• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

apignarb

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Unavowed by Wadjet Eye Games

Total Posts: 1642

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Beat the game, second half def better than the 1st. But overall i liked it more than loved 7.5/10 for me.

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2007-03-25

PM

Apologies if this was mentioned earlier (didn’t see anything), but are there any direct connections between this and Blackwell? Besides the NYC setting and at least one character who is a bestower of eternity?

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Randwulf83 - 09 August 2018 10:50 PM

Apologies if this was mentioned earlier (didn’t see anything), but are there any direct connections between this and Blackwell? Besides the NYC setting and at least one character who is a bestower of eternity?

A couple of easter eggs but not really

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Randwulf83 - 09 August 2018 10:50 PM

There’s actually two fairly significant crossover characters. One of them, a character from Epiphany, has an extensive team-up sequence. There’s also some mild mentioning of Rosangela early on in the game.

Total Posts: 27

Joined 2013-01-06

PM

Unavowed on 21:9 monitor Smile

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Just completed the game and wow. So glad to see they stuck the landing. A truly satisfying ending is hard to come by even for great games.

One of the most immersive adventure games I’ve ever played. Wadjet Eye managed to really capture the look, feel & essence of New York City in a way they never have before.

Is it Dave’s best? It’s definitely hard to compete with the emotional attachment you build up for characters throughout an entire series. Epiphany may have that edge. But the fact that It could even be debated is a win for Unavowed. I’m gonna have to let it sit with me.

Suffice it to say: I loved it. Loved the setting, loved the characters, loved exploring through the game’s world & solving it’s mysteries. Whereas the Blackwell games could feel like a collection of short stories, Unavowed feels like a novel. A damned good one too.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

The Aggies are going to be interesting for this year. I am hoping for an IOS release. We’ll see what happens.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 262

Joined 2014-12-25

PM

I’m getting close to the end.
What a great twist. I didn’t see that coming at all.

Did anybody else wonder how Rosangela and Joey would have solved Logan’s problem? I love Logan and KayKay, but I miss the old team, too.

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2016-12-18

PM

Agree with the sentiments shared by a few people that the mute player makes me lose all interest in the game, and the dialogue is relly dull and cheesy. I’m not a fan at all of Blackwell either. Technobabylon, Shardlight, and Resonance are really the only good games Wadjet Eye has put out.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

mjoe - 10 August 2018 08:11 PM

Agree with the sentiments shared by a few people that the mute player makes me lose all interest in the game, and the dialogue is relly dull and cheesy. I’m not a fan at all of Blackwell either. Technobabylon, Shardlight, and Resonance are really the only good games Wadjet Eye has put out.

from what I can tell from most player reviews, this game is split down the middle of those that love it or hate it. Im truly in the middle, the first half sucks pretty bad, and the 2nd half is a lot lot better. that is why my score keeps going from a 7 to an 8. Plus there are design choices that I simply dont like and I dont think work

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I haven’t managed to get into it yet but I’ve been tired the couple of times that I’ve tried so I can’t put that down to the game… yet. Tongue

Just a note that Unavowed is up for votes for the community playthrough this time around in case anyone’s interested in voting/playing:
https://adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/2683/P105

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I have just started the game and so far, it’s their best yet. Looking forward to finishing it. The game is in the running for a CPT, David, we’d love to have you join.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

So, I finished the game.

The story is strong. I liked the world and would definitely enjoy spending more time with the Unavowed in a sequel. The Twist™ is unexpected (but fairly clued in advance), but there’s a lot more to the story than it and I think it’ll stay enjoyable even if you know what’s going on.

The characters are a bit of a mixed bag. The achievements strongly encourage you to play with the same party for each case, so I did everything with Logan and Eli. I thought the latter was interesting and well-developed. The former, however, was a bit one-note. Yeah, we get it, you’re a recovering alcoholic; no need to make every single thing you say about that. On the other hand, Kaykay’s awesome (and a nice callback for the Blackwell fans). I look forward to getting to know Vicky and Mandana better in future playthroughs.

The biggest disappointment was the gameplay. This felt like Daughter of Serpents all over again. (Does anyone remember that old game?) The idea of having alternate puzzles and solutions depending on your character’s background and party members seems intriguing, and I’m sure that coming up with solutions for all 15 different possible combinations must have been a lot of work, but far too often the puzzles are reduced to glorified skill checks: “Here’s a ghost! Did you bring the Bestower along? If so, Puzzle Solved! You can have him talk to the ghost and get the info you need! And if you didn’t, well, there’s an equally obvious way to acquire the info with another party member, right on the next screen!”.

