• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Shenmue III

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I was thinking, with the tons of remakes they are having these days, some of them for games that came out just last year, wouldn’t it be nice to have a remake for the first 2 Shenmue games for those of us who weren’t lucky enough to play them?

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

SEGA still own the rights to l and ll, but I’m really hoping they’ll see how much the KS makes and they’ll port them over to PC.

It would be amazing to have all three on PC.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Shenmue could take Yakuza’s lead by including video recaps of the first two games so new players have some context.

Anyway… is this it for reviving ‘90s adventure game nostalgia? I think we’ve tapped out every cherished moment of that decade barring an open-world Discworld game and The Last Express 2: Express Harder.

What will appear on Kickstarter next?

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2008-09-02

PM

Lots of valid points on both sides of this debate as to the ethics of the SIII KS campaign—it’s clearly quite divisive. This isn’t the conversation I’d intended to start, but nevertheless an interesting one! At the very least, I’m glad the project is getting widespread attention in the gaming community, rather than languishing as merely a fans’ dream. (Or maybe the Shenmue die-hard fandom was always bigger than I realised.)

Tad - 19 June 2015 02:58 PM

Going by what we know, Slll will most likely be smaller as the story will take Ryo to far more rural and secluded places.

I’ve just started playing through Sl again Wink

Indeed, Suzuki-san has stated that they want a “deeper”, smaller world—more character & environmental detail, rather than the relatively sketch-like (albeit still breathtaking) breadth of the world in SII. I guess it’ll have the detail of the Yokosuka of the first chapter, in a more rural fashion.

I’ve just bought a VGA box & HDMI converter so that I can play the first two games on my Dreamcast through an HDTV! Laughing

thejobloshow - 20 June 2015 05:15 AM

Anyway… is this it for reviving ‘90s adventure game nostalgia? I think we’ve tapped out every cherished moment of that decade barring an open-world Discworld game and The Last Express 2: Express Harder.

What will appear on Kickstarter next?

Quelle question; I think Shenmue’s a little different from some other revivals, as this will be a long-planned continuation that’s just taken ages to materialise—but it is still tapping into that late-20th century nostalgia in the popular consciousness (which is just as prevalent in mainstream cinema, e.g. the recent Mad Max film). Sometimes it’s the result of undiminishing fan interest, or otherwise a combination of a dearth of innovation & corporate greed…

Y’know, it’s surprising that there hasn’t been another Discworld game in recent years, given the late, great Terry’s continuing popularity…

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2008-09-02

PM

SoccerDude28 - 19 June 2015 10:59 PM

I was thinking, with the tons of remakes they are having these days, some of them for games that came out just last year, wouldn’t it be nice to have a remake for the first 2 Shenmue games for those of us who weren’t lucky enough to play them?

Tad - 20 June 2015 01:07 AM

SEGA still own the rights to l and ll, but I’m really hoping they’ll see how much the KS makes and they’ll port them over to PC.

It would be amazing to have all three on PC.

I love the increasing amount of older (‘retro’) games being ported to modern operating systems. I couldn’t dream of acquiring some old PC adventure games a few years ago, which I now have in my GOG library - and I’ve recently realised that a lot of the games I liked on obsolete consoles I’ve clung on to are now available via Steam, often remastered, and so I can happily sell old games & hardware, safe in the knowledge that I can inexpensively download them for future replays.

It’s a shame this isn’t the case for Shenmue & a lot of other DC games. The cost of procuring the necessary hardware & both games is currently exorbitant. Like both of you, I want Shenmue for everyone…

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Shenmue could take Yakuza’s lead by including video recaps of the first two games so new players have some context.

This would also be important for people like me that have not played the game in many years also.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

thejobloshow - 20 June 2015 05:15 AM

This was one of the first stretch goals for Shenmue III (already hit, obv.)

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Blackthorne - 19 June 2015 02:38 PM

fov is right.  As much as Shenmue III is cool, using Kickstarter this way is bogus for all of the above listed reasons.  As much as I’d like to see Shenmue III, basically using it as an interest gauge is crap.

Bt

Blodstained just before it did same thing, nobody discussed the ethics then, because Shenmue made a splash, also the reason its post here on Adventure section when Shenmue is beatemup adventure, action game.
Its basically a preorder, and works well against petitions where many times people dont purchase the game later or get it as discount, happened alot with Yakuza.
As wilco said Sony was transparent, news was there for people to see and fans like us still voted, its ultimately upto us to decide whether we want it , KS is just a means to an end, its should not be an ethical issue.
And you using words like crap and corporate are ironic now since you were the one who was trying to be sanctimonious about your corporate partner PoS , and asked us to be polite and not use similar lingo like crap.
What happened now, all of sudden other side of the fence? Tongue

Suzuki answered alot of questions,

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1067382

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

nomadsoul - 20 June 2015 08:09 AM

Suzuki answered alot of questions,

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1067382

Seems like a big part of the funds comes from the kickstarter and how big the scope of the game will be really depends of the stretch goals being reached.

