• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04Veoviswalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Last of Us Part 2

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

This gets released this week. It has a Metacritic score of 96 so far. Is anyone getting it?

It has been called the best game ever by some. Anyone interested in discussing it?

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

I’m excited!  So I beat the first one, last year, and it’s a really good game that takes all the things wrong with uncharted and fixes them.

I love these characters and story!

Honestly when I booted up the first one, and it starts as

joel’s daughter and there’s no combat, and it plays a lot like beyond: two souls or heavy rain or something, which I was pumped about, and then the combat made me get stuck.  I started over on easy mode, and had a great time though.

I loved playing as ellie with the bow and arrow most of all.  Really I think the stealth mechanics are the best part of this game!

The puzzles are… very uncharted in their design, and sometimes that’s fine, but often it’s kind of clunky, so I’m interested to see what they do on the environmental puzzle side this time.

I have stayed mostly blind to the marketing material, so I’m curious to see if the cordyceps has mostly died out, or has gotten worse or what.

My dad wanted to watched me play a zombie game, but he got tired of watching me shoot bandits or raiders or whatever in the first one.

I will DEFINITELY get Last of Us 2, but I’ll probably buy it used, or maybe even just wait to get it on ps5

Total Posts: 460

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Looking forward to it. I’ve had it preordered for 3.5 years almost, so glad it’s reviewing well.

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, Control: Ultimate Edition
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Total Posts: 1605

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

some reviewers have compared the gameplay to metal gear solid 5, which is great to me, b I think mgs5 has some of the best stealth/action gameplay around

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Only problem is the plot sounds pedestrian this time. I bet it is: Ellie’s lover gets killed and has to be revenged. Ho hum. However, the graphics and gameplay are excellent so that should make up for it.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

I don’t think that plot idea sounds too bad really.

I mean Ellie has a different perspective from Joel.  Joel remembers before the outbreak, and I’m pretty sure Ellie is too young, and does not.

but at the end of part 1 when
Joel saves Ellie instead of letting her be sacrificed in the hope of creating a cure or vaccine, and when Ellie wakes up, she confronts joel who blatantly lies to her about the fireflies and the hope for a cure.
What if Ellie learns from joel in this moment,
And similarly pursues rescuing/revenge for her lover with reckless abandon?
Do you think Ellie will similarly turn to violence to solve her problems the way she learned from Joel? (not to be confused with raiders and zombies, he murders regular innocent people)
Will she be willing to lie to her lover the way that Joel lied to protect her from the truth (and selfishly get what HE wanted)?
Is a cycle of violence and deceit going to be perpetuated now through Ellie, or will she choose differently from what Joel chose?
Joel wasn’t a particularly vengeful person, just kind of ruthless, so maybe we won’t see Ellie seek revenge.
We saw a really determined caring side of Ellie as she helped joel recover from his wounds in part 1, so although she was also willing to kill/threaten those other survivors to get the supplies she needed to save joel. 

All that to say that even if the story is cliche, I think we will see the way it’s presented as particularly interesting.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Ok, the plot is different than what I guessed at. That was for better also. They really took some risks here and some people like the story, some don’t.

Heart

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2009-05-12

PM

I was really exited about this one. Loved the 1st one, it became one of my favorite games. I was worried that like you guys said the story would be pedestrian, a simple revenge story that would lack the nuances and complexities of the 1st but I gave Naughty Dog the benefit of the doubt.

The the leaks happened and I tried my best to stay away from spoilers, but I was curious about them, like why people were freaking out? Then the media reviews came and gave great scores, which gave me hope again, and now user scores are tanking and being the total opposite of the critic reviews!! What is going on with this game? I know those reviews are mostly haters that don’t like the “agenda” or “woke” thing but still… I’ll probably wait until later when is on sale but I’m definitely curious about it.

Are you playing now Mikekelly? I’m trying to get level headed and unbiased opinions on this game but it seems so hard. I guess the developers were right when they said people were going to either love or hate the game

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

danigar - 20 June 2020 12:50 PM

I was really exited about this one. Loved the 1st one, it became one of my favorite games. I was worried that like you guys said the story would be pedestrian, a simple revenge story that would lack the nuances and complexities of the 1st but I gave Naughty Dog the benefit of the doubt.

The the leaks happened and I tried my best to stay away from spoilers, but I was curious about them, like why people were freaking out? Then the media reviews came and gave great scores, which gave me hope again, and now user scores are tanking and being the total opposite of the critic reviews!! What is going on with this game? I know those reviews are mostly haters that don’t like the “agenda” or “woke” thing but still… I’ll probably wait until later when is on sale but I’m definitely curious about it.

Are you playing now Mikekelly? I’m trying to get level headed and unbiased opinions on this game but it seems so hard. I guess the developers were right when they said people were going to either love or hate the game

I have not played it, but I have been spoiled some as far as the story goes, and naughty dog def took risk and I applaud them for that at least. I will have to play the game to see how it ends up.

Pretty much all reviewers that I trust all love the gameplay though, so that excites me either way.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Yes, I am playing the game. I don’t like the story or characters at all, however I do find graphics and gameplay to be excellent. So I agree with what consumers are saying. I would rate the game about a 5.

