• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Thief (4)

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

The thing is, as much as I loved Dishonored, I still prefer the gameplay of Thief over the supernatural elements of the former.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2009-04-20

PM

Monolith - 04 March 2014 12:40 AM

The thing is, as much as I loved Dishonored, I still prefer the gameplay of Thief over the supernatural elements of the former.

Same here. I liked the first Bioshock game (haven’t played the others), so combining that with a Thief-esque style, made it a really enjoyable game with it’s own gameplay twist.

I was nervous in the build up to Thief 4 about it being touted as a Dishonored clone. But once you get into into it, the nostalgia, trademark gear/setting & humor etc… you realize how Dishonored is nowhere near the same feeling as Thief once you step into Garrett’s shoes.

Despite the technical issues & some gameplay annoyances, Thief 4 is a great game. I’m glad i ignored the poor reviews.

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Niko - 14 March 2014 02:24 PM
Monolith - 04 March 2014 12:40 AM

Same here. I liked the first Bioshock game (haven’t played the others), so combining that with a Thief-esque style, made it a really enjoyable game with it’s own gameplay twist.

I was nervous in the build up to Thief 4 about it being touted as a Dishonored clone. But once you get into into it, the nostalgia, trademark gear/setting & humor etc… you realize how Dishonored is nowhere near the same feeling as Thief once you step into Garrett’s shoes.

Despite the technical issues & some gameplay annoyances, Thief 4 is a great game. I’m glad i ignored the poor reviews.

Well i’ll be able to decide on it tonight. Going to be able to sit down and give it a ol time.

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Another great title’s potential wasted painfully,with today’s
graphics engine options could’ve been all different..eg:natural challenges like day&night; cycle in real time and an open world map means no loading screens and free running on rooftops instead of (moving in a box)direct copying old ones.Maybe in future Ubisoft makes a stealth action which unleashes its true potential.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2014-04-10

PM

Like many people, I was rather disappointed about the game itself. I was expecting a return to the original Thief but with MORE options and far better graphics. I certainly got the graphics, but the game itself does not play like an improvement. I think that they tried to placate the casual gamer and because of it, distanced themselves from the core group of Thief players.

Anyone heard of http://FlappyGamer.com ?

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Gabe - 14 April 2014 03:50 AM

Another great title’s potential wasted painfully,with today’s
graphics engine options could’ve been all different..eg:natural challenges like day&night; cycle in real time and an open world map means no loading screens and free running on rooftops instead of (moving in a box)direct copying old ones.Maybe in future Ubisoft makes a stealth action which unleashes its true potential.

But would that even classify as Thief? That would classify it as a rape of the series.

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Monolith - 14 April 2014 01:39 PM

But would that even classify as Thief? That would classify it as a rape of the series.

What we got today plays out that series finished 10 years ago already,questioning the default issue like that your privilige.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Gabe - 14 April 2014 03:22 PM

What we got today plays out that series finished 10 years ago already,questioning the default issue like that your privilige.

From what I understand, people are complaining when things are too different, and when they’re too much alike. I think its all stupid and people just need to enjoy the games they want to play.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Monolith - 14 April 2014 06:14 PM

From what I understand, people are complaining when things are too different, and when they’re too much alike. I think its all stupid and people just need to enjoy the games they want to play.

DeusEx HR and Dishonored were great , Thief guys should have followed their
idea of hitting the right balance. Well the maybe its troubled
development, makes me mad that instead of making theif they should have made
Legacy of Kain, which again means even more harder job since original writers are
dispersed.

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

nomadsoul - 14 April 2014 07:37 PM
Monolith - 14 April 2014 06:14 PM

Legacy of Kain, which again means even more harder job since original writers are
dispersed.

Two great examples. I don’t know, both of those games aren’t vastly different from their inspiration/original concepts, where as if they went to far off the rails with Thief the way Gabe thought it should be improved, then would that even make the game better? Balance is a good choice of word since both of those games changed a bit without destroying its core concept. Although Dishonored wasn’t a thief game, it was still a spiritual successor and it really showed.

