• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Henk61

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game have you just finished?

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Sally Face just plain looks very cool. Fran Bow was a very strange game. Even very strange for a horror game.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Peter254 - 20 February 2018 03:22 PM

I still very much like Fran Bow and in a lot of ways I think it’s fair to conclude that it’s a better designed game than Sally Face. But what made me, personally, feel more attached to Sally Face is its slight nudge towards a ‘true crime’ element, starting in Episode 3. While I enjoyed Fran Bow, I had hoped that its plot would be less fantastical and metaphorical, with more of a realistic emphasis on the crime of her parents’ death.

The narrative of Sally Face sort of plays out like Fran Bow had it not taken such a sudden detour into fantasy. Neither approach is inherently better or worse; but for my own tastes, as a lover of conspiracies and true crime, Sally Face scratches a certain itch.

For sure the game builds more steam with Episode 3. The lone developer has stated that his mind was in an unhappy place when he made the first two, and that he’s doing a lot better now.

Hi Peter, I’ve got to change my mind now after getting to the end of Episode 3 & have to agree that the game for me, also as a lover of conspiracies & true crime, is possibly better than Fran Bow!
I finished with 6 out of 21 achievements! How so? Well there is quite a lot more to this game than the simplistic going back & forth, which is all I expected to do, & clicking on the labelled items to interact with. Something I overlooked apart from in a couple of places is that there’s far more to interact with than what’s actually labelled so I will go back to the game at some point!

There is so much more to this game than was originally presented. As said, in Episode 2 I really didn’t like the ‘retro puzzles’ accessed by the gamepad in inventory which try to fill in with some info but I was completely overawed & impressed by the tie-up between those puzzles & the echoing of the environments towards the end of Episode 3 - if that makes sense! I really can’t wait for Episode 4 now! Thanks peter for mentioning the game - I’m hooked!    Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

The game does not look as disturbing as Fran Bow (because the horror was what turned me off that game), is this true? If so, I might give it a try

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Total Posts: 49

Joined 2011-03-04

PM

Just finished Oxenfree (twice! for the better ending)

I liked it, it was very nice. More on the interactive story side than a traditional adventure game, but the plot was good enough to make me overlook the lack of puzzles.
Slightly creepy and original.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Donuts McGee - 21 February 2018 01:32 PM

The game does not look as disturbing as Fran Bow (because the horror was what turned me off that game), is this true? If so, I might give it a try

I don’t know what to say here - the game is by no means as weird & wacky as Fran Bow & far less disturbing as far as I’ve got…...it’s not your regular investigative game but….. it’s worth trying the 1st episode to start with.  Smile

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

sordy-wordy - 21 February 2018 01:34 PM

Just finished Oxenfree (twice! for the better ending)

I liked it, it was very nice. More on the interactive story side than a traditional adventure game, but the plot was good enough to make me overlook the lack of puzzles.
Slightly creepy and original.

I quite liked the look of it but I’m now tempted to try the game.  Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Finally finished Runaway: A Road Adventure.

There’s a lot of positives.  Great graphics (I can forgive some screen-tearing for a seventeen(!) year old game), great voice acting, fun story.  It seemed to have high production values (for its age) though I got the impression they ran out of time/money when it came to the cutscenes.

What absolutely keeps it being a classic for me were some of the ludicrous pixel-hunting “puzzles”.  It surely had to be intentional with the way some of them were placed.  Do people actually enjoy that aspect of the game enough to make it a feature?  I know in later games (Yesterday and/or Yesterday Origins) Pendulo added a hotspot button so they must have acknowledged the problem at some point.

Overall I’d give it a 7/10.

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2016-06-14

PM

Harvester

It is not that bad a game up till the Lodge area then there is way too much combat luckily the game designers give you cheat codes. I am sad to say I had to use them because I ran out of ammo for the last three fights and there is no way to beat the last three bosses without ammo they all have ranged weapons so by the time you get over there to whack them with something they have already killed you also every time you get hit you get pushed back. Oh one other warning the game is really messed up so definitely not a game to play with your kids.

