• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceanchrissieKeybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Sunday 2 September 2012

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

On this day of mourning, here’s a pretty, peaceful picture.

(This is of course from Kadish Tolesa, the mausoleum age in Uru.)

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

the worst of the series a 3rd person perspective for Myst Games was a bad idea even the 1st person view was so tiring and odd!

something else Kuru

i am wondering why you gave away the silver lining as a whole, not parts!

2nd with your daily Scene i wonder how BIG is the Adventure scene was/is, at start of your scene of the day, i knew all games you were posting but then you started to dig and dig deeper into genre and i became the otherwise almost all the scenes/games i don’t recognize or even heard about.

3rd i know you have some sort of schedule, and wonder about sierra, there are many Gems out there you still haven’t brought up,

its easy talking i know .. Carry On Smile)

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I really liked the Uru series!! I liked their graphics, the amazing worlds, the details (anyone else took notes from the books describing the history of the D’ni kings?), their unique style and their really smart riddles that many times led you think out of the box (all right, all right!! Except for the stupidest riddle ever made aka main riddle in Path of the Shell). I liked that through the Uru, they tried to make a different line of story. One that doesn’t have to do with the story of Atrus family (Myst series), but with the fate of the D’ni civilization. It was a nice change. However, it was really bad when they decided to put the whole “save the D’ni” in Myst 5, which was by far the worst of the series.
Oh! And something more. I like decorating my one island!  Smile

Total Posts: 87

Joined 2007-07-23

PM

Uru was intended as a online multiplayer game, and the single player offline game was only made after that idea was abandoned. That would explain the 3rd person aspect anyway.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Advie - 02 September 2012 02:55 PM

i am wondering why you gave away the silver lining as a whole, not parts!

Because they’re four chapters from one big(?) game. It would have been silly to spend four weeks on TSL, just like it would have been silly to spend 6 weeks going over the 6 chapters of KQ7.

2nd with your daily Scene i wonder how BIG is the Adventure scene was/is, at start of your scene of the day, i knew all games you were posting but then you started to dig and dig deeper into genre and i became the otherwise almost all the scenes/games i don’t recognize or even heard about.

I know you’ve been saying that for some time, but I honestly don’t see it. Looking at the list for the past two weeks:

12-08-20 Shadow of the Comet
12-08-21 Portal 2
12-08-22 Isabelle
12-08-23 Space Quest IV
12-08-24 King’s Quest II+
12-08-25 Return to Mysterious Island 2
12-08-26 Another Code
12-08-27 Dreamfall
12-08-28 Keepsake
12-08-29 Apprentice
12-08-30 Drawn
12-08-31 The Silver Lining
12-09-01 Shivers 2
12-09-02 Uru: Ages Beyond Myst

Most of these games are very recognizable. Isabelle and Apprentice are the exceptions, but 1 lesser-known game per week (on average) seems fair to me, and is definitely something I want to keep doing.

The last time you posted about my showcasing obscure games, it was a scene from a Sam & Max game, i.e. something most people would agree is not obscure at all. Maybe you need to broaden your scope and try something beyond your usual fare—you might be pleasantly surprised. Tongue

(Looking at this list, I’m actually very happy with the balance of release dates, gameplay styles, platforms and fame. OK, there should have been a pre-VGA game in there, and possibly there are a few too many 1st-person / solitary exploration games—but that was necessary to balance the lack of them in the previous weeks.)

3rd i know you have some sort of schedule, and wonder about sierra, there are many Gems out there you still haven’t brought up,

Out of the 106 scenes that have been done, there have been 14 Sierra games + 1 repeat + 3 KQ fan games (I’m not counting Dynamix and Coktel). Now, looking at Mobygames, there are around 60 Sierra adventures, including a few that I reserve the right not to do (Winnie the Pooh, Troll’s Tale, etc.). So at the current rate we should have covered the list by the time the AGSD reaches its first anniversary (supposing I haven’t given up by then). That seems reasonable to me.

(TL;DR version of this post)

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

well i see you just disagree, because i think then the Abbreviation of All ToMI episodes in one Season would be a waste or is Silver Lining just a different case .

you have a point that all those games not being obscure it was just Lovecraft’s that were odd for me as i never played any of them .

and about sierra, i meant now after KQ days are Finished it can be a Sierra Day and you might also think again about counting Dynamix and Coktel because one can not take SQ5 out of being a Sierra Production as others. but anyways i dont think you would like take any suggestion or at least from me, so i wont bother you anymore.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Advie - 02 September 2012 10:40 PM

you have a point that all those games not being obscure it was just Lovecraft’s that were odd for me as i never played any of them.

Well, you should play them. OK, not Daughter of Serpents, and The Awakened may not be essential, but the other 5 are fantastic games that everyone should have played. And that’s the point of these threads: if they make people want to try out (or replay) adventures, then I’m doing something right. Smile

Back on topic, I actually enjoy Uru. The controls are a bit awkward at first, but once you’ve switched to 1st-person and remapped things to something more sensible, it plays very smoothly. I just enjoy being able to walk into these worlds and taking time to take in the sights. I could definitely have done without Yeesha (Question of the day: In which game did you most want to bash her head in? Myst IV, Myst V or Uru? I vote Myst V, with Myst IV not far behind.), and the Bahro are Myst’s midichlorians. Sick But apart from that, I really enjoyed the game.

(I was just re-reading my comments from when I first played the game—already in an AGSD thread—and I’m surprised at how much they agree with how I felt when I replayed the game a year and a half ago. Except I think I enjoyed Kadish Tolesa more the second time around. And I still need to replay Path of the Shell—which I think I’m going to do right now!)

