• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Wormsie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Buying more games than you can actually play

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2012-08-18

PM

When I was younger I used to buy a new game every 6 or 7 months.Back then I would get a new game and then play it again and again until the time that I will buy a new one comes.Nowadays because I have some money of my own plus the power of the internet(gog offers,steams sales etc) I get a lot of games.At the same time my free times always gets smaller and smaller.And I end up having more games than I can play.Right now I have around 40-50 games on PC that I havent got a chance to even try them out.And there are also 20 on other consoles that face the same fate.Does this happen to anyone else or you have played every game you own?

Now Playing:Zork Nemesis,Dragon Age GOTY,DOTA 2,Alter Ego
Next In Line:Tex Murphy:Under a Killing Moon,Tex Murphy:The Pandora Directive,Tex Murphy:Overseer,Fallout 1,2&Tactics;
Recently Finished:Runaway 1&2,Barrow Hill,Legend of Grimrock
Looking Forward To:The Last Crown: Haunting of Hallowed Isle,Bioshock Infinite,Amnesia:A Machine For Pigs

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2008-04-03

PM

I keep getting games I never even wanted thanks to bundle offers and the like. Quite similar to how it was with CDs full of shareware games back in the 90s.

But other than that I seem to have a pretty satisfying ratio of games I played to games I own. I simply don’t buy that much and modern games tend to be short.

www.hardydev.com - blogging about indie and underground adventures

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

My pile of shame is way too high which is why I try and chip away at it during the lean summer months.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2009-03-01

PM

Thankfully I don’t have that problem. I’m too greedy so I HATE spending money. I never really buy a new game if I still have old ones to beat which is also good because by the time I get around to a new game, it usually went down in price.

Total Posts: 317

Joined 2008-07-14

PM

Oh God, I have that problem bad. I always get suckered in with sales, thinking to myself that it will never be this cheap again. I have more than 100 games I have not even started yet, not to mention the ones I have and then stopped. 0.0

Favorite Adventure Games-Lost Crown, Longest Journey, Dark Fall 1&2, Barrow Hill, Black Mirror, Blackwell games, Riven, Myst
Favorite Other Games-Kings Bounty, FTL
Currently Playing-Barrow Hill:The Dark Path
Looking Forward To-Last Crown/Braken Tor

Joined 2012-08-18

PM

I least I am not the only one.I just cant resist a game that is under 10$ on sale when its actual price is around 25-30 or even more.

Fantasysci5 - 26 August 2012 09:51 PM

Oh God, I have that problem bad. I always get suckered in with sales, thinking to myself that it will never be this cheap again. I have more than 100 games I have not even started yet, not to mention the ones I have and then stopped. 0.0

This is the excuse I use to justify my buying spree during the sales.

Sorry for double posting I didnt do it on purspose.Can someone delete all my posts under this one?My PC is playing with my nerves.  Angry

Next In Line:Tex Murphy:Under a Killing Moon,Tex Murphy:The Pandora Directive,Tex Murphy:Overseer,Fallout 1,2&Tactics;
Looking Forward To:The Last Crown: Haunting of Hallowed Isle,Bioshock Infinite,Amnesia:A Machine For Pigs

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I too am a sucker for good sales, especially on Steam. I have at least 50 unplayed games there.

Joined 2012-08-18

PM

Another thing that adds to this problem is that I have the collector syndrome.I like to have every game from a series I like.

For example on September I got Fallout 3 GOTY which I liked mostly because of the gameplay and the atmosphere plus the fact that I am a sucker for post-apocalyptic games.And then winter sales comes along.I bought Fallout 1,2,Tactics&New; Vegas GOTY for under 25E.

I rushed through New Vegas and its DLCs (I didnt enjoyed it as much as Fallout 3 because of that) and when I was about to play the rest 3 games,Deus Ex Human Revolution come along.After finishing that I bought the 2 older Deus Ex games.

But before I got a chance to play those I got The Lost Crown which I actually finished.And because of this game I decided to get Dark Fall 1&2.After finishing the first I wanted to get to the second one and then Barrow Hill and a Dota 2 beta key came.At the same time I remembered that I havent finished Dragon Age Origins GOTY yet so I decided to play that one.

Its a never ending cycle from which I cant espace….. Confused

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I have this problem as well, but it’s not really because of “buying frenzies”, but more a question of not enough time to play what I’d like to play.

My time for gaming has dropped significantly when I graduated and started working, it dropped further when I met TimovieWife, and it dropped to its current level when we bought a house and moved in together. At least getting married didn’t change anything… Tongue

While my available game-time has continued to lower and lower, the amount of games I’ve bought has remained relatively the same. This has lead to an ever growing backlog of games to play, and specifically adventure games have taken the brunt of it.

