• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

KeybordzSpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Heroine’s Quest; an officially unofficial community play-through

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Hey so talking to a couple regulars on the forums, I thought we might give this game a shot.  All welcome.  This game is free on steam.
The game is divided into 4 chapters if I understood correctly, and I recommend that we comment in at our own pace, but I will do 1 per chapter, with others to lead or discuss as needed.

So to get us started:
1. Have you played this game before? What about a similar RPG/Adventure hybrid?
2. Which Class did you choose? And what are your primary or secondary skills?  Feel free to tell us about how you spent your points.
3. Did you read the manual before playing, and did you feel the need to?
4. Is there anything you struggled with in this game?
5. Anything you want to comment on before fully playing through CH 1?  Maybe something you are impressed by or disappointed by?
6. How familiar are you with the lore this game is inspired by?

Let’s meet back here after CH1 or just later in the week, and you can tell us things you have found, quests you have completed, and class specific events or solutions that you liked, puzzles, allusions etc.  Please feel free to pose your own questions to us.  I will have the above questions answered after my shift today.  I personally have had a really hard time with this game! 

Image Attachments

hq_herald_of_ragnarok.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I think you might want to change the title of your post to Flash Paythrough or something similar. That way it won’t be confused with the actual Casual Community Playthroughs we used to have that involved playing the better casual games as a group.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

The “official” term is Unofficial Playthrough Wink

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Not a fan of Anna’s Quest, so I’ll probably join you. Heroine’s Quest was fantastic back when I played it (some 10? years ago), I don’t remember it all that well, but hopefully it still holds. Used to play as a thief with additional magic skills and something called Animal Ken (which proved to be pretty useless), but now I want to play as a mage with more “heroic” skills.

I read general tips in order to understand what to expect from the game, but it’s nowhere near “hardcore” RPGs, of course, and there are no dead-ends or anything like that (plenty of deaths though), so I guess it’s safe to explore it on your own. As far as I remember, there are optional quests and alternative solutions to puzzles which influence your score and experience, so it’s useful to keep an eye for little things.

I should probably mention that I played the original, less polished version which was later updated to a more user-friendly format. So it wasn’t all that easy to get into the game, especially since your character starts as a simple girl in the middle of a winter forest, with no food, money or weapons. I got frozen and starved to death a number of times before I figured what needs to be done. But after that it became less frustrating, allowing you to explore the map to your own pleasure and solve puzzles in any order.

Can’t say I’m too familiar with the Scandinavian mythology, but the game does a pretty good job at introducing all those gods and legends to you. There is generally quite a lot of talking, with new topics appearing now and then. The characters also walk around and visit other people, and you might even get new responses from them after they relocate, with other characters joining the dialogue. Also some of them are very goofy, maybe even zany, but I found all of them likable and very well-written.

I will be back as soon as I actually start the game and refresh my memories.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Celebreon - 22 July 2020 11:28 AM

So to get us started:
2. Which Class did you choose? And what are your primary or secondary skills?  Feel free to tell us about how you spent your points.
5. Anything you want to comment on before fully playing through CH 1?  Maybe something you are impressed by or disappointed by?

Thanks for setting up the unofficial/flash/casual playthrough thread, I’ll be joining in and the game is installed already. I was surprised about the “free” tag as it looks (at least) very neat.

1. I have never played this game OR similar RPG/AG hybrid as far as I remember (if I’ll dig further I might come up with something). As I’m sure almost everyone have a few classics they have never played, for me (somehow) those ended up being the ones with the word “quest” in it (Quest for Glory, King’s Quest, Quest for Infamy and even Space Quest and Police Quest). I wasn’t avoiding them specifically, so I have no idea how that happened. I’ll start catching up now Smile Although, come to think about it, there was one highly reviewed and free installment in one of those series (Quest for Glory I want to say) that I have tried - I ended up walking in circles in some desert city streets and feeling utterly lost, so that was the end of that. I don’t really count that as actually playing the game.

2. In strategy games I usually always start as thief, so, I suppose, I’ll just follow the same path here.

3. No, but since this question is asked I’m now thinking if it will help significantly? I usually plunge into the games head-on and try to figure out what’s going on, but maybe this is not the way to go with this kind of games and, perhaps, was my downfall on the aforementioned free QfG game.

