• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

DaleLady KestrelrtrooneySpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Popular games that were NOT good discussion

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

tomimt - 25 August 2020 03:29 AM

The Blackwell games, which I’ve always found only passable at best. Same with the Unavowed. They are competently made, but all of them just lack that something special-element that would make them more than they are. As they are now, I’d call ‘em games you can play once and forget about.

Totally! and tho they are both totally different but true they (miss or) hold some same factor or let us say a sense that is mellow, with one tone from starting to the end.

sometimes you play a game that starts slow, small location..etc, then it picks up, or after all, some parts are more memorable than the others, or a chapter that was spot on, that gave the adventure a kick and held the whole experience up to it, but Unavowed and Blackwell neither had this Xfactor, what you get from the first half an hour of playing, -which is solid- remains on til the end.

Total Posts: 141

Joined 2019-05-03

PM

The big draw of Blackwell to me was basically half in my head; what’s there is perfectly good and sometimes great, but mostly while playing I was kinda thinking “okay, now if somebody took this idea, with a larger budget, and produced one big consistent game out of it, that doesn’t leave half the narrative strands dangling, that’d allow more actual investigating of cases, that was a bit better about recurring characters, that got rid of the end, that etcetc… that’d be amazing”. So I’m sorta playing this game while imagining a different game while playing it, if that makes any sense. And it probably wouldn’t even work out like that, but it’s good for getting that imagination going, somehow Wink

While other games that seem more “polished” like Shardlight just leave me “alright, I’ve played this now, now I’m done with it”. And it’s good and all but doesn’t really go beyond that, so despite not being any worse they somehow feel less exciting to me.

Anyway; for the topic, I find with most of the classic if I replay them these days I’m a bit more reserved about them. Not in the “I hate this now” sense, but more in a “maybe with hindsight this is not a 9/10 but more like a 7/10”.

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

tomimt - 25 August 2020 03:29 AM

Saying that Myst sucks isn’t really that controversial.

I’ve noticed that there is a lot of love towards Wadjet Eye’s The Blackwell games, which I’ve always found only passable at best. Same with the Unavowed. They are competently made, but all of them just lack that something special-element that would make them more than they are. As they are now, I’d call ‘em games you can play once and forget about.

Love the Blackwell series! But on the other hand I’ve never understood what qualities other people saw in two other WadjetEye published games; Primordia and especially A Golden Wake. I found both to be really boring.

But more in line with the OPs original topic, I tend to replay games I enjoyed 25 years ago with a nostalgic filter and generally enjoy the replays. Things can be said about Myst, Grim Fandango, The Longest Journey and Broken Sword from a “modern” perspective, but I loved those games then and love to return to them these days.

It may be different with older “classics” that I never got around to playing when they were released. I’ve recently started playing Obsidian twice, not getting very far before losing interest. Same goes for The Neverhood, which I began playing for the first time only a few months back but can’t really bring myself to finish. Never played Toonstruck.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I played Grim Fandango on the PC years ago and loved the game except for the controls, moving around using a keyboard was a bit challenging.

Got the remastered edition on my PSVITA and found the controls to be much improved and generally this version was much more playable than the original.

I can see how people could not like the original, because of the controls, but those people should give the remastered edition a try and see if they now enjoy the game.

A popular game not in good discussion is Broken Sword 2, the original PC version got some scalding reviews although it sold very well.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Mikekelly - 25 August 2020 10:11 AM

I played Grim Fandango on the PC years ago and loved the game except for the controls, moving around using a keyboard was a bit challenging.
I can see how people could not like the original, because of the controls, but those people should give the remastered edition a try and see if they now enjoy the game.

Nothing to do with the controls - for me the story just seemed to drag on & on & on…..zzz…..
  Smile

I liked & still like BS2!

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Agreed with pretty much everyone here on Full Throttle. I loved it when I first played it but I then replayed it recently with my girlfriend and we both agreed that it was just so-so. Puzzles were not as good as other lucas art games, the story was also just not as good and it felt way too short.

For A Golden Wake, I loved the first part of it with the real estate but then I grew to hate the character and I really hated the second part which kind of ruined the game for me.

A game that was very much hyped but that I ended up hating was Resonance, a lot of people here seemed to like it but I really hated the dissonance in that one of the character you controlled was actually not who you thought he was and killed the other character. I don’t remember the story that well but I remember that I really hated that twist to the point that it ruined the entire game for me.

I also disliked Tales of Monkey Island, it had very good ratings here, won an aggie award but I never got past the first episode, it just didn’t feel like a monkey island game to me and just didn’t catch my interest. And I had been very much looking forward to it and preordered it.