Heart

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Mikekelly - 21 June 2020 09:13 AM

Yes, I am playing the game. I don’t like the story or characters at all, however I do find graphics and gameplay to be excellent. So I agree with what consumers are saying. I would rate the game about a 5.

Heart

Sorry to hear that, my friends are split right down the middle, some love it and some hate it. It really is like the last jedi lol.

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2009-05-12

PM

Jdawg445 - 25 June 2020 12:56 PM
Mikekelly - 21 June 2020 09:13 AM

Heart

Sorry to hear that, my friends are split right down the middle, some love it and some hate it. It really is like the last jedi lol.

Yeah is disappointing to hear that, although I’m still really curious about it, like why is it so divisive. I also applaud Naughty Dog for taking risks and not playing it safe. I have the feeling that I’ll be on the side of liking the story but like I said I’ll probably wait until is for sale, maybe in the fall.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

After a while, you understand the plot. It’s like Blade Runner where there are no heroes just victims. They took the risky road and it payed off for them - it’s the most popular video game of all time. I am getting used to the plot and since I am a Blade Runner fan it’s growing on me.

Heart

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2020-06-28

PM

Finally, someone else liked that game! I was tired of seeing only angry rants because they dared to put - *gasp* - GAY PEOPLE in it…
As in it wasn’t already present in tons of games before this one. But for some reason, it’s exactly this one that triggered the right.

... I mean, if they’re so offended, can’t they just skip the cutscenes and enjoy a game that’s actually great in terms of how it’s played, its mechanics etc?

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I plan on getting the game, I am just in a detective game mood right now. but I was spoiled somewhat bc hey its the internet and…

I know joel dies early in the game by a girl named abbey and you have to play as her as well as ellie during the game. That is a bold decision and it is all about execution, one friend that likes the game’s story but doesnt like the switch back and forth bc you lose all progression/perks and that became tedious to him

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2003-09-13

PM

angry rants because they dared to put - *gasp* - GAY PEOPLE in it…

That’s definitely not the argument that’s going round. The argument is that it shits on the Joel character and the story is weak, in a sense that playing the villain is not necessarily satisfying for a number of players. “The right” has no problem with lesbians and of the some several hundred videos I’ve watched on TLOU2 not a single one ever mentioned anyone’s sexuality. That’s because sexuality is a focus of “the left”. They are obsessed with it. If you’re going to quote the culture war, at least have an adult understanding of it because as soon as you lump anyone who doesn’t like a game (or creative work) into being right-wing, you’re going to look like an idiot.

Granted, Abby is a she-hulk and there has been some backlash over that - which no doubt “the left” will scream as misogynistic - but men are naturally compelled by pretty women. That’s not a crime. It’s biology - another thing “the left”  want to cancel. Whilst you label everyone who dislikes TLOU2 as “the right”, let’s not forget the joys “the left” bring to this world. By my count, and a growing number of others, that would seem to be exactly none.

And whilst you might laud a dry post-apocalyptic dick being shoved up her from behind, some folks just find it a bit…cringe. People don’t have to like it, just like you don’t have to like President Trump. If the developers are on record saying they want to make players feel uncomfortable, and then players ARE uncomfortable, and voice that fact - they are well within their right. That doesn’t make them THE right. In fact, the folks you are calling “the right” seem to be saying the relationship between Ellie and partner is one of the stronger points of the game. So there goes that big-brained thesis of yours.

can’t they just skip the cutscenes and enjoy a game that’s actually great in terms of how it’s played, its mechanics etc

Again, people have said the gameplay and mechanics are nothing special. That’s the argument. I’m not sure what echo chambers you’ve been wrapped up in but it certainly isn’t what’s being said on YouTube or player reviews.

You know, when you build up a great hero character in a series, film, games, books, even a tragic hero (which I assume Joel is/was) and then kill them off and spit on their dead body - there’s going to spark controversy. It always has and always will, TLOU2 is nothing special in that regard. You’re going to piss off fans because you built that thing for them to be a fan of and then took it away. “Now be a fan of this she-hulk thank you please!” ... erm… no? “MISOGYNIST BIGOT TRUMP SUPPORTER!11”

Anyway, welcome to the forum - nice of you to make your first post a (troll-esque) political one - but please, save your “left vs right” shit at the door for the future. Not everyone here is a pronoun spouting, social justice, cancel culture, BLM “summer of love” lefty. Most if not all are here to talk about games, not politics, which is a door you open when you start quoting left vs right when really - it’s just a matter of taste and opinion. And you being an adult about it when it differs from your own.  Pan

I am indifferent - I don’t care much if people enjoy it or dislike it. Outside of the discussion I don’t own a PS and don’t play console much anyway. But well aware of how it’s perfectly natural to try a game and not enjoy it, just as it is to try one and end up loving it, and either outcome is just fine. No-one deserves to be labelled left or right on the political spectrum for those feelings that come out of it.

PS. Here is “right wing” Bellular News as one example to get you started, on the indifference about the story, and not a peep on sexuality as a deciding factor, etc.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top