4. Will start today, so skipping this one for now.
5. Same as #4 Smile
6. Not much beyond basic knowledge one can find without searching too extensively. Norse mythology isn’t in the immediate sphere of my interests, but I do like learning new stuff. Naturally, I just ordered a “Norse Mythology” by Neil Gaiman to help the situation a bit.  Wink

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

Celebreon - 22 July 2020 11:28 AM

So to get us started:

It’s my first time with Heroine’s Quest. I’ve played all the QFG titles (loved them), Quest for Infamy (kinda meh) and Hero-U.

I went with fighter with most of my points in strength. I felt like something simple this time round and I like the idea of a physically strong female character.

Nope and nope. I think it was the right decision, given that the innkeeper gives me a non-optional tutorial on fighting.

I’ve only started, so no, not yet.

I like the graphics and the portraits. Voice acting too. Everything seems lined up for a great game.

Do scandinavian heavy metal albums count? If so, I’m pretty familiar   Smile

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

1. I booted this game up once to check and make sure I would like the interface and overall controls/UI, but quit before day 2 so I could finish QFG series first.  I love all the QFG games of different amounts, but that’s WHY I’m drawn to this game.  This one seems to share a lot in common with QFG III/IV, and maybe the remake of the first by AGDI.

2. I picked a mage, and I added animal Ken (I didn’t know the manual calls it a “fighter skill”?) as well as fast talk, which means I spent EVERY point from the character creation on non-mage skills.

3. No, I understood the controls and UI without help, and as pointed out, the combat tutorial is pretty succinct.
Later however, I did check the manual to see if maybe it would give me advice on how to make money (it doesn’t).

I usually ALWAYS recommend reading the manual.  In the case of QFG II, the game starts with basically a maze, and if you don’t follow the map in the manual, you will just get lost forever.  Heroine’s quest seems like it doesn’t have anything like that, and the game gives you plenty of fair warnings about what you will need to avoid game over.

4.  Oh my god this game is brutal! The first attempt, I died over and over and over, but not like in Sierra way where i did something, and got a goofy death.  I mostly froze to death or starved to death.  I knew what I needed to overcome those, but the problems is I already spent all my coins!  For example, I killed a varg or wolf or whatever, and I Was able to make the pelt into something to protect me from cold.  But I’ve been attacked by like 100 wolves, and now I’m carrying a dozen wolf pelts, and maybe I can sell them or something, but maybe not.  IDK.

5. I think this game is beautiful, the soundtrack is catchy, and the portraits are really good!  For some reason, I find myself wishing this was text parser instead of point and click.  The only thing I think this game is missing is the narrator from QFG IV, that would make this game perfect ^_^

6.  This ties back into the question about the manual because the books in the Adventurer’s guild has a lot of lore info, and a lot of game-help info.  When I later went to read the manual because I couldn’t figure out how to make money, I found that most of the manual has just been copied to these books in the game.

I don’t really know anything about this mythology.  Odin is in a few Final Fantasy games, and I saw the movie Thor Ragnarok once, but I was mostly just there for Mark Ruffalo.  Honestly I think QFG takes too much liberty with the lore that inspires it sometimes, but Heroine’s Quest seems to enjoy teaching you little bits of lore along the way instead of just being references like in a Sierra game.
I recognize some words from games like Valkyrie Profile introduced me to the concept of “Einherjar” etc.

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

I’ve finished Ch.1 and even did a bit of Ch.2 but the game seems so extensive that I took a break for a second.

I was also having a hard time with the game in the beginning, maybe because I died around 1564 times before I figured what I needed to do (still no manual for me at this point, although I did google how to train one particular skill). Since I’m not well-versed in how these AG/RPG hybrids usually work - Heroine’s Quest seemed unnecessary brutal in the beginning - you have to contend with cold, lack of food and pretty much any enemy was killing you outright. By the end of day 2 or 3 I didn’t think I’d continue at all, but once the food is more or less figured out and some stats are trained - it became a whole different ballgame!

I liked exploring the map and trying to complete mini-quests while at it. The visuals are, indeed, very neat and there are tons of references from games to literature to film. Shout out to an Alice in Wonderland ref - I’m a fan of the book, so that was cool. Although, I’m not sure how it compares to other classes, but playing as thief seems tricky. It feels like there are always solutions I see that I could have reached by using magic or brute forth, but none of them are really available to me. I wonder if I can cross-train my hero, but so far I haven’t had much luck with that. I did learn a sweet fighting maneuver, however, so there’s that.

