• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Carles

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Rob Swigart’s Portal (1986) Reborn v2.0

Total Posts: 212

Joined 2005-10-07

PM

I discovered this project a couple of days ago, and of all the current ongoing Kickstarter campaigns it has to be the one which has most piqued my interest, though it’s the one which seems to be getting the least attention.

Reading all about it on their page, it sounds like a good well thought out science-fiction story, coupled with some interesting gameplay elements, and already I find myself wanting to play it. I’m also quite partial to some of the concept art they have to show.

My only real concern is that they want to do it in 3D, and on the budget that they’ve proposed. 3D and adventure games is a difficult balance to get right at the best of times, but I find that when cheap 3D is employed it detracts from a game more than anything else, and reduces immersion. I worry that perhaps they’re being over ambitious with the scope of what they’d like to create.

I’m intrigued enough that I’m backing it, because I’d like to see it get made. What are everyone else’s thoughts? I know there was a thread on the old forum, but feel free to repeat yourselves.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

just in case it wasnt apparent: this is actually the 2nd kickstarter theyv tried, the first had a goal of 900k and that failed so now theyr trying 500k.
Maybe the biggest problem i have with the project is that this Swigart person hasnt done a game since 1986, far as i can tell hasnt been involved with the industry since then, and is now asking for major $$$ to make a remake for a game thats unheard of and theres little demand for. Id like to see what this will look like… but theyr just going to have to take a different approach to have any chance of making this happen, even if that means taking out a loan themselves to make a very cheap novel game.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

I really wish they wouldn’t shoot so high with their ambitions. They’re talking about doing something in the vein of Dreamfall, but with that budget it’s just impossible. I would like to see them focus their efforts on something more doable, maybe something like the old game updated to modern standards, that sounds much more realistic. Their concept is too much pie in the sky, I think.
I pledged 15$ out of curiosity, but I don’t think it will make it anyway.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

on a not-very-related note… can anyone else imagine a scenario where “darkstar: the interactive movie” became a kickstarter project? Its a pretty amazing game.. but it feels like about 10 people played it… and i can imagine them having the same struggles as rob swigart.. but through amazing dedication over 15ish years they got that game released themselves, and its a fascinating (imperfect as it may be) product.
If swigart wants to get back into games theyr going to have to do it the hard way.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I think it sounds great and if there was any justice in the world they would get fully funded, but Kickstarter only seems to be working on known quantities and names.

This is asking for too much money with little PR and an obscure game.

It’s a shame.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 212

Joined 2005-10-07

PM

Unfortunately they cancelled this last night. They still had over 20 days left on the campaign, but at the rate that money was coming in it looked as though they’d get nowhere near their target, so I guess they thought it best to cut their losses.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top