• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

apignarbchrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Indie games for adventurous souls

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

As it’s the last day of Humble Indie Bundle 9, I’m inspired to start a thread about any indie games that forum members want to recommend that are not themselves adventure games (or at least not traditional ones), but might appeal to people who like adventure games.

Rather than just lists, I propose a format somewhat like this, but you may adapt however you see fit:

Mark of the Ninja
Genre: Stealth platformer
Might Appeal to Those Who: Want a thoughtful, puzzle-like stealth game with alternate ways to solve problems. The platforming controls are slow and sticky, so while the game is direct control like all platformers, it’s more about patience and good timing than it is about dexterity.
Not For Those Who: Find cartoon blood and gore distasteful or dislike direct control interfaces.
Where to Get It: Humble Indie Bundle 9 (next 24 hours), which comes with many other great games, including Limbo, Bastion, FTL, Fez, Brutal Legend, and more. Limbo was formerly cited by AG in a Puzzling (Mis)adventures column. If you miss the Humble Bundle, you can still get Mark of the Ninja on Steam. Official game website is here.

Gravity Bone/Thirty Flights of Loving
Genre: First-person interactive short story
Might Appeal to Those Who: Like 60s spy films, offbeat humor, and storytelling that always leaves control in the hands of the player. As these games let you piece together what’s going on, it’s best to go in without knowing too much. These games are incredible and unique for the interactive story crowd: I can’t think of any other games that use cinematic cutting in interactive gameplay quite like this.
Not For Those Who: Have difficulty maneuvering in first-person with WASD-style keyboard controls and mouse-look. Gravity Bone involves some avoiding of pistons and jumping on flagpoles that will be frustrating if you aren’t adept in first-person movement. The sequel, Thirty Flights of Loving, eliminated such challenges but still navigates in first-person. Also, both games are really short (less than 30 minutes) but memorable.
Where to Get It: Gravity Bone is a FREE download. If you like it, the sequel Thirty Flights of Loving can be bought from the developer’s website.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2013-09-23

PM

Zombies: Run of Kill is a free shooting game for all adventurous souls. If you like games and series with zombies, you will certainly find this game interesting!

This game is now with a complete new improved interface, more animations and sound effects.
All the bugs that caused game crush are fixed so you can enjoy playing for hours and hours. There is also a possibility to continue a game and remove ads.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/zombies-run-or-kill-zombie/id618105373?mt=8

Sorry I didn’t stick to the rules you have written, but I hope you will like the game.

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Peaksel, this post and your other thread are such sneaky-yet-totally-transparent attempts at marketing that it seems far more offputting than intriguing.

Congrats on your games, but you don’t need to write (as you did in the other thread) things like “Does anyone play this game? I know it is for kids, but I kind of like it.” Considering your username is Peaksel and the developer is listed as Peaksel, it’s not like it’s hard for people to tell you’re the developer, so why mislead about it?

At least you were more upfront this time. Still, a recommendations thread like this one doesn’t seem like it’s necessarily the right place to hawk your own wares.

Look, I get that getting attention as an indie developer is super hard. But there are three suggestions I’d make for you.

1) Be direct and honest. A better approach would be start your own thread, use a clear subject header, say you’ve developed the game, tell us what it’s about, and why we should be interested in it.
2) Focus on your core audience. It’s hard to make a game for everyone, and even harder to sell a game to everyone. Instead, smart developers know who their core audience is. I get that this is the General Gaming forum, and there are probably several parents here, people with iPhones, etc. But I’m not sure why you think your efforts to sell a zombie mathematics or zombie shooting iOS game are best spent here on a site for adventure gamers, rather than on one of the various iOS game forums around the internet. That makes it feel like you’re just spamming as many forums as possible.
3) Contribute to building a community. Whether that means developing a following for your own games by starting a blog and/or forum for your fans, or whether it means actually participating in some of the forums you advertise in rather than just spamming with two ad posts like you’ve done here at AG, ultimately people will be more interested in what you do if they feel they know and like you as a person. Of course, you have to make a game that people want to play, but there’s more to selling yourself than just making a good game, and contributing to a community is part of that.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2013-09-23

PM

Sorry for misunderstanding, it was not my intention to make a free advertising, but to read the comments about the game and see the people’s opinion.
Have a nice day Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top