• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Anything Goes.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Congratulations Tim! Keep going, it completely pays off.
I started working out about 6 months ago, main motivation was that I was overweight, feeling tired and mostly depressed. Started running with a friend and that also helped a lot. Now I mostly run and do “crossfit”, I try to do exercise 5 times a week.
Doesn’t cure everything but it helps… I game a lot less because it takes much of my time but it feels good. Lost 18kg and yesterday I ran my first half marathon (21km). If someone told me a year ago I would be running for 2 hours I would just laugh…
So good luck and keep going!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Well done, man! 18 kg is nothing to scoff at.

I don’t like running because I find it boring. Sports need an element of “play” in them for me.  Innocent
That’s why I’m currently mostly focusing on functional fitness bodyweight exercises. Mostly burpees, planking and supermen, while trying to build up the number (or time) I can do each time, and lowering the amount of rest I need between exercises. Especially the number of burpees I can do needs to go up, but I’ll get there eventually.
The thing is, with their shorter nature, I don’t find them as boring, and I can compete with my previous results to keep it interesting (and to track my progress).
Running with someone would start to irk me if the other one wasn’t running and improving at the same pace as I am. I wouldn’t want to have to strain myself too hard just to keep up, or have to slow down not to leave them in the dust. Knowing myself, most likely the first option. Tongue

The original goal with the dumbbell weights was for recurve archery, which I took up a year ago. I want to go up in draw weight later this year (so I can shoot at targets 90 meters away), and while I probably could go up already, I want to be *really* prepared for it, so my form doesn’t suffer in the slightest.
That turned into a fitness workout so I would be able to “keep up with the kids” until they’re well into their teens, and that in turn made me *want* to diet (even if it’s not drastically at all - I want to be able to maintain it for many many years).

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I think one important thing is to do something you like and feel good about. When I started I went to the gym first but quickly got bored with the usual exercises so that’s when I switched to running outdoor, just find it relaxing now. Also tried a crossfit box and liked it but I do prefer that in groups and not solo, there’s a bit of competition in it.
Didn’t even know what a burpee was until 6 months ago. Neutral
I do miss playing team sports but never got time for it since it involves a organizing significant group of people.

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I agree that doing something you enjoy is very important, but the main thing with any exercize is to do it enough for it to becomes a habit.  I started running every morning in my mid twenties and kept up the habit for more than 10 years.  (I also did a circuit of weight machines 3 times a week for about a year, but I just didn’t enjoy the gym-like atmosphere, so that didn’t last.)  When I got side-tracked by some major life problems, I slacked off my running and turned to stress eating instead, which of course resulted in major weight gain.  I’ve been fighting my weight every since, but I found that walking 2-3 miles every morning helps tremendously both physically and mentally.  I’m not fooling myself that I’ll ever be as fit as I was 35 years ago, but anything I can manage regularly will be to my benefit.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I recommend gym classes with a group. I’m lazy and if I go to the gym and tell myself to do an hour of cycling or weights, I know I’ll slack off. But if someone is telling me “do this!” and watching me and encouraging me, it just makes it so much easier. It’s almost like the instructor’s doing most of the work and not me. I’ve also noticed that going at 80-100% of your capacity for an hour twice a week is way better than a middling 50% jog every evening. I hate the phrase “push yourself hard” but my heart’s probably never been in better shape because of it.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Oscar - 17 September 2018 08:26 PM

I’ve also noticed that going at 80-100% of your capacity for an hour twice a week is way better than a middling 50% jog every evening. I hate the phrase “push yourself hard” but my heart’s probably never been in better shape because of it.

^ This.

I’m not saying my workout is a true “High Intensity Interval Training” (because I still lack the endurance for it and I’m focusing way more on form than on speed), but that’s definitely what I’m aiming for.
It’s also why I like to end sessions with an exercise (usually burpees) until failure (which is within two minutes, but we’ll talk again in a few months Tongue).

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2014-01-05

PM

I started exercising regularly over a year ago, but this time (well, that time to be more precise) I set a goal that I don’t have to exercise 3x something, rather to have exercise as a part of my morning routine.

