• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Wednesday 01 February 2017

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

FEBRUARY FEVER

Today is the beginning of the 1st full month in the Chinese New Year which began on the 28th January.

It’s the year of the Fire Rooster & I was quite hard pushed to find any chickens, let alone roosters of the fiery sort so the best I could do was this offering from: Fairy Tale about Father Frost, Ivan & Nastya

I’m familiar with a lot of the screenshots (& music) but have never played the game - it looks interesting?

Please feel free (hoping I won’t regret this) to post any AG roosters I overlooked! Laughing

Total Posts: 74

Joined 2017-01-13

PM

Omg you’re right! At first i thought “surely there must be a rooster in Monkey Island”? But those are all chickens!!! I mean…even the rubber ones!

Clearly there are not enough roosters in AGs!

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

its a casual adventure as easy Emerald City Confidential game playing wise, but surely nothing like Gilbert‘s amazing writing.

The game’s tale is inspired by Russian folklore, with kinda Disney cartoonish outlook, similar to King’s Quest VII, but with backgrounds more nicely rendered.

Given by Bohemia Interactive which had brought adventures like Gooka, AlternativA, but since 2010 it was acquired by Centauri Production (that gave Memento Mori) they (the two companies) are still operating individually, yet the crew members of each overlap.

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Bitano - 01 February 2017 03:47 PM

Omg you’re right! At first i thought “surely there must be a rooster in Monkey Island”? But those are all chickens!!! I mean…even the rubber ones!

Clearly there are not enough roosters in AGs!

Alas, I just picked the wrong Chinese New Year to post a screenshot from otherwise I could have chosen from rats, dogs, monkeys, snakes etc i.e. a variety of animals that ARE abundant in AGs! Laughing

Advie - 01 February 2017 05:02 PM

its a casual adventure as easy Emerald City Confidential game playing wise, but surely nothing like Gilbert‘s amazing writing.

The game’s tale is inspired by Russian folklore, with kinda Disney cartoonish outlook, similar to King’s Quest VII, but with backgrounds more nicely rendered.

Given by Bohemia Interactive which had brought adventures like Gooka, AlternativA, but since 2010 it was acquired by Centauri Production (that gave Memento Mori) they (the two companies) are still operating individually, yet the crew members of each overlap.

Thanks for the info Advie! but does a game just because it’s a little easier to play fall automatically into the category of ‘casual’?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

chrissie - 02 February 2017 02:19 PM

Thanks for the info Advie! but does a game just because it’s a little easier to play fall automatically into the category of ‘casual’?

thats a very good question, i dont know tho i feel that oughta say yes, casual games are adventure games made up series of puzzles in a very casual that doesn’t take the player much of baffling to explore and progress into the story, it’s the total opposite of a game like Witness .
that description kinda fits this and Emerald City Confidential, where at the latter the player had to progress thru levels where a meter was shown down at the bottom of the screen, which make the player relaxed about his progress, again its opposite of games like Myst where you don’t know exactly where are you thru the game and where/what the puzzles are until exploring the location back and forth and try everything… a lots of baffling .

its a good question, what really defines casual game really?

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Advie - 02 February 2017 08:10 PM

its a good question, what really defines casual game really?

I find it hard to believe we keep revisiting this question.

To me a casual game is an adventure game that is simplified for those that don’t have the time nor desire to spend 20-40 hours playing a game. Rather than going through various rooms, searching for hot spots to find a key that will unlock the chest, the tedious search is replaced with a hidden object scene which allows you to find the key in a different manner.

As far as puzzles are concerned, not much difference between the two. There are sliders, inventory combinations, logic, penny jumps, newspaper under the door, etc. Lots of commonality.

Biggest difference is lack of character development. With a few exceptions, casuals have very little. The converse is that regular adventures have too much, thereby artificially extending gameplay.

Next time there is a Casual Playthrough, I invite you to participate. That might be the best way for you to find out for yourself what constitutes a casual game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top