• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonk

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Recent movies seen

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Django Unchained

A “Southern slavery revenge movie” may be a new genre (or not), but this is a Tarantino movie through and through. Great music and dialogue, some fantastic acting and over the top violence. There was a couple of scenes that I thought he was ripping off his own films. A major gun fight that smacks of the Crazy 88 scene, Waltz at times sounded a bit too much like the character from inglorious bastards. It was small things, but still noticable.

On the major plus side the acting for the most part is superb, Watlz is fantastic, DiCaprio looked like he was having a lot of fun stealing the show as the twisted plantation owner, even Don Johnson is hilarious in his small part. My only reservation is that I didn’t think Jaime Foxx was right for the part his voice didn’t have enough gravitas for the part.

The script was great, Tarantino’s movies always fizzle with great dialogue. He courts a lot of controversy with flagrant use of the “n-word”, but i didn’t have any issues with it. Waltz gets a lot of the great speeches and seeing him spar with DiCaprio is some of the highlights of the film.

While I had a hell of a lot of fun with the movie, it’s not one of his best flicks. Too many small niggly problems with it.

For example the movie is about 30 mins too long and while it never totally overstays it’s welcome you do notice the lenght.

4/5

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Life of Pi
I hate 3D movies. Other than that, it was amazing. It’s about this young guy who is on a lifeboat in the middle of the pacific together with a full-grown Bengal tiger. The tiger looked so real, I first thought it was a real tiger. Later I learnt that it was totally CG, and that they had one man who only took care of the hairs. A true masterpiece.
The story is true to the book as far as I could see. What more can I say? Pity it wasn’t in 2D.

Total Posts: 8469

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

tsa - 16 January 2013 11:13 AM

I hate 3D movies.
Pity it wasn’t in 2D.

Anything to make you pay 2 Euros extra for the cinema ticket… Shifty Eyed
More often than not, that’s charging you extra for a weaker experience, since most 3D films have little actual 3D but a lot of worsened image quality…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

But! We made use of the “action” in the cinema. You could buy a ticket for €16,- and then choose a real pair of Polaroid glasses that you could keep. Those glasses normally cost €30,- so we thought it was a good deal. The new glasses do make the 3D movies look a bit better, but unfortunately they don’t make them 2D.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Heh, my local cinema (the moneygrubbing Kinepolis) claims they charge 2€ extra, not for the use of the glasses, but for the use of their more expensive 3D projection system… Shifty Eyed

Best 3D I’ve ever experienced in cinema was at Futuroscope, but they had high quality glasses.
Which reminds me, I really need to revisit Futuroscope… Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

But for those 16 euros I paid I saw the movie and got a pair of glasses! Not a bad deal I think.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

How is the 3D in the Hobbit? Worth it?

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Wow, you actually got to keep the glasses? That’s pretty cheap for that price (I paid 12 € and didn’t keep the glasses)...

Prepare for a parenthesis extravaganza!

Anyway, saw The Hobbit - very enjoyable! (Even when I really would’ve had to go to the toilet for most of the movie Wink) Loved that it followed the book more than the LotR movies (some edits involved though, some for the better, some for worse).

And even more I liked how it included stuff that was barely a mention in the books but was happening at the same time (wouldn’t have liked it as much had it been just the dwarves, also because I didn’t so much like the way the dwarves were mainly comic relief aside from Thorin who was so serious).

And - which is a separate thing but also part of the previous (especially the former) - it didn’t have such a need for “self-reference” (bad word, but best I could come up with), that is, it included mentions to things like Gondolin and the five wizards and other things that didn’t really add much into the movies but flavor (this lacked in LotR) that held much more flavor if you knew that stuff from the other books like Silmarillion. So, it branched out to there, too.

What I’m trying to say is, it felt more Middle-Earth than LotR, because it wasn’t afraid to have some stuff that wasn’t such a part of the movie.

And of course can’t help but smile when Bret Mckenzie walks down the stairs Tongue

It was 3D, but I’m not sure if it was HFR though. It wasn’t in the main hall anymore, so it could be that this one didn’t have the technology for it. Well, dunno, and I didn’t feel I missed anything Smile

(Edit): Oh, and loved the Necromancer part! Such a better depiction of Sauron than in LotR!

Not how I imagined Radagast though. Again a bit too obvious comic relief, but I can understand why they’d do him like that. Still, I wish they hadn’t. I don’t think Radagast is such a comic character. Besides, he reminds me of this Finnish children’s character who they’ve now “resurrected” into movies:

Total Posts: 247

Joined 2012-05-21

PM

We finally saw The Hobbit this past weekend. I enjoyed it, but I still feel like I would prefer it to be two movies actually focussed on The Hobbit, rather than three with extraneous bits stuck in (and I felt the Necromancer bits didn’t feel at all integrated into the story in this movie).

What I really disliked was the addition of an antagonist for Thorin (especially one who, in Tolkien’s works, was long dead by this point). I felt it really distracted from the main story, and disliked how far it deviated from anything in Tolkien’s writings (the backstory was pretty faithful, to a point, but having him anywhere near this tale is a wholesale change).

