• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The secret world

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

There’s a discount currently for The Secret World currently on Steam.

I’ve always been curious about this game. How is it for someone who’s never played MMORPG and that likes to play adventure games?
I do love The Longest Journey and Dreamfall because of the story so I’m expecting the story to be good.
I like role playing games occasionally as long as there’s not too much combat…

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

There is a lot of combat, mostly typical MMO combat but with an interesting story and has some good investigation bits.
Combat is not hard but the game still needs a lot of hours of commitment to progress like all MMOs.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I played it at release, and I was not really a big fan Frown

Yes it has a lot of story, and there is investigation missions which are more or less like puzzles in AG. But I was never a big fan of the classless and levelless system, and I did actually think that the combat was too hard in many cases.

The main reason that I stopped halfway through was however that it suffered from the same problem as many other MMO’s. If you can’t find a good group to play with, then you are basically screwed. A game like Guildwars 2 handled this much much better, because they threw away normal group play altogether, and instead added a so called “dynamic event system” which actually worked perfectly.

There was a lot of good ideas in The Secret World, but as far as I’m concerned then they dropped the ball in the execution of those ideas.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Thanks, that’s what I was worried about. The story and investigation missions looked like they’d be perfect for an adventuring game but if I need to fight and find a group to play with it’s going to be difficult… I don’t have set times to play games so I think it might be hard to play an MMORPG for my case…

I think I’ll still try the non-massive edition because 10 euros is not that much Smile

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Choose the Dragon faction Smile

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2006-05-16

PM

Hi all,

I have to disagree, I have played TSW quite extensively because of the story and setting, and I don’t regret the hours I have invested. I come from a AG background and was interested in the storyline, and its clear connections with TLJ, Dreamfall, etc. The main story is not too hard to do solo, and it gets much easier if you do it duo—that requires one partner, not a whole group. What is _really_ important, as I found out, is to follow a tested “build”, otherwise you’ll be spending your points all over that confusing wheel and you’ll end up “grinding” and repeating missions, which I hate. Check http://www.tswdb.com/builds/ for example, specially the “solo” builds.

Now, you’ll need a solo for the special dungeons, etc of course. But those are not so interesting, story-wise, imho.

Again, I really recommend this game, some of the missions are great from a traditional AG perspective (puzzle-solving and so on).

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

@Periglo

Sure about 80-90% could be soloed, but there were still some main story quest that were impossible to complete solo, and others that were extremely difficult but doable. Now as I said, I played it on release which was several years ago (3 years?), and they have probably tweaked and made everything easier in the meantime, so it might no be as big an issues now as I found it to be then.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 288

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

This MMO has always interested me as well, enough to purchase an online copy of the base game from Amazon.  I have not installed it (yet), but plan on doing so within a few weeks.  I’ve heard it can be quite confusing to get started and with a steep learning curve.  I’m sure there are valuable websites out there with FAQs and advice for the best ways to build up a character.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top