• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

DaleLady KestrelrtrooneySpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Revolutionary for gaming….what does that mean for AGs?

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

We’ve all been derping around in kickstarter as of late…many of us just to pledge on AG projects.Today i saw this article which drew my attention.I thought this is interesting,might as well check out how the AG projects are doing in a large scale and see which of them are referred to.Of course DFA is there(well duh!!) but to my surprise there were a lot of projects that weren’t games but game-related,for example game hardware.
Then I proceeded to check those kickstarters that amassed millions to see what they were about when I stumbled into this.The Oculus Rift.

It’s a virtual reality headset that is destined for the average gamer’s budget.We all know virtual reality so it’s not something worth explaining and it’d be better to see the kickstarter video.

I can’t help but wonder what that would mean for AGs….can we hope for an Oculus Rift-ready AG?Will it be used?
It seems that many engine developers such as Epic Games(Unreal Engine) and Unity have jumped on the rift so to speak.
Also how many of you here would like an experience like that in AGs?
Is there any reason you wouln’t like it?

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2011-02-25

PM

Someone correct me, but i’m not sure you’ll get a real depth effect in adventure games since the vast majority of them are using 2D engines.

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

though there are some about(Amnesia The Dark Descent,Adam Venture,Lost Horizon).but anyway humour me,let’s say that eventually some developer is going to use 3D graphics and make them well.there’s also the way 3D movies are made by conversion,i’m not sure if it can work but it could.the question in the end is will it improve immersion for AGs?does it make sense?are there people who would consider it and how many?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

well , since i had gone pledging for three projects i had a theory from start ,

1- if every adventurer who pledged before believed into bringing back old developers to their right course then i must take my share.

2-Picky.

3- someone has to confirm (someday) my suspicious at the developers just taking the crowd as their 1st defense shield into falling, is false/wrong.

4-those developers must have another financial resources to cover their progress through the developing process just the same,  and not only depending on the Crowd and for that i must mention that i hated Broken Sword - the Serpent’s Curse target stretching , as it looks like they want to squeeze all possibilities before ......Something.

5- i did my share with these three and i must wait and and, if this Crowd funding Adventures results only poured its successes into one project only not the whole genre then the hell with it.

6- that if those developers claimed later on (again) after their Adventures were out ,released and rated (wether succeded or not) for another kickstarter, then the hell with it as well.

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

Advie,unless my understanding is wrong, you are completely offtopic.this thread is not about kickstarter in general but the Oculus Rift and it’s impact on AGs.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

well its not really off topic James, because that Revolutionary depend (big time) on the success of those kickstarers .

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

i doubt it.these kickstarter projects are all 2D and mainly pitched as traditional games from veterans.i don’t think the future of AGs is connected only to these.it is going to be brighter if they go well but if not it will probably be as was right before kickstarters.and considering it is marketed for the average gamer budget i doubt it will be expensive for those developers that are making 3D games already.maybe it will be somewhat difficult to adjust to using a new game engine they’re not familiar with but then again they might already be using it.we could very well see an Amnesia game in Rift.

not saying the veterans won’t at least consider it in the future or maybe even use it but the theme they’re going for now is totally different and my opinion is they will continue down the same road depending how well they sell.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i really don’t want to get into details considering the engines and the technology of the adventure gaming, or lets i can not.

i understand that at least all Adventures now should had been like Dreamfall’s output, not the otherwise.

but let me tell you this James, Adventure game will remain!... the way Hard rock Genre remains , with of course a big shot Adventure (from time to time) , but do not expect more than that , don’t expect a real revolution , unless Adventure Games can target consoles only (Wii and DS and PS )and teenagers , and forget about PC and the Classic Gaming

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I find it odd that the technology hasn’t come sooner. It’s really nothing other than a visual form of the earphone - where the sensual input is supplied directly to the organ rather than from a distance. The difference is that earphones aren’t really used to make things ‘more realistic’ (maybe more atmospheric), while that seems to be the stated purpose of virtual reality. Do people want more realistic adventure games? I don’t know if viewing Deponia through an eyepiece would improve anything. A first person game might be better, but there was a thread a while ago about how interest in first person AGs is declining, and anyone spending some time on the forum can see that clearly.

The most important statement as far as I can see is this: “Other than that, there are no minimum specifications, though the more powerful the computer, the better the experience will be.” At risk of generalisation, AG players don’t often see the need for the most up to date gaming equipment. Our games are several years behind the system requirements, and we see this as a good thing - wasn’t Resonance the most popular game this year? I can’t see VR being a worthwhile experience unless with amazing graphics, a very resolution and high frame rate (>60). Anything less would be likely to give me motion sickness.

Would I buy one personally? I don’t know. I’d have to try it first. An atmospheric game like Xing or Dear Esther in VR could be quite an experience, though I wouldn’t want to play Amnesia - it’s scary enough as it is Smile

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Oscar - 10 September 2012 02:52 PM

AG players don’t often see the need for the most up to date gaming equipment. Our games are several years behind the system requirements, and we see this as a good thing.

absolutely correct ,we people enjoy the ScummVM games more than the new ones!!

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I think something like this would be great. Total immersion gaming will come and this technology has been floating around for years, but has never taken off.

You should listen to John Carmack talk about this. The guy is a freaking genius.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2012-06-05

PM

I think that the Oculus Rift is most suitable for first person games. I don’t know how well it will fit other games, although it’s certainly possible that game developers will be able to tailor an experience for it, though probably not for 2D or 2.5D games.

There are first person adventure games, but not many. Perhaps there will be more if this technology catches on. However, I still have my doubts about the success of any 3D technology. They are always cool, but also always cumbersome enough to be annoying for many.

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

i went away for a while and there are lots to say…of course the first person is the most suitable after all this headset is about viewing things like you would through real eyes.but it needs to be 3D in order to feel right.there is one coming up that i think would really suit this technology…...Routine,though not a classic AG per se and more on the survival side but still there is a mystery you need to uncover.

also it’s not 3D like the 3D we say about TVs….AAA games are 3D anyway..the graphics are there.why not.

@Oscar,like they say in the kickstarter video the tech has been there but it was very expensive.they are making something more accessible to gamers.And with so many people behind the project it’s certainly something to check out.John Carmack is one of the people responsible for making pc gaming popular.he is also behind many achievements in terms of techniques and theory for graphics and game development.

I think it will catch on at least in the FPS genre.but potentially it could be quite the experience for FP AGs….i imagine Asylum for example that way.yeah creepy i know but with a resolution like that it’s tempting even if i have to wear diapers along the way:P.

also we don’t know if this means we need up to date hardware for it.so far we know few things about it.if a pc can play Amnesia it might also be able to play a Rift-ready AG.

i know AGs will remain.it was a niche market till the kickstarters and now it’s trying for something more.if it fails then we’re back to the same old same old.i think it depends on how easy or difficult it will be to develop Rift-ready games.Seeing Routine though and what these guys who were unknown to us till recently i think it’s doable.and it is a small studio,company,whatever.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top