• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

DalediegoLady Kestrelrtrooneywalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Moment of Silence

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

We all play games. Some can be extremely violent. And, at times, we may relish our participation in the violence.

I suggest we all take a moment of silence and pray for the victims of unspeakable violence that occured today at an elementary school in Connecticut.

Personally, I can’t fathom what might have caused an individual to inflict such harm on so many children. I just can’t understand it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 405

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

So many children and so close to Christmas… my heart goes out to their families.

The real problem with reality is the lack of background music.

Knightette of the Order of the Caption

Music is what feelings sound like…

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

I just can’t fathom such an event to happen, at a elementary school no less. Frown What a way to wake up today. Frown

PS: Honestly I thought this was about the game moment of silence. I’m glad the event had a mentioned on here.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 360

Joined 2006-01-12

PM

My thoughts are with all the families who lost a child in the shooting. I can’t even begin to understand the pain they are feeling.

Lazy Bee
Temporary guest in your life.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

I clicked on this thread thinking it would be about the adventure game Moment of Silence.

My heart goes out to all the parents of the many, many children all over the world dying violent deaths every single day.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Fien - 15 December 2012 05:09 AM

I clicked on this thread thinking it would be about the adventure game Moment of Silence.

Since the thread was started in Adventure forums (aptly dedicated to Adventure games) I can see the (twisted?) logic behind your thinking.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

We’ve had a few of these in Finland in the last decade - completely unheard of before… Not to mention the unfathomable tragedy in Norway a year ago.

Words just aren’t enough.

There is a lot twisted in the foundations of our societies these days. It’s all about economy at the expense of humanity, empathy etc.

(I have to say though - I don’t understand why you mention violent video games in the beginning?)

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I’m from Norway, and I lost a friend in the horrible tragedy at Utøya last year. Though I can’t even begin to comprehend what goes through the twisted mind of someone resorting to something so utterly gruesome, I can relate to the bereaved.

The worst part is, after such an incident, many people believes the solutiuon is more guns(!)... “if I had a gun, I could’ve stopped him” ..etc. As if a world where everyone’s packing heat could ever be a safe place.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

UPtimist - 15 December 2012 05:27 AM

(I have to say though - I don’t understand why you mention violent video games in the beginning?)

He’s creatively describing our interaction with violence in video games, making a bit of contrast with an event where violence was no fiction.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

Dag - 15 December 2012 09:08 AM

The worst part is, after such an incident, many people believes the solutiuon is more guns(!)... “if I had a gun, I could’ve stopped him” ..etc. As if a world where everyone’s packing heat could ever be a safe place.

That’s the story the gun lobby in the US pushes every time there is a massacre like that. But, surely, even they can’t be so stupid as to suggest that we should be arming kids now. I hope this leads to more gun control in the US, otherwise these kids would have died in vain.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

^
Monolith: I was trying to phrase a response. You said what I would have said if I didn’t have a brain cramp. Thanks.

I do remember the one Norse event. On a campground island wasn’t it? I recall the number of victims was greater, and their ages were older. I think the tendency is to think that, the younger the victim, the worse the crime. That’s probably just biased thinking. They are all horrific events.

One person mentioned poverty and unemployment as possible triggers for this kind of event. I can’t disagree, although I think something more was at play in the brain of the individual in Newtown.

In American society, however, there be more that contributes to this kind of behavior. And, being a resident of the “good old US of A” I feel qualified to make the comment that the division between opposing sides in the political spectrum don’t excuse, but almost justify this abhorrent behavior.

I’m getting to this soon Smile

Today, a one-time candidate for the US Presidency said. “We ask why there’s violence in our school but we’ve systematically removed God from our schools,” Mike Huckabee said “Should we be so surprised that schools have become such a place of carnage?

That kind of reactionary rhetoric might have a role as well.

All that said, I assume Jack will move in. As well he should. Move this thread to wherever it belongs.

Just thought a brief discussion of the horror of these events deserved an airing.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

TerminusEst - 15 December 2012 08:00 PM

I hope this leads to more gun control in the US, otherwise these kids would have died in vain.

I sure hope so too, it’s the only possible good thing that can come out of it. As for how stupid the gun lobby can be, I don’t think we should underestimate them.

rtrooney - 15 December 2012 08:54 PM

I do remember the one Norse event. On a campground island wasn’t it? I recall the number of victims was greater, and their ages were older. I think the tendency is to think that, the younger the victim, the worse the crime. That’s probably just biased thinking. They are all horrific events.

Yes, it was a sort of teenage politician camp. 77 people died alltogether, 8 were killed by a bomb placed by the government buildings in Oslo, 69 were shot and executed at Utøya (the island). 55 of those murdered were ages 14 to 19. A little older, yes, but no less tragic.

I’m not even gonna mention the name of the perpetrator, as I don’t wanna contribute to making him famous. The stupid media has allready done a great job of that, and I get physically sick whenever I see his self-satisfied smirk on the news.

As for why these types of events tend to happen more often in the US than elsewhere, I’m no expert, but from what I understand, the US spends more money making guns than they do on education. I think that could be a clue.

Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

The same day it happened in China a man walked into a school and went on a killing spree with 22 casulties.

The difference…China has gun control so he used a knife and everyone survived.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I know, and because of this incident, some people are arguing that “if we should ban guns, we should also ban knives”, completely oblivious to the fact that a knife has multiple important purposes, the least of which is murdering humans. A gun’s only purpose is to take lives.

Anything can be used as a weapon should we choose to. You can drown someone in water, but no sane person would argue that we should ban water.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Dag - 16 December 2012 10:03 AM

I know, and because of this incident, some people are arguing that “if we should ban guns, we should also ban knives”, completely oblivious to the fact that a knife has multiple important purposes, the least of which is murdering humans. A gun’s only purpose is to take lives.

Anything can be used as a weapon should we choose to. You can drown someone in water, but no sane person would argue that we should ban water.

I agree. Maybe we could ban hands and feet too, because they can also be used to punch/kick someone in the morgue…

While I do feel gun control would be a good start, you really need a full-on public mentality change.
What were the statistics that compared the US to Canada? About the same amount of guns per resident, but only 1% of the amount of gunshot victims per year in Canada? That says a lot, too.

Unfortunately none of this will help the parents and families of the victims of the massacre. My heart goes out to them…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top