• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

DaleKeybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game have you just finished?

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2018-01-09

PM

angelus_04 - 03 March 2018 08:24 PM

Harvester

It is not that bad a game up till the Lodge area then there is way too much combat luckily the game designers give you cheat codes. I am sad to say I had to use them because I ran out of ammo for the last three fights and there is no way to beat the last three bosses without ammo they all have ranged weapons so by the time you get over there to whack them with something they have already killed you also every time you get hit you get pushed back.

I played this recently as well.  Definitely a very messed up absurdist experience.  I guess they were going for shock value.  Some of the puzzles made sense, and some totally didn’t.  I also eventually started having to cheat the combat portions.  The surreal experience of your sanity taking a dive straight off a cliff immediately after you enter the Lodge is kind of unparalleled.  The game was weird and horrifying (in a darkly comic way) before that, but from then on tension is suddenly through the roof.  I knew it was bad news and kept trying to find a way to progress in the story without entering the Lodge, but of course there isn’t any.

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2018-03-16

PM

Silence.

I don’t get how the later gets bundled in the $1 tier and people still not give it a chance. Game is 9/10 would have been perfect if the puzzles had been a bit more difficult. Oh god how much I care for little Renie.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

SoccerDude - 19 March 2018 06:06 PM
Headycakesofdoom - 19 March 2018 10:56 AM

If you didn’t “get” the game, the problem lies with you, not the game.

Wow obnoxious much? It is his opinion, and I get where he is coming from. I also didn’t get the story in Gorogoa, so you must be a hyper genius compared to us idiots Pan

What didn’t you get about the story? The ending is ambiguous, but it’s a pretty simple tale.

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Latest finished game : Puzzle Agent
Quite a chore to finish, honestly.
The puzzle are at best ok and at worst really bad, with mostly poorly explained rules, and I very much disliked the clumsy presentation, especially the way everything feel so sluggish. Not being able to skip cutscenes is annoying enough in a classic Telltale Game, but in a puzzle game it’s even more frustrating, especially since they are all over the place : going out of a location, watching an item, watching an item for the second time and getting the exact same cutscene, and, worse of all, getting your answer after you submit a result.
And as usual in a Telltale game there’s no way to reconfigure the keys, which is just unforgivable.
Story is ok but not that amazing and I didn’t care for the graphic design.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Oscar - 21 March 2018 07:06 AM

What didn’t you get about the story? The ending is ambiguous, but it’s a pretty simple tale.

What was the story about? I didn’t really understand it There is a dragon and I am walking through panels trying to collect colored orbs that I saw in a book description.  What dos it all mean?

Total Posts: 7445

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Finished Chuchel. Not real bad, not very good either. I had the strong feeling they’d mixed a lot of leftovers from Botanicula in with dexterity elements. I disliked the dexterity parts, although they were not hard, and there were too many of them. The Botanicula voices became irritating after a while, probably because the little hero was talking and screaming non-stop. Three stars, and I’m being generous.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I recently finished What Makes You Tick: A stitch in Time. It’s a very engaging
if challenging adventure that is now available as Freeware due to something to do with the Flash Player application for the game ceasing to be supported or something like that! The game in certain places dragged i.e. it was slow to perform any actions but aside from that I’m glad I got to experience this very lovely adventure with it’s unique art-style before the game can no longer be supported.

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I have recently had the good fortune to play, back-to-back, three of the best adventures I can ever remember playing.  All very different; all highly recommended.

Captain Disaster in: Death Has A Million Stomping Boots
I can only imagine what these guys would do with even a half-decent budget.  Just a perfect old-style point ‘n click adventure with only a couple minor quibbles that a small budget probably couldn’t overcome - one that springs to mind being the occasionally repetitive responses to combining items.  The puzzles were well thought out, varied and I hadn’t seen many like them before.  The characters were charming and funny.  I loved every minute of it and look forward to whatever they do next.

