, let’s not forget the joys “the left” bring to this world. By my count, and a growing number of others, that would seem to be exactly none.

And whilst you might laud a dry post-apocalyptic dick being shoved up her from behind, some folks just find it a bit…cringe. People don’t have to like it, just like you don’t have to like President Trump. If the developers are on record saying they want to make players feel uncomfortable, and then players ARE uncomfortable, and voice that fact - they are well within their right. That doesn’t make them THE right. In fact, the folks you are calling “the right” seem to be saying the relationship between Ellie and partner is one of the stronger points of the game. So there goes that big-brained thesis of yours.

What the hell just happened?
Are you feeling alright marky?

I enjoyed the first game a lot, but I think a few ‘hundred videos’ on the subject might be a touch over-kill.

Like it’s just a game right?  Just fiction?  (I love to analyze fiction as much as anyone, but I don’t think I’ve ever really heard 100 opinions on anything)

And to Jdawg I think you talked about LiS’ handling of white supremacy and police brutality, I haven’t played the second one yet, but I think everything about LiS is cartoony and exaggerated, but I don’t think that’s a reason to avoid tackling tough topics.

It kind of stings in a different way when a game or literature, or film tackles a tough topic and falls short, but I’d still rather they try than avoid it.

I think some early American Literature where they portray racism in a negative light to influence public opinion was good for our country, but not all of it is objectively good literature (that’s right, I’m saying Frederick Douglass > Harriet Beecher Stowe > Twain) (HOT TAKE! LMAO)  Maybe LiS will be remembered in the same way.

Yeah I’d prefer they avoid extremes, but the LiS series at it’s core is about binary choices….

(I think Detroit Become Human however does a mostly fantastic job at portraying civil rights movements, including the choices to be violent or non-violent)

Joined 2009-05-12

PM

Jdawg445 - 30 June 2020 03:39 PM
danigar - 30 June 2020 03:24 PM

my problem with life is strange 2 is that it lives in extremes. most Americans are in the middle and that includes cops. are there some extreme right-wing people that are racist of course there are, just like there are some extreme left wing people that are absolutely nuts. I think life is strange 2 does exact opposite of what it is trying to do. All you got to do is go to any comment section on any YouTube video or its Steam page and see people arguing, I guarantee not everyone in those threads are a racist or a nut job on the left, but the game caused that reaction because it was badly written propaganda.

I agree with you on the Last of Us 2. it’s one of the reasons I actually like The Last Jedi, you can only do the hero Coming of Age story so many times before that trope gets tired. it’s not 1945 anymore.

Yeah I understand some of the criticisms and it was actually the reason why I held on playing Life is Strange 2 for so long, being a fan of the 1st. Upon completing it I was actually surprised and I never felt like it was too extreme. For every racist character the brothers encountered there’s like 3 nice people or regular middle people like you said. Of course is not perfect and they could have done things a little better but I appreciated what they were trying. These things happen everyday for many people and I’m sure is not easy for a video game to get into those issues without triggering or facing that propaganda criticism. My problem is that if say they have done the typical fantasy RPG with elves, orcs, dwarves etc, and they focus on racism and discrimination in that world then people wouldn’t blink an eye. On the contrary, they would praise it for putting complex issues on a fantasy world (like say The Witcher 3) The fact that it tries to portray real people in real places facing thing that real people face everyday is what gets tricky for some people.

Anyway I agree with you with The Last Jedi. I was one of the few that liked and appreciated what it was trying to do, even if I hated how the whole trilogy came together at the end.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Celebreon - 30 June 2020 04:21 PM
Strela_9 - 30 June 2020 02:38 PM

I’ve not really seen much about it because I enjoyed the original enough to want to stay blind to it. But I’ve seen similar stuff where it’s like, oh these people really are upset, but I don’t know why, and these other people really love it, and I still don’t know why.  But they all seem to have… very strong emotional responses.

I’m openly gay man, and I’d love to see more LGBT representation in general, so there’s that I guess.
And I accidentally read one of the spoilers above, and while i think historically LGBT characters tend to be evil, mental ill or “perverse,”  now we are starting to see them be portrayed as flawed instead of just out right evil or mentall ill.  So that’s… growth I guess?  IDK.

What the hell just happened?
Are you feeling alright marky?

I enjoyed the first game a lot, but I think a few ‘hundred videos’ on the subject might be a touch over-kill.

Like it’s just a game right?  Just fiction?  (I love to analyze fiction as much as anyone, but I don’t think I’ve ever really heard 100 opinions on anything)

And to Jdawg I think you talked about LiS’ handling of white supremacy and police brutality, I haven’t played the second one yet, but I think everything about LiS is cartoony and exaggerated, but I don’t think that’s a reason to avoid tackling tough topics.

It kind of stings in a different way when a game or literature, or film tackles a tough topic and falls short, but I’d still rather they try than avoid it.

I think some early American Literature where they portray racism in a negative light to influence public opinion was good for our country, but not all of it is objectively good literature (that’s right, I’m saying Frederick Douglass > Harriet Beecher Stowe > Twain) (HOT TAKE! LMAO)  Maybe LiS will be remembered in the same way.

