• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Which actors would star in a Broken Sword movie?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Jackal - 29 July 2020 12:25 PM

I do think a lot of movies would be improved if what are traditionally thought of as “character” actors were given bigger roles that really suited them, rather than always taking a back seat to big-name actors with box office (and usually sex) appeal.

I don’t disagree with this. But we occasionally see some inspired casting choices where a virtual unknown gets to carry a film and does so brilliantly, or where the highly capable supporting actor gets a very fitting lead role.

Jackal - 29 July 2020 10:01 AM

You certainly could ask a leading man type to play an everyman, and they could probably do it. But why would you? In my experience, there’s always that sense of them playing such a role instead of really being lost in it. Probably helps sells tickets, but usually not the best results.

There are some actors that can be both. Jimmy Stewart made a career out of playing the “everyman”, and so did Dustin Hoffman, for instance…

My point is, the two don’t have to be mutually exclusive…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Yep, there are certainly exceptions, and it’s examples like these I wish would encourage less conventional casting more often rather than remaining outliers.

To be fair, this probably happens more in TV, but films do still seem to be bound to Hollywood ideals more often than not. (As perhaps evidenced by Pine and Kunis winning the George and Nico poll in Blondebeard’s video.)

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2004-08-03

PM

My biggest critique of Hollywood when it comes to an IP adaption is that the studio often alienates the existing fanbase by casting a big ticket draw at the expense of a suitable lesser.

The idea of our favorite actor playing our favorite character is akin to romancing a super model. Fun in theory but lacking connection. You may enjoy the movie but will you love it?

Lee Child and the Jack Reacher films are the best example of this. As an avid fan, I did not care for the casting of Tom Cruise. The movies were okay but I was left insulted as a fan.

YouTube: Weird Gaming Adventure
IG: weird_gaming_adventure

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Captain Blondebeard - 31 July 2020 09:21 AM

Lee Child and the Jack Reacher films are the best example of this. As an avid fan, I did not care for the casting of Tom Cruise. The movies were okay but I was left insulted as a fan.

Didn’t Tom Cruise buy the film rights just so that he could star as Reacher or am I imagining that?

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2004-08-03

PM

Jabod - 31 July 2020 09:59 AM

Didn’t Tom Cruise buy the film rights just so that he could star as Reacher or am I imagining that?

I’ve heard this before but I’ve never found a thing that substantiated the rumor. I believe it was an assumption due to the stark differences between Reacher and Cruise. Cruise being dropped from the role may be the answer to the question.
I appreciate the conversation. Ill talk books any time.

YouTube: Weird Gaming Adventure
IG: weird_gaming_adventure

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Captain Blondebeard - 31 July 2020 01:51 PM
Jabod - 31 July 2020 09:59 AM

I’ve heard this before but I’ve never found a thing that substantiated the rumor. I believe it was an assumption due to the stark differences between Reacher and Cruise. Cruise being dropped from the role may be the answer to the question.

I’ve done some research and apparently the film rights were bought by Paramount Pictures and Cruise/Wagner Productions in 2005 which is how Cruise was cast. The Wagner in Cruise/Wagner being Paula Wagner, a casting agent.

Captain Blondebeard - 31 July 2020 01:51 PM

I appreciate the conversation. Ill talk books any time.

Absolutely with you on this. It’s rare that I’ll watch a film of any book that I’ve read (which is thousands by now) and nor will I read the book of any film that I’ve watched (which might have reached a hundred by now).

Life is what it is.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top