The Sexy Brutale
Such a unique experience. The gameplay, the puzzles, the audiovisual aesthetics were all wonderful.  You probably need to give it a little time at the start because the mechanics are very different from anything I’ve played before. I also think a controller helps as I originally tried it with a mouse and it didn’t quite work. 

What Remains of Edith Finch
I wouldn’t exactly call this one an adventure game but it’s, without doubt, the best Visual Novel I’ve ever played, by quite a distance.  A beautiful, captivating, touching story that grabs you right from the first moment and doesn’t let you go until the end.  You’ll finish it in one sitting most likely, at around 2 hours, but still well worth the money.  As someone with a (former) tendency to avoid walking simulators, I was left wowed by what can be done with the medium.

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Finished Fran Bow
It was a mixed bag. Overall I liked it, thanks to the very interesting mix of cute and horrorific, the characters (especially Fran), the writing, and the way the pills are used in a neat gameplay feature.
But it felt quite uneven, with some parts I loved and some I just didn’t find very interesting (Ithersta for example), graphics that are sometimes very inspired and sometimes just meh, and a tone that changes drastically from one chapter to the next.
That would be a 3,5/5

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

I have just finished Quantum Gate. Fantastic FMV from the 90s. I am looking forward to playing the sequel Vortex, if I can get my hands on it.

Total Posts: 7445

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Luhr28 - 29 March 2018 08:31 AM

I have just finished Quantum Gate. Fantastic FMV from the 90s. I am looking forward to playing the sequel Vortex, if I can get my hands on it.

Really? My own opinion is far less positive, even though I’m a fan of interactive movies and FMV. See link below. But not many people have played it and I’d be interested to know why you liked it so much.

https://adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/3907/

EDIT: The Vortex is available at gametz.com and amazon.com. Ebay as well.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Life is Strange
I have mixed feelings about this game.  Objectively, it has great production value (the acting is outstanding) and I hope it brings in more of its target demographic to the genre.  I just don’t think a 40-year-old (man?) is that demographic so the experience was an uneven one for me.  Drawn in by the story, bored by the mechanics and sometimes annoyed by the characters. 

There were essentially no real puzzles for the majority of the game and then they stuck one in that was very frustrating and unrewarding when I just wanted to get on with the (by then compelling) story.

I ultimately ended up caring about the characters and enjoying the story, so while I wouldn’t highly recommend it, I don’t regret the time invested in playing it and it’s probably a very good game for those drawn in by the characters from the outset. 

I will likely happily play the sequel at some point.

Total Posts: 406

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

I played Kathy Rain, thanks to reading about it on here. I quite liked it, although some parts were a little triggering for me. I am quite happy with the retro pixel look games, so I thought the graphics were nice. I think it would make a good series, with different supernatural type issues. I did wonder if Eileen would turn out to be a villain, as her behaviour was a little weird at first - just turning up at Kathy’s grandma’s house?

The real problem with reality is the lack of background music.

Knightette of the Order of the Caption

Music is what feelings sound like…

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

dumbeur - 01 April 2018 07:24 PM

I just don’t think a 40-year-old (man?) is that demographic so the experience was an uneven one for me.  Drawn in by the story, bored by the mechanics and sometimes annoyed by the characters.

Well, I am near 40 myself and the game totally sucked me in. :-) It’s teen drama, certainly, but teen drama written well enough that it made me empathize with the characters and be invested in the outcome of their stories.

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I think I ultimately ended up in the same place as you, it just took me a while longer to get there.

I’d have to think about why I was initially resistant to the characters.  Certainly, we were all once teenagers, so I can identify there.  It would help me to replay the first episode to refresh my memory but maybe they were a little too earnest for me in the beginning.

I have this site to thank for me giving it a go in the first place as it didn’t seem like my kind of thing at all.  By the end of episode one the story had me (I bought it immediately upon completing that part), and by some time in episode two or three, the characters mattered to me too.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top