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

So, as I said earlier, these “journalists” are wrong.

That reddit was great though. We got an insight into what he’s planning. Two things concerned me about it mind. Seems as though for a complete Shenmue the KS will need 10 million and he’s not ruling out Shenmue 4.

Considering how long 3 took to get here, I’m a bit worried we’ll never see it finished.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Tad - 20 June 2015 12:13 PM

So, as I said earlier, these “journalists” are wrong.

That reddit was great though. We got an insight into what he’s planning. Two things concerned me about it mind. Seems as though for a complete Shenmue the KS will need 10 million and he’s not ruling out Shenmue 4.

Considering how long 3 took to get here, I’m a bit worried we’ll never see it finished.

He is not bluffing, he always said that he had envisioned Shenmue saga as 4 main games and around 11 chapters.
IIRC, we got to chapter 5 at S2 end.
So its mpossible to cover it in S3.

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Hmmm…like I said, bit concerning. I can see this going one or two ways then. Either Slll comes out and does well enough to make llll (then 5) or we start the wait…again. *sigh*

The reddit Q&A seems to suggest he plans to and although 2 million will make sure a basic version of Slll is made (I think they mean like Telltale, but more freedom, puzzles and fighting), 10 million would see it being fully as he imagined.

I can see it getting around 6 through Kickstarter, but without the first two widely available, I’m worried it might not make enough to bring 4 and 5 out.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

And you using words like crap and corporate are ironic now since you were the one who was trying to be sanctimonious about your corporate partner PoS , and asked us to be polite and not use similar lingo like crap.

Good lord, PoS is FAAAR from corporate, and they’re not our partners.  They merely distributed our game, Quest for Infamy, on the Steam Platform - they never gave us any money for development, etc.  All money for development came from money raised in Kickstarter and out own funds.

This is quite different from a corporation, which will put 10s of millions of dollars into the production of Shenmue III.  I don’t think it’s right to use Kickstarter in the manner at all.

Bt

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Blodstained just before it did same thing, nobody discussed the ethics then, because Shenmue made a splash, also the reason its post here on Adventure section when Shenmue is beatemup adventure, action game.

Bloodstained was more up front about it, but even so, some of the same questions were raised:

http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/19/8624665/big-indie-kickstarters-are-killing-actual-indies

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/AndrewPellerano/20150520/243843/Kickstarter_or_Every_Publishers_New_Greenlight_Process.php

And the thread was probably on the adventure forum because the original poster put it there and none of the mods were familiar enough with the game to know where it belonged. Tongue But having looked into it a bit more, I’m moving it to General. It may turn out to be one of those games that’s close enough for AG to ultimately consider it an adventure, but there’s just not enough info to know at this point, and the Kickstarter page does refer to it as an action RPG. Thanks for pointing it out.

Well, I wrote a reply yesterday and then I deleted it because I don’t want to rain on anyone’s parade. We’re not going to convince each other, and this thread should be for people who are excited about the game to talk about it. So I won’t be back again after this, but it’s not because I’ve suddenly changed my mind. Wink

Personally I feel the same way I did yesterday, even after reading the Neogaf thread. When people throw money at a Kickstarter—some of them, a lot of money—without knowing exactly how their money’s going to be used, it’s cause for concern. Likewise when a developer asks for $2M to make a sequel to a game that cost $70M in 1999 [or $47M depending on who you’re quoting, it’s still a big number Pan], without explaining the discrepancy. There are things that don’t add up, and consumers are at risk because of it. That’s why the press is talking about this. Not to sabotage the campaign, but to try to bring issues with it to light so people can make an informed decision before backing it. And frankly that’s what the press should be doing, that’s their job.

I don’t have anything against this campaign or the people who are excited about it. I sincerely hope the backers are happy with what they get for their money, in the end. But I think it (and also Bloodstained) sets a concerning precedent for how Kickstarter is used, and it’s something the gaming community should continue to talk about.

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Ignorance is bliss I guess as the man himself has proven you both wrong, but you still won’t let it go. It’s pathetic and childish - especially as one of you is abusing your position.

You’re wrong to move the thread as it’s an adventure game at heart. They’re are puzzles, people to talk to, exploration etc. Heck, the main plot is tracking down Lan Di through clues.

Either do your job properly or let someone more competent and less bias do it instead.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top