Regarding Kain…i’m a little iffed about Nosgoth right now. -_- Its Shadowrun for the 360 all over again.

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2012-02-15

PM

I’d expect to see a master thief using grapling hook atleast instead of looking for pre installed blue ropes but every aspect of game,from mission design to narrative is so limited better to not waste time on it.

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2009-04-20

PM

nomadsoul - 14 April 2014 07:37 PM

dispersed.

Dishonored was enjoyable, but IMO it’s overrated. I enjoyed Thief 4 just as much if not more, yet because it’s coming from a pre-established series it’s rated lowly due to expectations & thick nostalgia tinted glasses. While Dishonored get’s a free pass with it’s first game as they’re is no previous game in it’s series to compare it to, which is a Bioshock/insert stealth game combo, that just happens to come just at the time people are craving the next stealth’em up FPS & get overexcited(i count myself in that at the time). It’s enjoyable, but was no where near perfect, the end was terrible. 

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Niko - 27 April 2014 11:34 AM

Dishonored was enjoyable, but IMO it’s overrated. I enjoyed Thief 4 just as much if not more, yet because it’s coming from a pre-established series it’s rated lowly due to expectations & thick nostalgia tinted glasses. While Dishonored get’s a free pass with it’s first game as they’re is no previous game in it’s series to compare it to, which is a Bioshock/insert stealth game combo, that just happens to come just at the time people are craving the next stealth’em up FPS & get overexcited(i count myself in that at the time). It’s enjoyable, but was no where near perfect, the end was terrible.

Dishonored story in base game isnt perfect, but DLC was awesome.
Its made by one of the original member of thief/Deusex series so as a creator,
he(harvey) can ripoff himself. Except night time feel, Dishonored is best replica and more. One can avoid superpowers if they want and totally ghost with just dagger. 
IMO, Dunwall > thief world and City17 combined.

Experience of games like Dishonored is tied with player agency. One can pulloff
plenty of experimentation while other players can do nothing. So the experience
gets different and relative.
Only games come close to it are vanquish and godhand.
In the games i mentioned the narrative is gameplay stories you pulled of,
not just the actual game story. And i have plenty of stories of
encounters and tactics i used in a playground called Dunwall. Wink

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

nomadsoul - 27 April 2014 02:19 PM
Niko - 27 April 2014 11:34 AM

Dishonored story in base game isnt perfect, but DLC was awesome.
Its made by one of the original member of thief/Deusex series so as a creator,
he(harvey) can ripoff himself. Except night time feel, Dishonored is best replica and more. One can avoid superpowers if they want and totally ghost with just dagger. 
IMO, Dunwall > thief world and City17 combined.

Experience of games like Dishonored is tied with player agency. One can pulloff
plenty of experimentation while other players can do nothing. So the experience
gets different and relative.
Only games come close to it are vanquish and godhand.
In the games i mentioned the narrative is gameplay stories you pulled of,
not just the actual game story. And i have plenty of stories of
encounters and tactics i used in a playground called Dunwall. Wink

I can see how that would benefit an alternate Thief 4 more. Though its hard to believe Thief would be that sort of game that would allow for the diversity Dishonored offers. Admittedly, its much more exciting when you can play a game and share your experiences with friends, which I felt was non-existant in Thief 4.

Its kinda cool to hear a level headed perspective on Thief 4 without all the pretentious feelings, so I have to hand it to Niko for being so straightforward.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Monolith - 28 April 2014 01:47 AM

Its kinda cool to hear a level headed perspective on Thief 4 without all the pretentious feelings, so I have to hand it to Niko for being so straightforward.

All casuals aboard.

Not pretnetious, Thief4 destroyed the core concept of thief(mantling) and replaced it with
Asscreed casual one button stupid stuff which even DeusEx HR avoided.

Google the term and you will know a thing or two.

I am glad Dishonored won Big awards and sold well too.
I am glad that Thief4 is a dud.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top