• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

DalediegoLady Kestrelwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Currently Playing

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

I don’t think there’s much chance of them not messing it up. I can picture the dev room talking about SS “this is too slow for players, we need to speed it up, add more enemies, etc”

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

I started playing Nino Kuni Wrath of White Witch, and I’m scared that I can barely stop playing it.  It’s crazy addictive, and just one of the best-polished RPG experiences I’ve had since probably Atelier series.  I play about 3 hours and then I have to force myself to walk away could this could easily become me playing it for 12 hours straight (I’m looking at you “the last story”).

I didn’t think I would like a game with an emphasis on monster collecting.  I’m not a big fan of Pokemon games or even that sequel to Tales of symphonia where you you have to catch monsters.

This is tons of fun thankfully, and the game does a good job of easing you into the complexity along the way.  You start as just one character, then have only one monster, then 2 monsters, then 2 characters with a monster each etc.

Often in huge RPGs like this, I ignore the completionist urge.  But in this game I just love helping each person by collecting heart pieces for them to be inspired again, or hunting monsters, or collecting monsters, or finding consumable or adventure game style side quests.

This game looks like a Studio Ghibli Animation (because it is) and the cartoon-y beauty kind of hides the games shocking depth and complexity.

If you can get Nino Kuni on any system at all I recommend it, even if you are not huge into turn based RPGs as this plays real-time.

I’m playing the original on ps3 as I got it for cheap or maybe free, I don’t remember, but I think it’s on PC and PS4 now as a remastered edition.

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Celebreon - 23 August 2020 06:26 PM

I started playing Nino Kuni Wrath of White Witch, and I’m scared that I can barely stop playing it.  It’s crazy addictive, and just one of the best-polished RPG experiences I’ve had since probably Atelier series.  I play about 3 hours and then I have to force myself to walk away could this could easily become me playing it for 12 hours straight (I’m looking at you “the last story”).

I didn’t think I would like a game with an emphasis on monster collecting.  I’m not a big fan of Pokemon games or even that sequel to Tales of symphonia where you you have to catch monsters.

This is tons of fun thankfully, and the game does a good job of easing you into the complexity along the way.  You start as just one character, then have only one monster, then 2 monsters, then 2 characters with a monster each etc.

Often in huge RPGs like this, I ignore the completionist urge.  But in this game I just love helping each person by collecting heart pieces for them to be inspired again, or hunting monsters, or collecting monsters, or finding consumable or adventure game style side quests.

This game looks like a Studio Ghibli Animation (because it is) and the cartoon-y beauty kind of hides the games shocking depth and complexity.

If you can get Nino Kuni on any system at all I recommend it, even if you are not huge into turn based RPGs as this plays real-time.

I’m playing the original on ps3 as I got it for cheap or maybe free, I don’t remember, but I think it’s on PC and PS4 now as a remastered edition.

I played the 2nd one, and while I loved the building of your kingdom, very addictive. I found the rest of the game to be pretty bland, the exact definition of meh lol. I always heard the first one was much better.

Im having the same experience with the new dragon quest game. nothing about the game is bad, but nothing about it is great either.

One of my big issues these days is I think most games are just too long.

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Yeah I heard that about nino kuni II, which I already bought for when I’m finished because I got a good deal on the collector box edition which includes a steelbook, sound track and paper craft kit.

But I haven’t tried it yet.

I would like to point out that just because I’m uncontrollably doing all the sidequests, you could ignore them, and still experience one of the best JRPGS in modern times.

There are quest markers for the main quest, so if you just want to run straight for the end, I think you could save dozens of hours but also have a great time.

Sadly, because of what I mentioned about the game easing you into the mechanics, the first two hours are kind of meh.  You have spells and attacks and stuff, but it’s just one person, maybe with one familiar monster.  But you quickly get multiple child party members, each with their own preferred monsters to raise.  And the difference between beating a fight in 30 seconds, and having the entire party die, the difference is in your real-time strategy which is why I’m so enamored with it. 

Let’s be honest a truly challenging jrpg can be hard to come by these days.

