• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieVeovis

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game have you just finished?

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2013-02-26

PM

chrissie - 04 March 2018 01:45 PM

I recently played Agatha Christie - The ABC Murders (PC version) & found it to be a very engaging story as from what I understand it did stay relatively close to the book? It was on the easy side but did have its fair share of challenges. Certainly the graphics & voice acting were very pleasing & there was a nice assortment of integrated puzzles.

I played this one recently and really enjoyed it, probably more than any of the other Agatha Christie games I’ve played in the past.  I rather hope they make another in the same vein.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Day of the Tentacle Remastered

Replayed it to remind myself that adventure games can be great.

Best Adventure game ever.

5/5

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Apocalipsis

The gameplay is sort of like a mix between the style of Amanitas games and more traditional inventory puzzles. When it works it’s really good but sometimes it clashes slightly. There are a few puzzles that I solved by pure trial and error. There might be some clues to them but without talking characters I did not manage to find them. The puzzles are varied enough through out the entire game and there are also a couple of short arcade sequences which adds some extra variety. 

The graphics have the style of woodcuts and looks great. As a Black Metal fan it was an extra delight that Nergal (the singer of Behemoth) did the narration. One of their songs is also featured in a new version. The games sound and music was otherwise a bit repetitive which is a shame.

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I gotta play Day of the Tentacle Remastered. It sounds like a great game and is available for IOS.

So many great games out there and so little time…....

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

I finished a bunch of AGs last week (I guess being on sick leave for a few days has its perks :-)).

Gorogoa : Well, that was a disappointment. It’s pretty, sure, but the gameplay, while interesting at first, wears thin very quickly and most of the puzzles I solved using randoms clicks rather than actual reflexion. Also, I can tell there’s a story somewhere, but I couldn’t really make sense of it, not did I feel compelled to. I guess the reviews and screenshots had me over-hyped…

The Wolf Among Us : Totally loved it, which surprised me because I didn’t really care for Tales of the Borderlands. The setting and characters completely clicked with me and I was engrossed in the game for the few hours it took me to complete.
A few gripes though :
- Still hate QTEs though, I wish they would get rid of them and think of other types of mini-games as in Danganronpa (or, let’s be crazy, just introduce some good old puzzles)
- Also hate that they don’t allow to customize the controls. If, like me, you’re using an azerty keyboard, you’ll know what I mean.
- Not being able to skip cutscenes is fine for the first playthrough, but it also stopped me from replaying it to explore other choices… So not a fan.

Valient Hearts : Loved everything about it : theme, story, tone, design, gameplay. Very sweet and also heart-wrenching. Also very easy, but that’s not an issue for me.

Samorost 3 : Very pretty, but still feels too much like a flash game to me, lacks focus, and much too slow for my taste while still being very short.

Tormentum : Dark Sorrows : Strange game, but in the end I really enjoyed it. It has a kind of “Neverending Story meets Aliens” feel, with gorgeous graphics (but no animations to speak of), a bizarre but (to me) engaging story, decent length, and classic puzzles, rather on the easy side. It also has a few different endings depending on your choices, with some interesting moral issues.
I wish there were more games like this.

Enigmatis 3: The Shadow of Karkhala : Really didn’t like this one, everything felt contrived and rehashed. Since I have seen it cited amongst the best Casual Games, it makes me wonder if this genre is simply not made for me, although back then I loved the Mystery Case Files games…

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Two more finished games :

Oxenfree : Pretty slow and some annoying acting (Ren especially), but I really liked the atmosphere. But of course it pales in comparison to the following game…

What remains of Edith Finch : I had heard only good things about this game, and, well, I wasn’t disappointed. As far as “gameplay-lite” adventures go, it’s just perfect, heart-wrenchingly beautiful.

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Ninth - 13 March 2018 12:35 PM

Gorogoa : Well, that was a disappointment. It’s pretty, sure, but the gameplay, while interesting at first, wears thin very quickly and most of the puzzles I solved using randoms clicks rather than actual reflexion. Also, I can tell there’s a story somewhere, but I couldn’t really make sense of it, not did I feel compelled to. I guess the reviews and screenshots had me over-hyped…

Ninth - 19 March 2018 09:28 AM

What remains of Edith Finch : I had heard only good things about this game, and, well, I wasn’t disappointed. As far as “gameplay-lite” adventures go, it’s just perfect, heart-wrenchingly beautiful

Sorry Ninth, but Gorogoa is a masterpiece compared with What Remains of Edith Finch.

(and a masterpiece when not compared with it too)

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Headycakesofdoom - 19 March 2018 10:33 AM

Sorry Ninth, but Gorogoa is a masterpiece compared with What Remains of Edith Finch.

I’m not saying that it’s not a masterpiece, and since everyone is raving about it probably is, but it simply didn’t resonate with me and I will promptly forget about it.
Maybe the story was too subtle, or too diluted, but I didn’t get what it was trying to tell me, and on the gameplay front as I said I played through it mostly click-and-draging ramdomly (and with success).
Also, why would you want to compare these two games ? There’s no real connection between the two aside from their length, as their presentation and gameplay is totally different.

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

If you didn’t “get” the game, the problem lies with you, not the game.

And I compare the two games because they were both mentioned in your post. It’s that simple.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Headycakesofdoom - 19 March 2018 10:33 AM

It’s true. On this very website Gorogoa got 4.5 stars, while WRoEF didn’t get any.

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Headycakesofdoom - 19 March 2018 10:56 AM

And I compare the two games because they were both mentioned in your post. It’s that simple.

Or he just has different tastes to others. Crazy talk, I know!

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Thanks for pointing out my shortcomings.
I never said the game had a problem though, just that I didn’t like it as much as I would have expected/liked.

I wouldn’t mind an actual explanation, or at least some keys to try to decipher the story, though.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Wow obnoxious much? It is his opinion, and I get where he is coming from. I also didn’t get the story in Gorogoa, so you must be a hyper genius compared to us idiots Pan

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Finished recently : Danganronpa : Trigger Happy Haovc

Fun, fun, fun. And also quite disturbing, left me with an uneasy feeling each time I ended a session late at night. Quite thrilling at times, too ; last time I felt this was with Spycraft. 
Lots of text, though, including too many explanations of stuff most players would have already figured out, which made the protagonist seem quite a tool and impersonating him a bit annoying.
Also, I like my games a bit more alive, so I’m not sure I would be a good client for the whole “interactive novel” thingie.

That said, I’m sold to this particular series, and Danrangonpa 2 is (one of the) next on my list.  Smile

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Ninth - 19 March 2018 06:24 PM

Lots of text, though, including too many explanations of stuff most players would have already figured out, which made the protagonist seem quite a tool and impersonating him a bit annoying.
Also, I like my games a bit more alive, so I’m not sure I would be a good client for the whole “interactive novel” thingie.

I think it is a cultural thing. Japanese games tend to veer more towards lots of exposition (like Phoenix Wright, or the MGS series where the cutscenes from an MGS game are longer than full length movies).

By the way you are in for a treat. DR 2 is even crazier than the last one, and my favorite in the series.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top