It’s telling that what is by far the best puzzle sequence in the game (the jailbreak in Chinatown) corresponds to the moment when the game can’t use your background and party members. Suddenly, the game is testing the player‘s abilities, rather than the characters’, and is better for it.

(As someone who loves both adventures and RPGs, and pretty much hates all other genres, this notion of getting alternate puzzles and solutions based on how you built your character and/or team is something that intrigues me, even though I’m not convinced it can actually work. I want to think about it some more, and hopefully I’ll find the energy to write a proper post about it.)

Anyway, I’d say Unavowed is good, but the gameplay is too slight for it to reach greatness. YMMV depending on how much you care about puzzles, obviously.

And now I’m conflicted: part of me wants to replay it immediately to try the alternate puzzles and experiment with different choices; but another part of me is afraid that that’ll just reveal that the differences are marginal—and make me think less of the game in the end.

3.5/5

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Kurufinwe - 12 August 2018 10:50 AM

part of me wants to replay it immediately to try the alternate puzzles and experiment with different choices; but another part of me is afraid that that’ll just reveal that the differences are marginal—and make me think less of the game in the end.

3.5/5

havent played it yet but i feel your judgment with this game needed yet either another replay or just to give it some time in your head until it is really cooked, i am saying this upon reading everything that had been said about it, maybe i will establish my own (different) opinion too. lets see.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Kurufinwe - 12 August 2018 10:50 AM

So, I finished the game.

The story is strong. I liked the world and would definitely enjoy spending more time with the Unavowed in a sequel. The Twist™ is unexpected (but fairly clued in advance), but there’s a lot more to the story than it and I think it’ll stay enjoyable even if you know what’s going on.

The characters are a bit of a mixed bag. The achievements strongly encourage you to play with the same party for each case, so I did everything with Logan and Eli. I thought the latter was interesting and well-developed. The former, however, was a bit one-note. Yeah, we get it, you’re a recovering alcoholic; no need to make every single thing you say about that. On the other hand, Kaykay’s awesome (and a nice callback for the Blackwell fans). I look forward to getting to know Vicky and Mandana better in future playthroughs.

The biggest disappointment was the gameplay. This felt like Daughter of Serpents all over again. (Does anyone remember that old game?) The idea of having alternate puzzles and solutions depending on your character’s background and party members seems intriguing, and I’m sure that coming up with solutions for all 15 different possible combinations must have been a lot of work, but far too often the puzzles are reduced to glorified skill checks: “Here’s a ghost! Did you bring the Bestower along? If so, Puzzle Solved! You can have him talk to the ghost and get the info you need! And if you didn’t, well, there’s an equally obvious way to acquire the info with another party member, right on the next screen!”.

It’s telling that what is by far the best puzzle sequence in the game (the jailbreak in Chinatown) corresponds to the moment when the game can’t use your background and party members. Suddenly, the game is testing the player‘s abilities, rather than the characters’, and is better for it.

(As someone who loves both adventures and RPGs, and pretty much hates all other genres, this notion of getting alternate puzzles and solutions based on how you built your character and/or team is something that intrigues me, even though I’m not convinced it can actually work. I want to think about it some more, and hopefully I’ll find the energy to write a proper post about it.)

Anyway, I’d say Unavowed is good, but the gameplay is too slight for it to reach greatness. YMMV depending on how much you care about puzzles, obviously.

And now I’m conflicted: part of me wants to replay it immediately to try the alternate puzzles and experiment with different choices; but another part of me is afraid that that’ll just reveal that the differences are marginal—and make me think less of the game in the end.

3.5/5

I see things 90 percent the same way you do. To be honest I have played different chapters after I beat them with different party members and I see very little difference. to me logan and vicky are one note cliches. logan is a recovering alcoholic and vicky is the angry new york cop and that is it. Eli is easily the most fleshed out character by far and its obvious that he is dave’s favorite character; his avatar is even the desktop icon to start the game. I also agree with you the puzzles are not near as good as they could be, because of all the options. I rather the game just select your partners for you so the puzzles could have been better. The Silent main character still didnt work for me after the reveal and I still say the 2nd half is much better than the first half.

I fall between 7-8 outta 10 and I do think it is a good adventure game, but there is a great one in there screaming to get out.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top