There are currently about 100 games on my list of games to play, and I already own more than half of them. Some of those I’ve owned for several years now, but never got around to actually playing them…

And while I’m slowly chipping away at that backlog, I’m still adding more titles than I get to strike through. But at least I’m no longer buying any new games that get a low playing priority. Ever since moving in with the missus, I haven’t bought a single game that I haven’t started playing within the first few weeks of its purchase.
At least that has the advantage that, even if I’ll never get through my full backlog, I’ll eventually get through every game I own…

But I shudder to think what having kids would do to my remaining game-time… Tongue

Especially since occasionally a game like “Tennis Elbow 2011” pops up, that usurps 99% of all available game-time for months in a row (and then again a year later when Roland Garros and Wimbledon reignite my tennis mood)... Smile

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

Good to know I’m not the only one.  I’m definitely a chronic victim of the Steam sales.  I don’t even want to look at my Steam library to see how many unplayed games I’ve purchased.  At least I now know myself well enough to not download a game from Steam when I purchase it.  I leave it grayed out on Steam until I’m ready to give it a go.  Otherwise, my hard drive would have filled up many times over.  Tongue

It’s gotten worse, though, now, because I actively look out for sales.  I might actually spend more time looking for deals than I do playing the games.  It’s probably a toss up. 

It’s hard to feel bad about it, though.  You might have 100 unplayed games on Steam, but odds are you probably paid less than most people pay for a handful of games they buy on preorder for full price.  Smile

Total Posts: 15

Joined 2012-08-05

PM

Got a more mature head now(finally) that I don’t go for sale or buy thing right away. Got a rule that will only buy 1 game every 2 months.

Everyone takes a road less traveled, not knowing all will lead to the path

Kindly visit if you have time. Click Me!

Total Posts: 235

Joined 2004-09-18

PM

Eeks, my unplayed/unfinished pile is also around 100 titles, not to mention stacks of unwatched DVDs and unread books… Too many hobbies, too little time! Confused Yep, I’m a sucker for cheap titles as well, usually I’ll grab games and bundles at $10 and under. Grin During the summer, with the longer daylight hours, my adventure gaming tends to take a back seat to my backlog of novels, but I still try to average 25-30 games played over the year. Since I don’t seem to buy that many titles in a year, shouldn’t the list steadily get shorter? Sometimes I worry that I’ll be too blind to enjoy anything by the time I retire! Nerd

Diabolus ex Machina since 1993

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

TimovieMan - 27 August 2012 12:16 PM

...But I shudder to think what having kids would do to my remaining game-time… :p

Yeah.

I recently bought a shed load of games in the steam sale for a ridiculous price but when am I going to play them?

Thank goodness for the Android port of the AGS engine, commuting has never been so challenging!

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 360

Joined 2006-01-12

PM

But I shudder to think what having kids would do to my remaining game-time… Tongue

Well I’m at the other end of the line there. Just drove my oldest to uni for five years of studying last weekend and the youngest is leaving for Paris in a couple of weeks.

What am I going to do with all the time and money… Naughty  Wink

Lazy Bee
Temporary guest in your life.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

I have played enough games in life to know what i want, when and at what price.
Price and time isn’t an issue if the need is high. And once i get them i ususally
end them sooner than average gamer, most of the games these days don’t last longer
than 2 days 3 hrs a day , for e.g Sleeping dogs took 4 days 3 hours a day to complete, 12 hours.

Now i read Darksiders2 is atleast 25 hours so i will buy that when i will have
sparetime in weekends , if not i will plan and buy but i make sure
not matter what i will end them before next purchase that will be Residentevil6.

Remember waiting for sales promotion or discounts are practices to save money but
they are offset by not even playing the game.

In your case i would suggest Demos, not trailers and hype. If you find
Demo really worthy of your attention and time go for it, else save money. Plenty
of my friends have same problem of building backlogs.

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

Jelena - 29 August 2012 12:56 PM

Well I’m at the other end of the line there. Just drove my oldest to uni for five years of studying last weekend and the youngest is leaving for Paris in a couple of weeks.

What am I going to do with all the time and money… Naughty  Wink

Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up

i’m the same too….i never had a collection of games,used to get some as presents when i was a kid but at some point my adventure gamer blood awoke and demanded a collection.then i began buying them(hard copies only,when the option for it is there) and now i have 25 or so,maybe more.i’ve been buying them from amazon.co.uk mainly where you can get deliveries of 25 pounds worth and more without paying postal and packaging fees.right now i have 10+ games that i still haven’t played and there are more and more games coming out from other genres too.in contrast to Jelena though i have no time.i’m turning in my thesis next saturday and i still have some work i have to do to complete the initial ammount i agreed upon with my supervisor.not to mention other projects.

and it’s not just games.i’ve the same problem with fantasy books.i already have about 10+ bought and waiting to be read.

where is a time stopper when you need one?or a fast reading ability,at least to make time for the games or a portal to a dimension where time passes much slower than ours:P.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top