• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrelwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Thursday 31 May 2012

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I’ve already said many times how much I miss Kheops, so I’m not going to say it again. But really, I do.

Nostradamus might not be their most recognizable game, but I enjoyed it — especially the unexpected CSI-Renaissance elements.

Total Posts: 133

Joined 2006-02-14

PM

Ooh, it seems a lot more interesting than I thought.

I’ve played nearly all the Kheops games besides this one and Voyage.

I like them, really liked the Da Vinci game (can’t remember what it was called), but I struggle quite a bit with the practical puzzles, like where you make paint, create gun powder, build a bread oven etc, since I’m not very practical and don’t know much about stuff like that..

I play story-heavy games, watch animation, anime, B-movies, disaster movies, sci-fi movies and crime shows and try to write about it all on my blog: Snark, pedantry and random geekery

Total Posts: 61

Joined 2005-11-23

PM

Nostradamus is a great game!

Kurufinwe: I miss them too! What’s happened? Their website is live but only has info about their casual series. The last game I played from them was Return to Mysterious Island 2, some three years ago or something.

Frown

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

It seems like it’s the usual story: a very small company, completely dependent on publishers for both funding and PR, which got in trouble when its publishers (TAC, Microids…) stopped making adventures after troubles of their own.

The Fall Trilogy was self-published. The fact that it took them a year to make each episode, and that each looked cheaper than the previous one, shows that they weren’t really able to make things work on their own.

Total Posts: 61

Joined 2005-11-23

PM

That’s truly unfortunate. I think the quality of their games was always consistently high. Games like Cleopatra, Nostradamus and Dracula 3 showed a top-level of research and design, something I don’t find easily elsewhere. These games were modest but extremely solid.

Thanks for your detailed answer.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I tried Nostradamus out a while back and it seemed decent. Forgot it though but I just bought it from the BigFish sale. Should really go for those Kheops games at some point, Dracula 3 was great.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2003-11-23

PM

Sigh. Kheops are/were awesome. Seeing as they always seemed to keep the development of their games secret until they were almost done, I am unreasonably clinging to hope we haven’t seen the last from them. Especially as I think they were just starting to take their formula in even more exciting directions with Dracula 3, which added the research and plotting worthy of Gabriel Knight (and I don’t use that comparison lightly) to an already satisfying gameplay awesomeness.

Panthera - 31 May 2012 06:18 PM

I struggle quite a bit with the practical puzzles, like where you make paint, create gun powder, build a bread oven etc, since I’m not very practical and don’t know much about stuff like that..

Change your mindset then: think you are playing their games to learn this stuff! Smile

This space intentionally left blank.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top