• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoKeybordzskeeter_93

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Recent movies seen

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Sage - 04 September 2012 10:57 AM

but how many films have made back their original budget plus a profit on opening weekend?

I knew that. Shifty Eyed

Anyways, I think The Hobbit will dramatically show where “milking the franchise” trend would go - because let’s face it, it has everything to do with the LOTR success. I’m not saying they won’t be good films.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2012-09-11

PM

The last movie I’ve seen was Chronicles.
I’m a bit disappointed because most of the scenes in the trailer
were the highlights in the film.
So what I’m saying is that the plot of the movie wasn’t that fascinating.

6,5/10 maybe

I am Guybrush Threepwood, mighty Pirate!

Quote of the last played Game!
Space Quest 6: “Oh, yeah, real smart. Let’s go poking around inside a pod that’s probably carrying a half-dozen
miniature face-hugging, saliva-dripping, face-eating exo-skeletal alien piranha things.
And while we’re at it, let’s split up so that we’re all alone and defenseless, okay?”

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

diego - 04 September 2012 11:24 AM
Sage - 04 September 2012 10:57 AM

but how many films have made back their original budget plus a profit on opening weekend?

I knew that. Shifty Eyed

Anyways, I think The Hobbit will dramatically show where “milking the franchise” trend would go - because let’s face it, it has everything to do with the LOTR success. I’m not saying they won’t be good films.

i want more of those kinds of films..DnD and fantasy.most of them are really low budget or b-movies.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

The Bourne Legacy - 2.5 / 5

The Bourne Legacy is not a bad film. Jeremy Renner is pretty believable as a super-elite agent, and does a pretty good job in giving the appearance of being superior to Matt Damon’s Bourne.
But the film makes me think of Orson Scott Card’s Ender’s Shadow books: yes, Aaron Cross / Bean is superior to Jason Bourne / Ender in every way. But he’s not Jason Bourne / Ender…
Frankly, I would have been happy if they just called it quits on the entire Bourne-universe.
Also, the film feels largely unfinished, and imo only serves the purpose of being an introduction to the Aaron Cross character and a setup for future Aaron Cross films. They also wasted too much time and effort to tie this film onto the Bourne trilogy and most of the links felt like a convoluted mess, imo.
Director Tony Gilroy also lacks the directing prowess of Paul Greengrass, whose gritty realistic style makes for some intense action sequences. Here we don’t have that, since Gilroy isn’t talented enough as an action director. But to The Bourne Legacy’s credit: the film lasts 2 hours and 15 minutes, and it felt like a lot less, so at least they did something right…

Ted - 3.5 / 5

Awesome first hour with a lot of great humour in it, a lot of non sequiturs (which was to be expected from Family Guy’s Seth MacFarlane), and a lot of pop culture references and parodies (likewise: see Family Guy). One of the many excrement-related gags even gave me a fit of giggles (which almost made me miss the next scene). Grin
Best laugh I’ve had at the cinema since The Other Guys (coincidentally also starring Mark Wahlberg). But I’m a big Family Guy fan, so YMMV… Tongue
However, Ted loses its momentum somewhat in the third act, where they apparently tried to put some semblance of a story into the film. Until then, the film was driven by its humour, and unfortunately the humour took the back seat a bit more in the final third. A bad call, if you ask me, but at least it doesn’t totally destroy the movie.
Also, I love seeing actors (or celebrities in general) parodying themselves, so props to Tom Skerritt, Norah Jones and especially Flash Gordon Sam Jones!

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Looper

Rian Johnson is a writer director who has only made three movies, but already he is probably one of my favourite directors.

Brick catapulted him into the must watch category with its’ hardboiled detective premise in a california high school, and although Brothers Bloom wasn’t as good he has knocked it out the park with his third film.

Smart intelligent time travel movies are fairly rare, so Looper is all the more impressive that at first watch there doesn’t seem to be too many holes in it.

Joseph-Gordon Levitt plays Joe a Looper in the year 2044. Time travel hasn’t been invented yet, but it has in the future. Criminal syndicates in the future use this to send back people for execution. Loopers kill these people and dispose of the bodies. They are well paid by the silver bricks strapped to the back of the targets. Joe is one of the best, living the high life on sex and drugs. This is until the syndicate sends old Joe back for execution. Pausing before shooting the older Joe (Bruce WIllis) escapes and goes on the run.

Now both versions of Joe are on the run desperatly trying to close the loop before it catches up to them and alters the future.

It’s a trippy concept movie that is superbly acted by all parties, especially Levitt’s Bruce Willis mannerisms.

It’s a thrilling action movie with a brain.

It’s the best time travel movie since Twelve Monkeys (which also starred Bruce Willis).

5/5

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 360

Joined 2006-01-12

PM

^Ooh, great! I love time travel movies!

Lazy Bee
Temporary guest in your life.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Lawless - 3/5

Surprisingly tame prohibition era movie which caught me off-guard precisely by NOT catching me off-guard… Tongue
Since it was written by Nick Cave, I probably had set the expectations too high (or at least too non-conform). Despite being a lot more by-the-book than expected (and also less violent and less coarse than expected), it’s still a decent movie, thanks in a large part to Guy Pearce’s delightfully evil performance, and Tom Hardy’s silent approach (speaking with long pauses and lots of grunts).