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

I agree with pretty much all you said Grin Especially the part about the antagonist - the whole movie I feel like I kept thinking “wait, there’s not supposed to be such an antagonist there… right?” (well, not with these exact words, but the idea… Tongue)

I also agree with the Necromancer stuff to an extent, though I’m still optimistic it might work when we see more in the latter movies. This was more like an introduction now… Plus, I’m sort of happy there was an occasional break from the dwarves - I guess too much dwarves at once can be a little too much Wink At least for me…

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Django Unchained - 4/5

I was planning on writing a review, but everything I was going to say had already been said by Lucien21:

Lucien21 - 15 January 2013 04:36 PM

Django Unchained

A “Southern slavery revenge movie” may be a new genre (or not), but this is a Tarantino movie through and through. Great music and dialogue, some fantastic acting and over the top violence. There was a couple of scenes that I thought he was ripping off his own films. A major gun fight that smacks of the Crazy 88 scene, Waltz at times sounded a bit too much like the character from inglorious bastards. It was small things, but still noticable.

On the major plus side the acting for the most part is superb, Watlz is fantastic, DiCaprio looked like he was having a lot of fun stealing the show as the twisted plantation owner, even Don Johnson is hilarious in his small part. My only reservation is that I didn’t think Jaime Foxx was right for the part his voice didn’t have enough gravitas for the part.

The script was great, Tarantino’s movies always fizzle with great dialogue. He courts a lot of controversy with flagrant use of the “n-word”, but i didn’t have any issues with it. Waltz gets a lot of the great speeches and seeing him spar with DiCaprio is some of the highlights of the film.

While I had a hell of a lot of fun with the movie, it’s not one of his best flicks. Too many small niggly problems with it.

For example the movie is about 30 mins too long and while it never totally overstays it’s welcome you do notice the lenght.

4/5

Scrap the one line about Jamie Foxx not being right for the part (I didn’t have a problem with him at all), and then the above review is EXACTLY what I wanted to say… Grin

Let me maybe add that you shouldn’t be expecting a history lesson either, since the film is full of inaccuracies (like the commonplace use of dynamite 10 years before its invention). Let’s chalk that up to the film being in “Tarantino’s Fantasy Universe”. Tongue

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

I think Django might be Tarantino’s best.

Its definitely up there with Reservoir dogs and PF.

Dicaprio stole the show, I dont think Foxx was bad he just seemed to get outshined by the actors around him, but he never detracted from the movie, I still enjoy his character.

The soundtrack and the pacing of this movie is great though. I loved it, I didnt find it too long.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I don’t usually post about the films I watch on DVD (I normally stick to those I saw in theatres), but occasionally I see something that really grabs me enough to give it a 4.5 or even a 5 out of 5.
It happens very rarely these days: the most recent film that got a 5 from me is ‘Up’ and that’s already 4 years old, and the last time I gave a film that I hadn’t already seen before a 5 was when I finally saw ‘Cool Hand Luke’ a year and a half ago…
That’s why I wanted to share this:

The Man from Earth (2007) - 4.5 / 5

The Man from Earth is basically a play: it’s dialogue-driven and takes place on one single location. I don’t mind that, after all, ‘12 Angry Men’ is one of my all-time favourite movies.
And what a play this is! It’s a thought-provoking philosophical exercise on a “what if?” situation: what if a caveman from the Upper Paleolithic period survived until this day?
The main character goes into a discussion with a few colleague-professors about the possibility of a 14,000 year old man still being here today. The discussion raises all the possible skeptical questions yet provides a lot of plausible answers, turning the discussion (and thus the entire film) into one of the most intriguing I’ve seen in a long while.
I’m sure that if you start looking at the details, then this tall tale will quickly come apart, but that’s not the point. The greatness of this movie lies in the journey through the on-going debate. It even manages a somewhat emotional climax, which is no mean feat after an hour-long philosophical discussion…
A great film, imo, and one that caught my attention through IMDB’s own computer-generated ‘recommendations’ system, otherwise I don’t think I would’ve heard about this gem.
IMDB Recommendations FTW!

Total Posts: 334

Joined 2003-10-16

PM

Wreck-It Ralph

Classic video game bad guy breaks out of his game to try to be a hero and get a medal. Things do not go quite according to plan.

If you’re an old arcade game player like me, the number of classic game character cameos is eye-popping. The younger generation might not get all those references but it is still a fun movie for imagining what happens when you’re not watching the games. Being a Disney film, it does have it’s moments of slushiness, but they are kept to a manageable level.

No Nonsense Nonsonnets 44

Quest for Knowledge

I’m hoping to find name for game that I played long ago
The people here so well-informed, someone is sure to know
A time machine, grandfather clock, I give it to myself
Oh never mind, the box is sitting there upon my shelf

For real retro gaming nerds, name that game.

Total Posts: 89

Joined 2005-12-19

PM

TimovieMan - 14 February 2013 06:33 AM

The Man from Earth (2007) - 4.5 / 5

One of my favorite movies as well, I must have seen it at least three times.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top