This game is definitely very heavy on the “grind”. There are plenty of “puzzles” that solely depend on how high your certain stat is. Can’t say I’m a huge fan of those since it turns figuring stuff out into simple “I need to grind it out”, but it’s generally fitting to the story here. On the other hand, there were a few cool puzzles I really enjoyed, like getting into the Thieves Lodge.

Also, I’d say the pace of the game is pretty slow. At least at first, when your hero doesn’t have much stamina or endurance, and you are forced to retreat back to safety after only several screens at the forest - it takes forever and a day to progress anywhere… Not to mention most of the quests will take you over the same forest (walking speed if you don’t want to run out of stamina) multiple times over and over again - all this contributes to a general “slow” feeling.

With that being said, I’m enjoying the game so far. The voice acting is done well, and the game’s world seems huge - still can’t believe this is a freebie. Looking forward to continuing the journey.

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

So Chapter 2 just popped up seemingly at random?

I mean I figured out where to look for the kidnap victim, but the transition seemed really strange.

Some quests I’ve completed or made progress on include:
I inquired about a letter courier job and completed it, but now I’m looking for something more to give to the original sender.
I found a very “sword in the stone” type screen, but no clue how I can get the sword.

I returned to find my pack, and found it missing!  I suspect the troll that assailed me might have my pack.  I find the cave, and I suspect I know how I can beat him, but the inventory item I needed was stolen.  And I can’t find the thief!

I heard tales of the Haugbui and read up about him.  He had been spotted nearby, and now I know how to defeat him, but I think the inventory item I need was stolen by the same thief!

Similarly, some herbs that I need to retrieve, I’ve found them, but can’t retrieve them without first getting my stuff back from thief!

I challenged the wizard to a riddles contest, which reminds me a lot of the insult sword fighting, but it makes me wish you had a text parser, so you could at least guess the answers.

I bought the spells: Flame, Shadow, bless, sixth sense,  in addition to force bolt.

In addition to stealing clothes to keep warm, I also used my spells to keep warm, and made my own clothing.  I’m interested in buying a scarf but it’s expensive!

I met the norns.

I journeyed to Munargavir, and even found a gemstone eventually!

I came across different alchemical ingredients throughout, but I struggle to ever figure out how to get them.  I found roots for eating, magical flowers that I can’t touch without dying, and quest item for the job board.

I like that the map points out the most important things, but it feels kind of weird because I usually just list all jobs or quests on paper, so I don’t really focus on any more than others.  Honestly I don’t use the in-game notes at all.

Like was mentioned before, the start is pretty brutal.  I was freezing to death without enough stamina and all the options for keeping warm were expensive.  Earning more money in this game is NOT easy.  While I did eventually learn a way to sell excess pelts, the store only was willing to buy like 3!  The bandits sometimes carry loot, but it’s almost never money, and I can’t seem to really sell apples, meat etc.

So after I got my bearings, and died a ton, now I know that the run option is NOT for exploring, the fire spell can help me prevent freezing to death, some animals are good for food or pelts, but others seem to be good for nothing?  And others seem to murder your face off.

I don’t even remember if I got paid for the courier job.  And the time I sold a gemstone for cash, I only got 20 Silver!  Oh my gosh, It’s so hard for me to afford spells or inventory items, forget rations or apples, potions.

I rescued one character.
Very good.
Then I got robbed.
Argh.
And then I went to rescue someone else, but I ... need to travel further?!
And then Chapter II started, but I don’t know if the game advanced without me succeeding, or if I did succeed, but it just booted up CH2 in a weird place.
I traveled most of this map, but I just haven’t been very good about completing things on the important screens.

BTW what do you guys think foxes eat?
Okay next I just wanted to say some things I enjoy.
There’s a gag right at the beginning when you inspect the closet in the adventurer’s guild, and it got a chuckle out of me.

I found some cool references, including finding Cedric from KQ5,
I found a screen for a game that never was made called “hero 6”  (that was weird)
There’s lots of direct references to QFG series.

As mentioned previously, the context sensitive dialogue is interesting, with characters jumping in and out of conversations depending on who is nearby hearing the chat.
Thrivaldi and Aurvandel are kinda goofy and fun, but kind of just annoying.  Especially Aurvandel.  And being a mage, I have to visit him some what often, and he speaks so redundantly, repeating the same thing he’s just said!

At first I wished I could date Snorri, and then I tried to deliver an item to him as part of a quest, and now I wish I could KILL HIM!  Hate that Snorri!