Rating 6/10 I would have given it a 7 if not for the combat parts and having to reload several times one time I had to reload simply my character got stuck in a corner and I couldn’t move so I had to redo that scene again.

“You fight like a dairy farmer” - Secret of Monkey Island
“you always were a kidder Steve” - Harvester
“hello bright eyes” - Blackwell Legacy
“feeling lonely” - The 7th Guest

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I finally finished Thaumistry: In Charm’s Way, my first text adventure.  It was a wonderfully funny game in so many ways.  Some of the spells made me laugh out loud, especially when they were used in unconventional ways.  I recommend this one highly.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Rime

Free on PSN this month is this nice little puzzle platformer Rime. You are a young boy who washes up on a deserted island (for the most part) and must puzzle your your way through doors and find a way to the top of the tower.

Pros

* Sonically and visually georgous. The cell shaded landscapes and slow classical soudtrack are a pleasure. Lighting can really add to the magical atmosphere in early level and depress you later in the wet maze city

* Puzzles are simple but fun. Shadow puzzles allow you to alter the day/night cycles, pressure plate puzzles where you have to manipulate boxes or a “robot” and energy puzzles that have to be done from certain places or timed.

Cons

* Easy to get lost and not sure what to do next and your fox guide has vanished.

* I could see what they were going for, but I don’t think they fully pulled it off.

Overall it was a fun 5-6 hours, but probably won’t stand out.

3/5

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I recently played Agatha Christie - The ABC Murders (PC version) & found it to be a very engaging story as from what I understand it did stay relatively close to the book? It was on the easy side but did have its fair share of challenges. Certainly the graphics & voice acting were very pleasing & there was a nice assortment of integrated puzzles.

I also completed Freeware game What Makes You Tick which had an interesting story & seemed to be exceptionally good in logical inventory manipulation but not so easy!  Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Lady Kestrel - 03 March 2018 11:15 PM

I finally finished Thaumistry: In Charm’s Way, my first text adventure.  It was a wonderfully funny game in so many ways.  Some of the spells made me laugh out loud, especially when they were used in unconventional ways.  I recommend this one highly.

Congratulations Lady Kestrel on losing your text adventure virginity! Thaumistry was great, and there are plenty more where that came from. Have you any plans to continue your journey into the amazing world of interactive fiction?  Laughing

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I will definitely play another text adventure, BitingWit, after I make a small dent in my graphic adventures pile.  I own 1893: A World’s Fair Adventure, which I understand is fairly tough, and Future Boy, which has some colored graphics and might be more fun of the two.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

I finally finished Omegaland!

It’s not an adventure game, more a Super Mario World-alike - but it was made by Jonas Kyratzes, it’s quite distinctively his work and has a lot in common with his adventure games. Lots of character, lots of detail, quite a lot of cleverness and meta stuff and, well, let’s just say if you found The Sea Will Claim Everything too political then maybe this one isn’t for you. But otherwise, if you like his adventures and aren’t completely averse to platforming, maybe give this a try. I enjoyed it a lot.

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Just completed Day Of The Tentacle Remastered.

For reasons that I don’t understand/remember I never did play the original. Back in 1993 this would have been well received for originality and humour, fitting in well with the likes of Simon The Sorcerer for example. However -

Quite how the remake can be so lauded escapes me. Sure, the graphics are good now compared to then but, to me, the game comes across as severely dated and very much of its time. I doubt that I smiled more than once and this from something that purports to be comedic. The perennial toing and froing became very tedious and if there was any way to stop responses once heard for the first time I didn’t find how to do it. Also no ability to turn off sub-titles.
I waded trough it all but it was a relief when I finished.
Considering how well this was received as a remake I’m obviously in a very tiny minority by being unimpressed. Oh well Smile

Life is what it is.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top