• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Paradise Killer

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

There seems to be a lot of positive buzz about this game.

Gamespot and others have given it 9/10

Open world detective game where you are free to accuse whoever based on whatever evidence you have found.

I was put off by the anime setting, but I might give this a shot to see if it lives up to Gamespots claim of it being “an exemplary adventure game that nails detective work in a way few games do.”

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

That character design - just why?

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I’ve played it for a couple of hours, and so far I’m enjoying it a lot. The world is super weird (in a good way, I think, though YMMV), and the mystery is really intriguing. At this point, there are a lot a different clues to investigate, and it feels like I’ve barely scratched the surface. We’ll see if the game manages to stick the landing.

The open-world nature of the game and the seemingly-endless supply of collectibles make it very easy to get distracted and explore at random, and then lose track of what you’re trying to achieve. And I’m torn between the part of me who just wants to explore everywhere and the part that’s afraid of finding a clue before I’m “supposed to” and ruin the story-telling in the process. This may get frustrating at some point. Once again, we’ll see if the game manages to get the execution right.

Still, I’m having fun at the moment and looking forward to playing more.

Total Posts: 119

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Having spent about 15 hours on it and beaten it, it’s pretty good in my view.  The style of the game is tremendous, exploring Paradise is quite fun, the music is good, and the story is intriguing throughout.  My biggest issue with the game is that the currency system applying to fast travel everytime is a bit annoying.  The game has a lot of its currency(Blood Crystals) to find throughout the vast sandbox, but it also has a lot of stuff you can spend that currency on, some of which are upgrades that are vital to getting a better grip on the story.  Most of the puzzles in this game are environmental in nature, so getting upgrades to allow you to explore more is important.  So you can inadvertently hurt yourself by spending the currency on the convenience of fast travel.  I understand the game wants you to explore, but it should probably patch out that fast travel cost in my view.  It’s a very good experience though.

Total Posts: 141

Joined 2019-05-03

PM

Started playing this a bit and it’s just bizarre. Not just the setting, but the engine as well - it plays a bit like a console game from the 2000s or something, but at the same time looks modern enough. But then it can’t visually really compete with anything semi-decently done, except for the fantastic sprites; except that you meet them in a 3D landscape ...

It’s all just so weird. Looking forward to figuring out what’s going on so that’s a plus, but I feel better environmental design and movement could have added even more to it (some of the surreal stuff but visually done like Control, oh my, that’d have been amazing ... ).

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2006-12-29

PM

Finished this game myself yesterday and loved it. The characters are over-the-top in their immediate appearance ways but their motivations and recent behavior are relatable and well-written when you get deeper in. A compelling and complex mystery and a great story about corrupt elites and how humans with power mess things up (even if it’s debatable if most characters can be called human, they certainly feel like it).

Pyoro-2 - 24 September 2020 04:59 PM

Started playing this a bit and it’s just bizarre. Not just the setting, but the engine as well - it plays a bit like a console game from the 2000s or something, but at the same time looks modern enough. But then it can’t visually really compete with anything semi-decently done, except for the fantastic sprites; except that you meet them in a 3D landscape ...

The combination of sprites and 3d environments reminded me of the Danganronpa games, and probably helped push me to give the game a shot actually. And the engine is the Unreal engine which is quite good; the game just has a bit too many crude textures as well as a control scheme that takes some time to get used to.

HitBattousai - 08 September 2020 02:22 PM

My biggest issue with the game is that the currency system applying to fast travel everytime is a bit annoying.  The game has a lot of its currency(Blood Crystals) to find throughout the vast sandbox, but it also has a lot of stuff you can spend that currency on, some of which are upgrades that are vital to getting a better grip on the story.  Most of the puzzles in this game are environmental in nature, so getting upgrades to allow you to explore more is important.  So you can inadvertently hurt yourself by spending the currency on the convenience of fast travel.  I understand the game wants you to explore, but it should probably patch out that fast travel cost in my view.

This is certainly a fair warning for new players: if you spend blood crystals too casually you may come to regret it, since some of the unlocks are necessary to get the full story. Though going in knowing this and being frugal I had about 70 left over when going past the “point of no return”, while you can get both upgrades and some other important stuff for half that.

The golden age of mathematics - that was not the age of Euclid, it is ours. -Cassius Jackson Keyser

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top