I was fighting a boss at a volcano, and I died 3 or 4 times but not because I was under leveled, because I was careless about my strategy.  Once I figured out what I needed to do, I was able to beat him without grinding.  I think that’s the mark of a good JRPG.  They tend to either require a lot of grinding, or the fights are too easy, but usually strategy is not more complicated then attack and use magic, and heal….

This is refreshing in it’s mix of complexity, challenge, timing and art-style

EDIT:  OMG I forgot to mention, and you play as a wizard!  I really love these JRPGs where the main character is something besides a fighter wielding a sword.  Using the spells in Nino Kuni is pretty fun, especially outside of battle where they solve problems kind of like in an adventure game.  And you don’t get a handful of these spells, you get LOADS of them!  (Atelier series has you playing as an alchemist, but it’s similar in that the warrior type may be a party member, but won’t be the protagonist)
Oh and the music is some of the best I’ve heard in a video game!  I pause the game and just listen to it while I’m doing chores.  Okay I’ll stop gushing now and just go play it some more ^_^

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I got to play Ni No Kuni for a couple of hours.

It looks and sounds fantastic, as is to be expected with Studio Ghibli and Joe Hisaishi. Story is very interesting too, but it suffers the same issue I have with all action-based games nowadays. It doesn’t take long for me to start going “ugh, another dungeon, there’ll be fights again” and “can’t I just skip these - assume I kicked their asses - and get on with the story?”.

It’s got nothing to do with the game itself, but with my gaming spirit in general lately. I’m sick and tired of needing to do battle after battle after battle, or needing to grind. And it’s worse when it’s not turn-based (hence why I got through both South Park games in quick succession, but haven’t gotten more than halfway through the first Witcher game after two attempts, and why I only lasted a couple of hours into Jedi: Fallen Order). And not even a “story mode” or God mode cheat or whatnot can change my mind.

I’m done with action games altogether, basically, especially real-time.

I just can’t muster up the will to go through a 60-hour game loving 15 hours of it, and utterly despising the other 45 hours. I’d rather just watch it in a movie instead…

Which is a crying shame because this game had me back in 2013 already, just by the mere mention of Ghibli… Meh

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

TimovieMan - 09 September 2020 06:00 PM

I got to play Ni No Kuni for a couple of hours.

It looks and sounds fantastic, as is to be expected with Studio Ghibli and Joe Hisaishi. Story is very interesting too, but it suffers the same issue I have with all action-based games nowadays. It doesn’t take long for me to start going “ugh, another dungeon, there’ll be fights again” and “can’t I just skip these - assume I kicked their asses - and get on with the story?”.

It’s got nothing to do with the game itself, but with my gaming spirit in general lately. I’m sick and tired of needing to do battle after battle after battle, or needing to grind. And it’s worse when it’s not turn-based (hence why I got through both South Park games in quick succession, but haven’t gotten more than halfway through the first Witcher game after two attempts, and why I only lasted a couple of hours into Jedi: Fallen Order). And not even a “story mode” or God mode cheat or whatnot can change my mind.

I’m done with action games altogether, basically, especially real-time.

I just can’t muster up the will to go through a 60-hour game loving 15 hours of it, and utterly despising the other 45 hours. I’d rather just watch it in a movie instead…

Which is a crying shame because this game had me back in 2013 already, just by the mere mention of Ghibli… Meh

I understand what you’re saying but I mean that’s what kind of makes a game a game, especially in that genre. that would be like playing a nascar game and complaining about making left turns lol. you know what I mean?

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Jdawg445 - 13 September 2020 12:20 PM

I understand what you’re saying but I mean that’s what kind of makes a game a game, especially in that genre. that would be like playing a nascar game and complaining about making left turns lol. you know what I mean?

I know, but I used to love the RPG genre, and at first I thought I was just tired of dark fantasy, but it’s in all kinds of action games these days. If it’s not turn-based or a shooter with “story mode”, then I just can’t be bothered any more. Despite knowing that I’m then missing out on a good story.

Strategy and management games on the other hand, have become too complex to my tastes, so they’ve got that issue. Or I‘ve got that issue, at least. Tongue
Which is probably why I loved Civ I, Civ II, Civ III and especially Civ IV, but for the life of me can’t get into Civ V and Civ VI at all.
And why I’d rather boot up Championship Manager 2001/02 with an updated (current) database, than any of the later Football Manager games…

Throughout the years, I’m getting more and more limited to adventure games and a selection of sports games, and that’s it.