Yeah I’d prefer they avoid extremes, but the LiS series at it’s core is about binary choices….

(I think Detroit Become Human however does a mostly fantastic job at portraying civil rights movements, including the choices to be violent or non-violent)

I would agree with you like the first life is strange is also a little over the top but I feel like the characters were treated like real characters if that makes sense. life is strange 2 treats most of the characters like one note caricatures which is not the same thing and it was written to obviously push an agenda. One of the reasons I love technobabylon is because it features a transgender character and while being trans is somewhat still an issue in the game world for some of the characters, it is not treated as a major plot point, it is just who the character is, that’s the difference to me. She is a character first and transgender second.

Also I was actually really excited for the second game because you don’t see many games starring two Mexican American boys or any Latin American people, usually they are reserved for the bad guys. but of course the development team had to go for the absolute lowest hanging fruit possible and I think it did a disservice to everybody not just white cops.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I did not play the game myself but I did watch a complete playthrough of all episodes. I felt like all the nice white people were all ultra-liberal. I just felt like the game wore it’s agenda on its sleeve a little too much and it had the exact opposite reaction of what it was trying to do. It’s the game version of a click bait article.

Another way the game was manipulative was it has you befriend a dog and then the game kills the dog 5 mins later. that is some ham-fisted manipulative writing if I ever saw it.

Mod edit: Quote chain removed, your post was exceeding character limits

Joined 2009-05-12

PM

I see what you’re saying, although it didn’t bother me personally. I wouldn’t say all the nice white people were ultra-liberal though, there’s the grandparents and their neighbors for instance. And the others like the group they join I’m sure are not too hard to find in a place like the pacific northwest Tongue But anyway I see your point, I guess I was able to enjoy the story despite its shortcomings and agenda pushing issues, like it happens too with Naughty Dog games and other developers that get criticized for the same issues.

Mod edit: Quote chain removed, your post was exceeding character limits

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Naughty dog handled it well with last of us part 1. Have no idea how it is handled here in part 2 yet.

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2003-09-13

PM

Heh, that’ll be a product of youtube subscriptions and autoplay. 20 channels, each make at least 1 video about TLOU2, maybe 2 or 3 (to cover each major incident/announcement), and some of them 10-20 videos (I guess because a lot of these channels are “opinion” channels and opinions never end). After some of those videos play, autoplay automatically takes you to a channel you aren’t subscribed to that’s talking about the same thing…

Happens with all the stuff though, any slight controversy and these channels will all report on it and often make multiple videos about the same thing. It does feel like an echo chamber some times, I only need to hear about Dr. Disrespect being banned from Twitch once, maybe twice, to understand what’s happened…as I’m sure we all do. But you may find a different small interesting nugget in each report, even if on the whole they are really all just saying the same thing over and over. And I don’t deny, some of them milk these subjects to the point of absolute boredom, TLOU2 included.

But with TLOU2 an abnormal amount exists because of the abundance of “trending topics” - the leaks, the golf club, the heat surrounding Anita Sarkesen, Druckman/Hennig debacle etc. Trust me I wish I hadn’t seen/heard 100 videos, but it definitely feels like it. I can definitely post up a solid 20 of them here if you need evidence it got talked about that much… but I’ll spare you (and myself) Wink

Critical Drinker is a good analyst of stories and entertainment. He put up a good video yesterday, so I will at least share this one - and it’s not all negative. But the overall sentiment in his video, like many others, does reside in the region of “meh”.

but I don’t think I’ve ever really heard 100 opinions on anything

Side note: Made me chuckle, Steam reviews are a good place to easily read 100 opinions on a singular thing, lol. I try to read them all when they concern games I’ve released there, so even 1000 opinions isn’t obscure. But sure, for the regular person, it’s not going to be quite so intensive unless they go looking for them specifically. The mainstream games, like TLOU2, have thousands, millions of opinions flooding in. Apart from a few trusted channels like Critical Drinker, I am definitely skipping TLOU2 vids now. It’s tiresome and I think I get the gist, lol.

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Yeah but damn, that’s a lot of time!  I usually read maybe two or three reviews on steam or elsewhere before deciding.  I mean, I don’t buy full-price games though.  I make a lot of friends at local shops to get discounts and so if I buy a bad game it stings less XD

Anyways @markymint please understand that we disagree on this forum everyday, sometimes over some pretty fundamental stuff, but we don’t make these mean, personal attacks against each other.

Please review the forum guidelines:

Be nice
- People of widely varying nationalities, ages and backgrounds visit this forum. Participants are expected to treat each other with dignity and respect. Passionate, even heated debate is welcome but messages which descend to personal insults, name-calling or other abuse will be deleted.
- While we don’t actively censor swearing, we do ask that you show self-control in your use of language.
- Religion, politics, and other hot button issues are permitted in the Chit Chat sub-forum, but be aware of the tendency of such topics to escalate into inappropriate personal arguments. There are no hard and fast rules for what’s acceptable in these areas, of course. We simply ask that you show some discretion and consideration for others.

I think this a reminder we can all benefit from.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top