I hated Myst, but that’s probably not that controversial, I do fully agree with Lucien21

For broken sword, I came to it late and I always felt it was nowhere as good as Beneath a Steel Sky which was one of my favorite game growing up. I completely agree with TimovieMan, it picks up and improves from the beginning but the beginning is very much non-sensical and I found it hard to get into the game. The other games in the series don’t strike me as being quite that bad.
As for other games listed by other people here:
- Grim Fandango, puzzles were not as great as other Lucas Art games but I loved the story and characters and for me story and characters is probably the most important part of any game
- Longest Journey, likewise, I loved the story and characters
- Blackwell, I would say that they are not necessarily amazing games, but they came out at a time when there wasn’t many good adventure games and they filled a gap. I do think that they became quite a bit better over time.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Veovis - 25 August 2020 09:39 AM

I’ve never understood what qualities other people saw in two other WadjetEye published games; Primordia and especially A Golden Wake. I found both to be really boring.

i am nit a fan of Golden Wake, but Primordia is something else, the story could ve been easily written by PKD, that only had been discovered by then; i don’t know how many Games that held this kinda original plot, which have never been shown at any other visual medium.

add to this that all game elements are well crafted, from the protagonist, characters, voice acting, well-written dialogue, old school puzzles, and the three different endings.

the only couple of things the game was quite short at, but I didn’t mind; the low-resolution graphics the lack of soundtrack variations.
but however it isn’t a masterpiece, you don’t see much love given to small budgeted games like these much.

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

To piggy back some, I agree with grim fandango, besides the night club year the game as a whole is very lackluster as a game. I love the style and voice acting though.

Yall know how I feel about unavowed, it is basically a lower budget version of a telltale game. The gameplay is very uninspiring to me, and falls completely apart on 2nd and third playthroughs. I like some wadjet eye games, but the only one I really love is technobabylon.

I disagree on full throttle, I love that game.Is the story some high art, no, but it is a very fun adventure and had the potential to build great lore in sequels. I always wanted to know more about the cavefish and the other gangs. Great voice acting, and a stellar soundtrack, I still listen to it. I love the opening to the game as well. I also thought the puzzles were well designed for 90 percent of the game, the car puzzle in the arena was dumb though, and had no clues on how to solve it. The game should have been longer though, I play it about once a yr, takes me 3 hrs or so to beat it now. Still its one of my favorites.

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

I’ll probably get in trouble for this considering there’s a playthrough going but.. Anna’s Quest. I found virtually nothing worthwhile in that game. I don’t get all the praise because these kinds of cartoony children’s tale games are a dime a dozen and they are everywhere, so why this one got singled out is beyond my understanding.

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Advie - 25 August 2020 10:47 AM
Veovis - 25 August 2020 09:39 AM

I’ve never understood what qualities other people saw in two other WadjetEye published games; Primordia and especially A Golden Wake. I found both to be really boring.

i am nit a fan of Golden Wake, but Primordia is something else, the story could ve been easily written by PKD, that only had been discovered by then; i don’t know how many Games that held this kinda original plot, which have never been shown at any other visual medium.

add to this that all game elements are well crafted, from the protagonist, characters, voice acting, well-written dialogue, old school puzzles, and the three different endings.

the only couple of things the game was quite short at, but I didn’t mind; the low-resolution graphics the lack of soundtrack variations.
but however it isn’t a masterpiece, you don’t see much love given to small budgeted games like these much.

I might have to replay Primordia one day. I indeed found the plot/setting interesting but as far as I remember I didn’t care at all for the gameplay and especially the puzzle design. Interesting that you found it to be short. I thought it was too long…

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Veovis - 25 August 2020 01:53 PM

I might have to replay Primordia one day. I indeed found the plot/setting interesting but as far as I remember I didn’t care at all for the gameplay and especially the puzzle design. Interesting that you found it to be short. I thought it was too long…

nah, sorry if that sentence wasn’t grammatically correct or anything, i mean short as in less, not good.

you should really try it, but keep in mind i am SciFi freak, thats a stepping stone for me, but then i can understand that this game was a little bit controversial on a scale rating between not-bad and very-good, and thats mostly at gaming sites reviews, but the players i have read there posts here, mostly quite liked too, maybe they say 3.5 and i say 4/5 but the controversy is only a notch between this and that.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

giom - 25 August 2020 10:37 AM

For A Golden Wake, I loved the first part of it with the real estate but then I grew to hate the character and I really hated the second part which kind of ruined the game for me.

I can’t remember too much about the game now but I’m sure that I liked the ending where the main character redeemed himself or have I remembered that wrongly? I do know that I liked the game despite negative reviews.

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Didn’t like “A Vampyre Story”. I experienced one of the rarest feelings I usually have while playing anything - total boredom, which layered on top of high production values felt even weirder. The stakes in the game weren’t high enough for me to get invested in - I really didn’t care about Mona (? I think is her name) getting out of the castle, she seem to be just fine living there, AND her voice was driving me nuts!!!

Another one I didn’t really like is “Oxenfree”. It seems the game has an almost cult-like following, but to me it was just tons and tons of teenage angst wrapped in pretty visuals and loooots of walking. There was a story there, sure, but it was lost on me due to listening to the teenagers talking for hours on end about things that are important to no one but themselves.

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2004-08-03

PM

Lucien21 - 25 August 2020 02:52 AM

Grim Fandango is the 2nd best adventure ever made. just my opinion.

ok lets get the obvious one out of the way.

Myst sucks.

it’s a glorified powerpoint presentation that only sold because people wanted CD-ROM drives. No story, pointless puzzles and can be finished in less than 3 mins if you know what to do.

This is a great post. May I quote you on this for a content video I’m making on the subject?

YouTube: Weird Gaming Adventure
IG: weird_gaming_adventure

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

3 mins is a lot of time if you know what to do, most games just take a click in these situations

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top