• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Gabezobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #38: Touché: The Adventures of the Fifth Musketeer

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

zane - 20 March 2016 11:32 PM

does the inventory system make anyone else nervous that its going to bug out and put me in a dead end??  Sarcastic
iv somehow ended up with two melons now when im pretty sure i should have 0. And everything is layered on top of other things, super not convenient.

Yeah, I still have that money issue, so I’m always thinking a bug will stop me.
I still have one melon, but 2 seems even better Smile
About the melon puzzle, I wonder how developers come up with that stuff…

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I got surprisingly far in this before I just flipped and took a walkthrough in my hands. From La Havre onwards I used some additonal help and and let me just flip a huge finger to the devs here, as without the walkthrough I probably would have punched in my monitor, as I would have never found that 4 pixel long chalk hotspot had I not know that there’s one in the screen.

Some more thoughts: the writing is at places very funny, the humour of the game works very well when it works, at places the jokes are brought down because of the often mentioned repeating dialogue bits.

If a company like Night Dive would do a polished version of the game, removing some of those little annoyances, I’d be more than willing to give it two thumbs up instead of one thumb with proceed with caution mention.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

i just had to use a walkthrough because there is simply no image for the soap in the monestary for me… nothing.. i hover over the spot by the basin and it says “soap”, and i pick it up, and absolutely nothing in the image changes from picking it up. Though even if i had managed to pick up this invisible soap on my own, using it on the stocks wouldv been one of the last items i tried.. which wouldv taken a while considering how amazingly sluggish this inventory system is.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Reading those inventory issues, I’m glad I decided to use the latest scummvm version.

I’ve finished the game now, didn’t really get stuck but then I remembered a lot of the puzzles from before. I still like this game but I must say that in my memories, this game was much better than it actually is. The writing and humour is good but there’s a lot of polishing that needs to be done. The fact that they always repeat everything is pretty annoying (space is your friend here) and some of the pixel hunting is annoying.

One of the thing that I do like (and I remember liking it before) is the number of locations you can access and the fact that it’s really not a linear game. There’s a lot of things that can be done in any order, there are even alternative solutions that make sense for some puzzles and that’s really something that few games do well.

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’m in LeHavre now, or at least on the other side of the river with a holey boat.  I can guess what my next task will be, but I haven’t quite figured out how to do it yet.  (No hints.  I have an idea I want to try first.)

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

im now at the part with impersonating the highwayman to rob back the will and instead getting kidnapped and recruited by robbers
Grin Grin Grin
it is an entertaining game for sure.

Total Posts: 101

Joined 2016-02-18

PM

Yeah, I managed to catch up this evening. I’m inside Le Havre now.

However, I made liberal use of the hints Wilco gave to Chrissie last week and a walkthrough. I guess I was losing patience with the game, with all the repeated lines while crossing northern France. And some puzzles were bordering on the ridiculous for me. Did I miss a hint somewhere, or how was I to know that a horse linament bath is considered good against the common cold? I think if a modern day adventure would send you to Rouen to soak an altar cloth (that you stole in St. Quentin) in soup to fix a boat in Le Havre it would be derided by every reviewer.

On the other hand, there were some fun scenes, like the one with the brigands and gypsy woman. I still really like most of the backgrounds. I’m undecided if I find the constant re-use of art assets amusing or annoying. The repeating conversations every time you enter or leave some locations are not a good idea… Some inconsistencies in the user interface are a slight annoyance as well - sometimes left-clicking on an exit gets you to the next screen, but sometimes you can only leave when selecting Exit after right-clicking.

It’s a shame the limited budget shines through in what is otherwise an ambitious game. It’s really highly non-linear, there are multiple solutions in some cases, and to make that work without any dead-ends shows that the designers/programmers were knowing what they were doing. (Edit: which is almost exactly what Giom was saying a few posts ago)

And I’m still curious to find out how the story continues, so on to the next part!

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

I have reached le havre as well. It really is a very neat adventure game.. a re-master could help this game in many ways. If i have to spend any more time in the paris market it will be too soon. The constant repeating vendors drove me crazy.
Alsoo….. so it took me forever to realize this about the inventory…. i had no idea you could click to the right and left of the inventory to make it normally shift… there were no arrows or anything to suggest you could do this… so i would pick something up.. a new item would appear under it.. and then id give an item to henri one at a time to sift through the inventory and it was awwwwwful. Now that iv realized i can shift the inventory left and right, im having a considerably better time.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

The design for the inventory is definetly an odd choice. I wonder if no-one on the design team really thought that adding some left/right arrows or some other markers on it would be a decent idea for improving the UI.

Joined 2016-02-18

PM

tomimt - 23 March 2016 04:47 PM

The design for the inventory is definetly an odd choice. I wonder if no-one on the design team really thought that adding some left/right arrows or some other markers on it would be a decent idea for improving the UI.

I checked the manual and how to scroll in your inventory is not mentioned in the section How To Keep Track Of Your Loot. Apparently this was something that the developers did not consider. I think I discovered accidentally how to see more inventory objects early on. Zane, your persistence in continuing with the game despite your initial cumbersome inventory management is admirable…

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Everyone in Le Havre?! Good. Let’s show those English pigs! From now on, the playthrough is in a “community challenge” mode! Grin You have exactly 8 days to beat the game, so if you haven’t started the game yet, here’s a regular challenge for you. Smile Stay tuned for hints for part 3 and 4, and more quotes… (bring up yours, too!) Let’s go!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Karlok - 20 March 2016 08:48 AM

Non-sequitur: Diego, what are you going to wear
next X-mas? A crown? Tongue

LOL! You know, I realized - why should I change avatar TWO times (Xmas one, and then back to the original), when I can only have one avatar all the time. Grin

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Need oars. Anyone got an oar? Henri, find me an oar. My kingdom for an oar!

Gah! If I can use a sticky piece of cloth to plug up the boat surely I can use a piece of wood from the barricades as an oar?

Joined 2016-02-18

PM

Oscar - 25 March 2016 01:06 AM

Gah! If I can use a sticky piece of cloth to plug up the boat surely I can use a piece of wood from the barricades as an oar?

Nah, that would make sense…

Probably you’ve got the items you need to create one already in your inventory, for a long time.

And in case you haven’t, did you pick up everything in front of the Notre Dame?

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

kabouter - 25 March 2016 03:02 AM
Oscar - 25 March 2016 01:06 AM

Nah, that would make sense…

Probably you’ve got the items you need to create one already in your inventory, for a long time.

And in case you haven’t, did you pick up everything in front of the Notre Dame?

I’m sure I already tried that. You mean the burn the witch sign? Well, guess it can’t hurt to try again.

edit: I actually managed to do the key puzzle by trial and error. And I still don’t understand how it makes any sense whatsoever.  Confused

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top