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Kurufinwe -

And that’s the point of these threads: if they make people want to try out (or replay) adventures, then I’m doing something right.

I think I’ve added 15-20 games to my list of games to play, purely based on the AGSotD. Thumbs Up

The only thing that has made me want to play (or replay) more titles than that, was the AG Top 100 a few months ago, and you’re definitely looking to surpass it…

I love these threads! Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Advie - 02 September 2012 10:40 PM

so i wont bother you anymore.

I’m not Kurufinwe and I’m speaking for myself only. You’re always criticizing this thread, which is meant to appeal to more people than just Advie. I hope you’ll keep your promise this time.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Fien - 03 September 2012 12:17 PM

I’m not Kurufinwe and I’m speaking for myself only. You’re always criticizing this thread, which is meant to appeal to more people than just Advie. I hope you’ll keep your promise this time.

Oh, let him say what he wants. I always value criticism; it’s the only way to improve. People need to accept that (1) while I listen to everyone, I’m not going to bend over backward to fulfil one person’s particular wishes if I feel it’s detrimental to the project as a whole and (2) this needs to remain enjoyable for me, because the day I stop enjoying all this is the day I’ll stop posting those threads. But it’s not an exact science and I’m always trying to figure out how to generate more interest or conversation. As long as we’re clear on the two caveats above, I always take feedback into consideration, even if I don’t always reply to it or seem to act on it immediately (or ever).

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Like I said, I’m speaking for myself only. Not for you. And I stand by what I said. His constant nagging, complaining and accusing is finally getting on my nerves.

Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

No! i am keeping my Promise Kuru, because when things start to get a little Personal anything could be rejected immediately .

but anyway i am sorry if my criticism had once failed to be as polite as thought it was.

and a notice; i did more praising to this thread more than i criticized, but we just always seem to forget.

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Advie - 03 September 2012 03:41 PM

but anyway i am sorry if my criticism had once failed to be as polite as thought it was.

You are the only poster criticizing Kurufinwe’s selection of screenshots/games or his comments. More than once.

and a notice; i did more praising to this thread more than i criticized, but we just always seem to forget.

Have you ever responded (either in a positive or negative way) to an AGSotD of a non-Sierra game? Just asking…

Looking forward to:

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Smile

its nice that its shown how much I Love Sierra, but answering your Question 1st:
Yeah at least i remember Blade Runner and Exile .

and Fien, just take a Min and look again at my 1st post Here

Advie - 02 September 2012 02:55 PM

“i am wondering why you gave away the silver lining as a whole, not parts!”
That is a simple Question and doesnt hold any criticizing

“2nd with your daily Scene i wonder how BIG is the Adventure scene was/is”
I guess i praise How this AGSotD proven to me that there are Gems more that my eyes can see.

“but then you started to dig and dig deeper into genre and i became the otherwise almost all the scenes/games i don’t recognize or even heard about”
here i was only Blaming myself for not knowing, and i explained later that i never played any of Lovecraft’s plus i tell you now i dont know what/who is Lovecraft is.
and about Digging deep i suppose that is a good thing, isnt it?  shows that this thread present more than the usual Games (the Hotspots) that everyone already knows about.

“know you have some sort of schedule, and wonder about sierra, there are many Gems out there you still haven’t brought up”
i guess that is a simple Suggesting , made upon kuru’s post at TSL that this was the end of KQs day.

its easy talking i know .. Carry On Smile)
of course i am suggesting that whatever said, you are one who is doing Dirty Hard Work so Carry on

simply i wasn’t a criticizer even at least here.

so please take it easy

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

As mentioned earlier in this thread, I went ahead and finished my Uru playthrough (started 18 months ago) by replaying Path of the Shell (yay for Labor Day week-end!). I’m not sure why I didn’t replay it along with the rest at the time; I guess I was just tired of this style of games (according to my notebook, I had replayed Riven right before replaying Uru). Also, To D’ni being one of the most obnoxious games ever certainly didn’t help. (Seriously, that thing is half D’ni fanwank, half gigantic 3D pixel-hunting. Ugh.)

Er’cana, the age with the big factory, was lots of fun. Ahnonay, the age with the “time travel” theme, on the other hand, not so much. That’s a shame, because the concept of it is so very, very clever, and it allows for some fantastic puzzles. But it’s bogged down by tedious mechanics (link in, run around the stupid island, link out, possibly go round again if necessary, link to your Relto, link back using the shell symbol, lather, rinse, repeat). Also, the puzzles are really insufficiently clued and get insanely hard; and the worse is that some of them feel completely arbitrary: Why does a certain lever allow you to move the worlds sometimes but not at other times? What are the conditions for the door to the central hub to open?

I can guess part of the unreasonable difficulty comes from the fact that this was supposed to be an on-line game. By making the game really hard, it forced the players to interact and put their heads together to crack the puzzles—a bit like some of those crazy ARGs. But as a single-player game, it just gets ridiculous and unfair at times.

And then there’s the Path of the Shell proper. When I read Sefir’s post yesterday complaining about it, I absolutely couldn’t remember what he was referring to. And then I got there… Oh my. What an interesting puzzle solution. Standing still for 15 real-time minutes. TWICE! What. The. Fuck.

At the end of the day, I’m glad I’ve finally completed my Uru playthrough, and for all its problems I enjoyed Path of the Shell, because I love exploring these worlds. And the end theme is just one of my favourite pieces of game music ever. Still, it’ll definitely be a while before I replay it again.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top