So, I wake up, I brush my teeth, I eat a piece of whatever fruit I currently have, I exercise and then I eat breakfast and then I turn on computer/phone, see what is happening in the world, start working (I mostly work from home)...

I don’t exercise more than 20 minutes, including warming-up, stretching and doing 3 reps. That’s it. I change my workout depending on how fit I am, but the workout needs to be intensive enough that I’m seriously sweating during the third rep, but it also has to be light enough to do it again tommorow, i.e. not to overstrech any muscle.

It helps me not only to stay fit, but also to try and control my internet/notifications addiction. I found that “no computer until I finish my exercise” works wonders for motivation.

I’m usually aiming to do 1-2 long, intensive exercises during the week but if I don’t have time, I still did some workout so okay.

Recently played: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons 5/5, Bioshock 2 4/5, Tomb Raider (2013) 3/5 Looking forward to: Gibbous, Saint Kotar

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

TimovieMan - 18 September 2018 03:45 AM

It’s also why I like to end sessions with an exercise (usually burpees) until failure (which is within two minutes, but we’ll talk again in a few months Tongue).

That’s nothing to sneeze at! Burpees are full-on and 2 minutes is a very long time to go at that intensity.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Oscar - 18 September 2018 02:37 PM

That’s nothing to sneeze at! Burpees are full-on and 2 minutes is a very long time to go at that intensity.

I’m focusing on form rather than speed, so I manage only 7-8 per minute, and “until failure” is currently 11-12 at the end of a lighter workout (7-8 after a harder workout). Which is a number that I would like to get up to *gasp* 100. Gasp
When I started out, that number was 6 at the *start* of the workout. At least I’m up to 30 total now. Still a long way to go to 100. Tongue

I do the version with a pushup, btw (I’ve seen several other variations online).

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

This one made me smile today:

Which is worse? Ignorance? Or apathy?

v
v
v
v
v

Don’t know, don’t care!

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

A funny thing happened on the way to work this morning.
As I was coming up the ramp of the highway, I had a truck in the lane just next to me who was still going faster than I was. Since my car isn’t all that quick at accelerating, I wasn’t going to make it in time to get ahead of him.
Fortunately the truck driver had spotted me, and switched to the second lane so I could drive up the first. As I gained speed and passed him (and he switched back to the first lane), I blinked all four of my indicators - the in-car equivalent of saying “thanks!”. He flashed his headlights, the equivalent of “you’re welcome!”.
Something as simple as that totally made me happy.

And then 10CC’s “Wall Street Shuffle” started playing in my car, and I spent the rest of the drive to work singing behind the wheel like an idiot… Grin

This is going to be a good day! Cool

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

Advie? Why is your country so heartless? Frown

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Just came back from the Netherlands. The Dutch were super nice and cordial to us, and Amsterdam is beautiful and really fun. If I were to describe the Netherlands with a few nouns, here is what I could think of: Wind mills, clogs, Miffy, tulips, stroopwafles, HUGE pancakes, weed, fries with mayo, cheese, cats and cat lovers, Van gogh, canals, bikes, the color orange. Am I missing anything? Smile

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

SoccerDude - 27 September 2018 10:32 PM

If I were to describe the Netherlands with a few nouns, here is what I could think of: Wind mills, clogs, Miffy, tulips, stroopwafles, HUGE pancakes, weed, fries with mayo, cheese, cats and cat lovers, Van gogh, canals, bikes, the color orange. Am I missing anything? Smile

Well… yes… but I don’t want to be the one to say it Sarcastic

(and there’s also Karlok, but maybe that’s not so common knowledge around here anymore)

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Oscar - 28 September 2018 03:24 AM
SoccerDude - 27 September 2018 10:32 PM

If I were to describe the Netherlands with a few nouns, here is what I could think of: Wind mills, clogs, Miffy, tulips, stroopwafles, HUGE pancakes, weed, fries with mayo, cheese, cats and cat lovers, Van gogh, canals, bikes, the color orange. Am I missing anything? Smile

Well… yes… but I don’t want to be the one to say it Sarcastic

(and there’s also Karlok, but maybe that’s not so common knowledge around here anymore)

Yeah, it’s weird not talking about Red Light District! it’s been a few years since I’ve been there has Amsterdam changed so much?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top