Looper has been at the top of my anticipated movies list for a while now. With reason, so it seems… Thumbs Up

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Taken 2 - 2.5 / 5

Unnecessary sequel that offers some more “Liam Neeson kicking ass”, this time with his daughter actually joining in on the fun.
While I don’t dislike the film, it’s hard to see why they even made this in the first place. They try so hard to reference the first film in it, that they overdrag the first half hour (before the ass-kicking begins). Not that I minded so much, but still.
When the action *does* begin, though, it’s relentless, but somehow still lacks the adrenalin rush that the first film provided. Possibly because director Megaton overuses the quick-cut editing and the shaky cam, so it’s hard to actually *see* any of the fight choreographies. A common mistake in a LOT of modern-day action movies.
Still doesn’t mean that watching Neeson steam-roll over a bunch of villains isn’t fun, though. I mean, who knew that Oskar Schindler would turn into a pretty awesome action hero at the age of 55+???

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2010-06-10

PM

Moonrise kingdom 4 / 5

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Cosmopolis

Have anyone else here seen it? I would be very interested in hearing your intepretations of this one.

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Wreck It Ralph: Loved it. All the references to video games shows how much love and reverence to the subject matter the folks at Disney have.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Looper - 4 / 5

Looper is a very well done sci-fi movie, both intelligent and entertaining, that manages to leave a lot of elements open to interpretation (reminiscent of ‘Donnie Darko’), avoids a great deal of plot holes that are usually inherent to the “dynamic timeline” time travel theory and smacks you over the head with a red herring (leaving you to keep thinking about the film until long after the credits rolled).
Basically, while it lacks the punch of for instance Twelve Monkeys, the film is confident enough in its own plot, that suspension of disbelief will allow you to disregard any plot holes (reminiscent of ‘Frequency’). And when you really think about it, there actually are a lot LESS plot holes than you’d expect at first glance (if you don’t believe me, I’ll happily explain them in PM - I want to avoid posting spoilers here, because this movie CAN be spoiled when talking about ANY of the events in its second half).
That said, I absolutely LOVE the fact that they managed to keep a significant plot point for the second half of the film completely OUT of any trailers and marketing campaigns! This movie actually managed to surprise me with the direction it took halfway.
Kudos to Rian Johnson for making a sci-fi film that’s both fun and smart, and kudos to Joseph Gordon-Levitt for totally nailing his Bruce Willis impersonation. And of course also for the make-up department who tried to make Gordon-Levitt look believably like a young Bruce Willis.

Skyfall - 4 / 5

Not your typical Bond movie.
I love what director Sam Mendes has done with the franchise. The gun barrel that all the Bond movies start with has been left out in the beginning (because it wouldn’t have fit) and was put at the end instead - a nice touch and something to consider for future Bond films as well. Adele’s opening song is imo the best one since GoldenEye, because it most captures the movie’s soundtrack. The final third of the film is VERY far from anything that’s ever been done in a Bond-movie (and that’s a good thing). And I also loved all the throwback references to older Bond films (the Aston Martin with headlight gun turrets and an ejection seat, Bond’s “new” “old” office, etc.).
This is also probably the most beautifully-shot Bond film to date. The entire sequence in Shanghai (with the empty office building and the neon-backlights) and the start of the sequence in Macao that followed is simply stunning. And it’s a big plus that Sam Mendes (and his DoP Roger Deakins) use a steadycam to film things (instead of today’s more popular handy/shaky cam) so you can actually *see* what’s going on.
That, and Javier Bardem gives yet again a surprisingly creepy villain-performance (reminiscent of his Anton Chigurh in No Country for Old Men). His introduction shot (about a full minute long) is pure brilliance.
Fans of Bond should love Skyfall.

Also: Judi Dench = teh Awes0me! Grin

It had been quite a while since I last saw two movies of this caliber in cinemas on the same night (the last time I can remember was the night I went to the Director’s Cut of Alien, and Kill Bill vol. 1). I had been looking forward to both these films, and with good reason. I love it when my expectations are met! Thumbs Up

Let me put on record that the line between 4 out of 5 and 5 out of 5 for me is VERY thin. Wink
Once I give 4 stars or more, I really have very little to criticize. See it as “degrees of brilliance” or something… Tongue

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I liked Skyfall a lot too, also because some new and interesting developments that I can’t tell you about here without spoiling the whole movie. And indeed, Judi Dench was awesome in the movie! Brilliant performance.

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

I really liked the films with Connery, Moore and Brosnan. But the first two Daniel Craig films I really hated. However Skyfall I liked a fair bit better. It’s got dry wit again which to me is one of the most important things in a Bond film. And it had a generally more Bondlike feel to it. The return of Q and Moneypenny is also very nice. I was only a bit disappointed by the almost complete lack of gadgets. But all in all it was a fun film and judging by the end the next one will be a real classic Bondfilm. Yay!

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Argo - 4 / 5

It took him a while to realize it, but it seems that Ben Affleck has finally found his calling - directing.
Gone Baby Gone was good, The Town was more than decent, but Argo proves he’s here to stay! It’s definitely his best effort to date, and the film strikes the right balance between intensity, suspense and humour.
The movie starts off with a surprisingly accurate recounting of the political situation prior to the events depicted. The entire opening sequence makes for some intense viewing and, in contrast, the Hollywood scenes are often hilarious (John Goodman and Alan Arkin are a pleasure to watch). This combines into a very well-rounded film that is very compelling.
Affleck even went so far as to use only “dated” camera movements and techniques, and making everything look grainy (similar to 1979-ish films). This worked splendidly because Argo is imho on occasion reminiscent of ‘All the President’s Men’, which is no easy feat.
I think I’m going to monitor Affleck’s directing projects more closely in the future. Argo was a very pleasant surprise!

This also marks the third “four stars or better”-film I’ve seen in cinemas in a row. I’m pretty sure this hasn’t happened since I went to a Lord of the Rings-marathon on the day before the release of Return of the King (which ended in a midnight screening of RotK)... Grin

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top