But I also “keep trying” in the RPG genre, just in case. And sometimes (like the South Park games) it still works. Grin
Sadly, Ni No Kuni didn’t… Meh

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

TimovieMan - 13 September 2020 02:55 PM
Jdawg445 - 13 September 2020 12:20 PM

I know, but I used to love the RPG genre, and at first I thought I was just tired of dark fantasy, but it’s in all kinds of action games these days. If it’s not turn-based or a shooter with “story mode”, then I just can’t be bothered any more. Despite knowing that I’m then missing out on a good story.

Strategy and management games on the other hand, have become too complex to my tastes, so they’ve got that issue. Or I‘ve got that issue, at least. Tongue
Which is probably why I loved Civ I, Civ II, Civ III and especially Civ IV, but for the life of me can’t get into Civ V and Civ VI at all.
And why I’d rather boot up Championship Manager 2001/02 with an updated (current) database, than any of the later Football Manager games…

Throughout the years, I’m getting more and more limited to adventure games and a selection of sports games, and that’s it.

But I also “keep trying” in the RPG genre, just in case. And sometimes (like the South Park games) it still works. Grin
Sadly, Ni No Kuni didn’t… Meh

My issues in the rpg genre is not gameplay issues, it is length. I loved ghost of tusushima but the game is just too long, so the gameplay loops wears out, at least for me.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Jdawg445 - 13 September 2020 06:13 PM

My issues in the rpg genre is not gameplay issues, it is length. I loved ghost of tusushima but the game is just too long, so the gameplay loops wears out, at least for me.

Length is indeed also part of the equation.

I clocked 40 hours in Dragon Age: Inquisition before becoming tired of it, and I had basically only achieved 100% on one single map by then, and hadn’t even seen half of the possible maps.
Mass Effect: Andromeda I managed to finish, but it took me 115 hours, which was more than I needed to complete the entire first trilogy of games combined.

The first time I played The Witcher, I got halfway into Chapter 2 before having enough of it. The second time, a few years later, I got to early in Chapter 3. Which was still only halfway into the game. That’s after more than 30 hours for me. That’s just way too much for me to handle. And this was despite loving the decidedly “gray-or-gray” decisions (as opposed to the typical “black-or-white” good vs evil decisions in most other games).

In contrast to these games’ length, the South Park games both clocked in at 15 to 20 hours. I’m far less likely to tire of the gameplay then, and it was turn-based combat in those games, which also helps. And they were hilarious. That helps too. Grin

But my threshold is definitely getting shorter. In Ni No Kuni, the “ugh, a dungeon” feeling came after a mere three hours! Gasp

In the Outer Worlds, it took me about 8 hours before fully comprehending that it was just “Fallout: New Vegas IN SPACE!” - and after having struggled to get through New Vegas a few years back, my willpower immediately sank and I quit the game.

I managed to finish Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, but mostly because I just beelined the (mostly uninteresting) main story after 15 hours, finishing the game in under 40 hours.
I got 8 hours into Skyrim before tossing it out for being utterly boring. (Yes, I said it!)

I think I got 5 or 6 hours into Jedi: Fallen Order before tiring of the ceaseless platforming (and every time you turn a corner, every enemy behind you respawns, making you go through dozens and dozens of them each time).
At least in the Baldur’s Gate “Trilogy” mod, you could set that there were no enemy respawns on a map, so once a map had been cleared, it remained so for the rest of the game. Far more relaxing.

Frankly, it’s probably a small miracle that I managed to finish Tides of Numenera and Pillars of Eternity (with DLC!). But at least Pillars had that “no respawns” rule, and Tides of Numenera was a bit more “fresh” in content and for a large part devoid of battles.
In contrast, Divinity: Original Sin used a similar combat system to Tides of Numenera, and I tossed that after just 3 or 4 hours.

And in the meantime, the amount of RPG’s I’ve started but never finished is growing each day. There’s a reason why I usually only get them after a few years, and with MASSIVE discounts.
And I’m not even bothering with any dark fantasy games anymore these days. Use a different setting or go home. Tongue

I’m curious to see how far I’ll manage to get in Cyberpunk 2077, once I get the GOTY edition at 80% off in 4 years time. Grin

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Wasteland 3 has turn based Xcom style combat

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

TimovieMan - 13 September 2020 06:57 PM
Jdawg445 - 13 September 2020 06:13 PM

Length is indeed also part of the equation.