I’m having fun too, but I feel like I’m kind of just wandering lost.  I’m not sure if I’m doing the right things or what.  I’m gonna cross off some of the easy things on my to-do list, explore the rest of the map, and try to find a way to enter the elf-world.  I really need to catch this thief though!  I even think I know who it is, but I just don’t know where they are!  (well I have a good guess the rock next to the stocks right? but I don’t know how to get in!

Image Attachments

heroine_quest_fly_by.PNG

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Lol I got stuck on Chapter 1 playing as a magician. Can’t get myself a coat or a scarf or something to get me warm because I have no money. It was much easier to play as a thief, but now I have to run back and forth to get some practice and then rest at the village. I did travel from one village to another and learn several spells, but it’s still painful to stay warm and healthy while traveling around the forest, not to mention fighting enemies. I want my thieving superpowers back))

PC means personal computer

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Doom - 27 July 2020 01:44 PM

Lol I got stuck on Chapter 1 playing as a magician. Can’t get myself a coat or a scarf or something to get me warm because I have no money. It was much easier to play as a thief, but now I have to run back and forth to get some practice and then rest at the village. I did travel from one village to another and learn several spells, but it’s still painful to stay warm and healthy while traveling around the forest, not to mention fighting enemies. I want my thieving superpowers back))

Never played as a mage, but playing as thief right now - I feel exactly the opposite way.  Grin

It seems I see magical (or strength) solutions and shortcuts everywhere. As a thief, you just have to pretty much grind it out. The only reason I was able to go further was the initial three rations that I’ve been given for being hired as a hero. I stretched them as much as I could till I finally had enough skill to either kill a varg or steal anything. As a thief you supposed to avoid combat, so you suck at it BADLY. When you finally manage to kill an animal, you learn that you don’t have what it takes to skin them (that’s for the other classes, thanks), so you leave what could be profit just laying sadly on the snow.

The stats are so low in the game at first that every advantage the thief is getting later is lost until you have stuff like stealth and thievery high enough. If you don’t - you can’t pick any lock and you get noticed stealing immediately; when you finally do manage to pick a lock - if your stealth/acrobatics aren’t high enough then “hello, creaky floors!” Busted.
I’ve been to jail COUNTLESS times.

All the other endurance/strength skills are also gained by walking/running until you’re almost dying - then going back to safety.

There are also moments when, say, you find a fishing net - just to realize your particular hero won’t be able to use it. Ever. SO SAD. Ok, here I go dying again…

Edit: doesn’t the fire spell supposed to make you warm? Maybe by burning something in the surrounding environment? I thought the city magician mentioned something like that talking about the spell I will never be able to learn, but I might be wrong.

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Okay so if you are struggling to get pelts to make something to stay warm,

Vargs are pretty easy.  So keep one finger on the C key, for dodging right, and just hold it until after the varg or bandit have attacked (both will not hit you for dodge right)
then press your attack key.  Laugh as you lightly bonk the enemy in the face then go back to holding C.

IF you do that, you should never get struck or killed by varg again.

So yea, the flame spell is given to you for free from aurvandel, and can be used to keep yourself warm, but you still need clothes so it lasts.

So for example I always carry, 1 pair of snow boots that I “found”, at least 1 varg pelt that I hunted and cured, and I haven’t yet went back to buy the scarf, but all 3 will help, and then you cast the flame aura on yourself if you start to lose stamina.  It took me a long time to figure this out because sometimes it takes some time for the “cold” icon to go away.  IDK why.

I do not know how to keep warm as a thief, I assume using the tinder box somehow, but not sure.  So there are sometimes piles of chopped wood or cutdown trees.  Also, I often try to “take” trees, and it tells me I don’t need sticks, I assume if I was another class, I would need them Those do not work?  Please keep in mind that on the inventory screen there are different cursors.  The eye will let you examine of course, the pointer cursor will let you select items to use, but the hand makes you use it immediately.

I’ll give you an example:  I can use the pointer cursor to pick up the dagger from the inventory menu and use it on an animal I just killed to get meat and pelt.
Alternatively if I use the hand cursor in the inventory screen to get the dagger, I use it on my SELF, and get a piece of blonde hair. 

Maybe blonde hair could help you start a fire somehow?

Dont forget there are edible roots south of town, once, but I’ve never seen them grow back.  Could save you if you need to have a meal.

I don’t know what the fishing net is for yet, so no spoilers!

The money situation, there is very little you can do unless
a) you find a gemstone (I’m not telling!) and then someone to sell it to.
b) most bandits don’t carry money which is ridiculous, but sometimes they do
c) Some quests result in a small payment, but rarely

I wanted to report that I found that stupid thief that stole my things!  I’ll only say that the thief was NOT hiding where I originally expected, but it felt really good to confront them. 

Originally I was ready to activate the portal, but the norns told me I can’t go to Svartalfheim with out finishing that thief quest line.
After I recovered my items, I went to harvest the mugwort, and I’m trying to get the willow bark for Liff, but I can’t figure out how, and I think I’ll need those blue flowers too (as well as flowers for lithrasir) but I don’t know how to get those thigns.

I was able to get the troll that has my pack to let go, but I need a way to get over him to grab the pack.  I don’t have that yet I think.

So I’m trying to decide, is it time for me to continue to Svartalfheim, or should I stick around and try to solve those 2 unfinished side quests.

Please understand, you guys are welcome to discuss puzzle solutions or adventuring tips.

Surely whatever way you keep warm can also be applied to the first rescue mission you go on, right?

I literally used flame aura on him, and he woke up and was fine.  Like okay, but didn’t I set him on fire?!?  I guess being set on fire is the cure to frost bite.  Now we know!

P.S. Edit, I did in fact befriend a fox (about time!  I pet a dog until I died of exhaustion once…)  but now I don’t know why I needed him.  He get’s to hang out in the inventory which is just adorable.

Oh I forgot to mention, as a Mage there is very little grinding for puzzles and sidequests as far as I can tell.  I either have the item/spell to solve it or I don’t.  For me grinding has been mostly for the benefit of being more survivable and more able to travel.

Image Attachments

going_into_svarlt.PNG

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Celebreon - 27 July 2020 10:12 PM

Vargs are pretty easy.  So keep one finger on the C key, for dodging right, and just hold it until after the varg or bandit have attacked (both will not hit you for dodge right)
then press your attack key.  Laugh as you lightly bonk the enemy in the face then go back to holding C.
So for example I always carry, 1 pair of snow boots that I “found”, at least 1 varg pelt that I hunted and cured, and I haven’t yet went back to buy the scarf, but all 3 will help, and then you cast the flame aura on yourself if you start to lose stamina.  It took me a long time to figure this out because sometimes it takes some time for the “cold” icon to go away.  IDK why.

In my case, my fighting skills as a thief were laughable in the beginning. The game tells you that you’re supposed to avoid combat and go for stealth instead, so vargs were killing me outright until I got some strength built up.

I can’t get the pelts because apparently I need Animal Ken skill, which I do not have, so no pelts for me.  I get money by all the other ways you mentioned - gems, fights (now that I’m stronger) and quests payment. I now can steal some stuff too, but it was a looong grind to get my skills up to that point, and some doors/items are still not available to me - I need to get skills higher.

I only have boots you mentioned and crazy endurance stat to keep me warm, that’s it. Once you build it up - you can go way longer.

It tells me the same about trees with sticks, the regular ones - I can climb to train up climbing stat.

I still didn’t get the flowers either, although I did get the bark. Let me know if you need a hint.

I opted out to head to the next realm with the blue flowers quest unfinished - I still can’t climb that stupid wall, even though my climbing stat is at 75 already. I’ll keep grinding, I suppose.

I do gotta say that once I got to the second world I got immediately overwhelmed - it’s huuge, so that’s where I stopped for now.

Back home I also wonder how to ward off annoying dogs that are always guarding the places I want to break into. (I also pet them all the time, but, man, do I need them to stop guarding stuff at night Smile. I hope I’ll come across some item/skill I need to handle that.

Wow on the blond hair! Didn’t even cross my mind - I’ll see if I can do that. I suppose you’re right about tinder box, although a couple of times I tried it - it kept telling me “I don’t need to burn this”, so there was no luck. I also really wanted to melt the snowman, but it didn’t let me do that either.

I’m very curious about cemetery area and if I can do something there. I did break into a crypt and desecrated a grave. Fun!, but it doesn’t let me do anything at the cemetery itself. Also curious about the swamp and the lady in the fire circle. I wonder if some areas are for certain heroes only. I think thief has the most fun getting into the Thieves Lodge - there is a puzzle you need to figure out how to solve in Regin’s house. I wonder if the fighter has its own way, and I think mage also does it differently.