I clocked 40 hours in Dragon Age: Inquisition before becoming tired of it, and I had basically only achieved 100% on one single map by then, and hadn’t even seen half of the possible maps.
Mass Effect: Andromeda I managed to finish, but it took me 115 hours, which was more than I needed to complete the entire first trilogy of games combined.

The first time I played The Witcher, I got halfway into Chapter 2 before having enough of it. The second time, a few years later, I got to early in Chapter 3. Which was still only halfway into the game. That’s after more than 30 hours for me. That’s just way too much for me to handle. And this was despite loving the decidedly “gray-or-gray” decisions (as opposed to the typical “black-or-white” good vs evil decisions in most other games).

In contrast to these games’ length, the South Park games both clocked in at 15 to 20 hours. I’m far less likely to tire of the gameplay then, and it was turn-based combat in those games, which also helps. And they were hilarious. That helps too. Grin

But my threshold is definitely getting shorter. In Ni No Kuni, the “ugh, a dungeon” feeling came after a mere three hours! Gasp

In the Outer Worlds, it took me about 8 hours before fully comprehending that it was just “Fallout: New Vegas IN SPACE!” - and after having struggled to get through New Vegas a few years back, my willpower immediately sank and I quit the game.

I managed to finish Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, but mostly because I just beelined the (mostly uninteresting) main story after 15 hours, finishing the game in under 40 hours.
I got 8 hours into Skyrim before tossing it out for being utterly boring. (Yes, I said it!)

I think I got 5 or 6 hours into Jedi: Fallen Order before tiring of the ceaseless platforming (and every time you turn a corner, every enemy behind you respawns, making you go through dozens and dozens of them each time).
At least in the Baldur’s Gate “Trilogy” mod, you could set that there were no enemy respawns on a map, so once a map had been cleared, it remained so for the rest of the game. Far more relaxing.

Frankly, it’s probably a small miracle that I managed to finish Tides of Numenera and Pillars of Eternity (with DLC!). But at least Pillars had that “no respawns” rule, and Tides of Numenera was a bit more “fresh” in content and for a large part devoid of battles.
In contrast, Divinity: Original Sin used a similar combat system to Tides of Numenera, and I tossed that after just 3 or 4 hours.

And in the meantime, the amount of RPG’s I’ve started but never finished is growing each day. There’s a reason why I usually only get them after a few years, and with MASSIVE discounts.
And I’m not even bothering with any dark fantasy games anymore these days. Use a different setting or go home. Tongue

I’m curious to see how far I’ll manage to get in Cyberpunk 2077, once I get the GOTY edition at 80% off in 4 years time. Grin

I got through jedi fallen order pretty quick. I really enjoyed it, and it wasnt too long. Enemy respawns was annoying though, but the maps had shortcuts built in that helped you avoid a lot of stuff.

My favorite rpg this generation was persona 5, and the studio released an ultimate edition which adds 50 more hrs of gameplay. The original game took me 110 hours to beat so the idea of playing that again plus 50 more hours, I was like nope no thank you, and I LOVE that game.

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2020-11-03

PM

Started playing a series of Mirror’s Edge. My advice to everyone!

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Bought a gamer laptop recently and coincidentally also just finished Mirrors Edge.

Going through my steam backlog of all the games I purchased but never could play because of specs requirements.

Currently, after so many years of waiting, playing Enslaved: Odyssey to the West.
Only at the beginning but highly enjoying it.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I am playing Blue Reflection again, I just love this game. It’s kinda like Persona with Magical Girls.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Origami - 04 November 2020 01:48 PM

Bought a gamer laptop recently and coincidentally also just finished Mirrors Edge.

Going through my steam backlog of all the games I purchased but never could play because of specs requirements.

Currently, after so many years of waiting, playing Enslaved: Odyssey to the West.
Only at the beginning but highly enjoying it.

I loved enslaved, wish it got a sequel, its on the level of a beyond good and evil to me

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top