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

DCast - 28 July 2020 12:50 AM
Celebreon - 27 July 2020 10:12 PM

In my case, my fighting skills as a thief were laughable in the beginning. The game tells you that you’re supposed to avoid combat and go for stealth instead, so vargs were killing me outright until I got some strength built up.

I can’t get the pelts because apparently I need Animal Ken skill, which I do not have, so no pelts for me.  I get money by all the other ways you mentioned - gems, fights (now that I’m stronger) and quests payment. I now can steal some stuff too, but it was a looong grind to get my skills up to that point, and some doors/items are still not available to me - I need to get skills higher.

I only have boots you mentioned and crazy endurance stat to keep me warm, that’s it. Once you build it up - you can go way longer.

It tells me the same about trees with sticks, the regular ones - I can climb to train up climbing stat.

I still didn’t get the flowers either, although I did get the bark. Let me know if you need a hint.

I opted out to head to the next realm with the blue flowers quest unfinished - I still can’t climb that stupid wall, even though my climbing stat is at 75 already. I’ll keep grinding, I suppose.

I do gotta say that once I got to the second world I got immediately overwhelmed - it’s huuge, so that’s where I stopped for now.

Back home I also wonder how to ward off annoying dogs that are always guarding the places I want to break into. (I also pet them all the time, but, man, do I need them to stop guarding stuff at night Smile. I hope I’ll come across some item/skill I need to handle that.

Wow on the blond hair! Didn’t even cross my mind - I’ll see if I can do that. I suppose you’re right about tinder box, although a couple of times I tried it - it kept telling me “I don’t need to burn this”, so there was no luck. I also really wanted to melt the snowman, but it didn’t let me do that either.

I’m very curious about cemetery area and if I can do something there. I did break into a crypt and desecrated a grave. Fun!, but it doesn’t let me do anything at the cemetery itself. Also curious about the swamp and the lady in the fire circle. I wonder if some areas are for certain heroes only. I think thief has the most fun getting into the Thieves Lodge - there is a puzzle you need to figure out how to solve in Regin’s house. I wonder if the fighter has its own way, and I think mage also does it differently.

Yeah Regin, that’s his name!  I had to find it because the game would not let me progress in the game until I got my items back from the thief, but that may be because I actually stole some items because an NPC left their store unlocked.

I found the way to open the tomb, and couldnt figure out what to do either, but I suspect at some point it will be related to the lore of the hagbui that’s mentioned in book case in the adventurer guild.  And later an NPC even complains about that same monster that the books explain.

As for the flowers, I know that heime will help out to cut the flowers if you ask him, but after his kidnapping, IDK if it’s possible to get them again. Picking them up directly always froze me, and using flame aura gave me an explanation as to why it didn’t work… kind of.

I truly thought animal ken is the skill you get for petting, talking to, and giving treats to animals to befriend them.  I thought as long as you had daggers anyone could get VARG PELTS.

I think the Animal Ken skill might be used in conjunction with thief skills to bribe animals with food?  I don’t know.  It mentions the Animal Ken skill in the manual as a “Fighter Skill”

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

Onto chapter 2. I’m still broke, fairly weak and freeze to death within a few minutes of being outside. You would think an aspiring heroine would have packed some warmer clothes before venturing out into the snowy wilderness.

The good thing is, I seem to be pretty good at fighting. I kill vargs with two sword slashes. Which you would expect from a Fighter. But besides that, I don’t see any advantages of the class which leaves me feeling rather shortchanged.

I have a few leads on what to do, but not really much clue on how. So mostly I’m just wandering around expecting the game to tell me when I’ve arrived somewhere important. The map is almost fully explored, although I think it will be important to explore at night too - similar to QFG.

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

Just reached Chapter 3. This is a great game. Much better than the game that won the other playthrough, anyway. It’s by far the best QFG clone I’ve played, and I’ve played most of them. It’s hard to believe they assembled a better voice cast than most commercial games, and that the game is free to play. The graphics are not -quite- QFG4 standard, but are still very good.

Svartalfheim was something I didn’t expect. I thought I would be wandering around midgard for most of the game, but this feels is a whole new dimension. Since I’m only up to around 150 points out of 500, it makes me wonder what other surprises they have in store for me.

I’m more at ease now with my choice of fighter class. Usually in QFG it’s the easier class, but there are some tough puzzles in the game when you don’t have magic or thief skills. Well, at least the fighting is easy enough.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top