• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Antichamber

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Has anyone been playing Antichamber? It’s a first-person puzzler that really, really, really likes messing with your head. Not an adventure game, but I guess it can appeal to many people around here. I’ve only been playing it for a short while, but so far it’s been a really fun (and weird) experience.

Total Posts: 45

Joined 2012-11-27

PM

Grr, I just pressed the post reply button instead of submit post and now everything’s gone.

But yeah, I’ve played a couple of hours now since release and am immensely enjoying everything this game has to offer. From the way the whole maze is structured in a reality-bending fashion to the puzzles that require quite a bit of unconventional thinking (especially during the first part of the game) to the ambient sounds that accompany you as you explore to the way in which you discover what the underlying rules of the maze are: it’s all so enjoyable.

This game is also so special that I find it hard to draw direct comparisons to other titles.

Here’s a trailer that might give an impression of what you’re in for:

But that probably won’t really tell you much either. It’s something to be experienced by yourself. It’s of course possible to watch other people play parts either in real life or on Youtube, but that kind of spoils (parts) of the game and it’s best to just jump in. If you like puzzles and don’t mind first-person controls (there is almost no dexterity involved and the jumping is very forgiving), you will probably at least enjoy Antichamber… or love it, as is the case for me. 

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Well, I’m done with it and it was great. The first couple of hours, before you get the matter guns and all you can do to progress is look around and move, are absolutely brilliant. I may regret that it never fully recaptures that feeling afterwards and becomes “just” a very clever puzzle game, but I guess it had to be done to allow it to expand.

It’s true that there are a few dodgy puzzles, as well as some major interface problems when placing blocks, but the final sequence in which the game makes you use all the skills you’ve learnt one after the other did a great job of making me forget about those few rough edges and left me impressed and happy.

I highly recommend it, and I’m surprised it hasn’t received more interest from this site’s visitors.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Kurufinwe - 03 February 2013 11:15 PM

I’m surprised it hasn’t received more interest from this site’s visitors.

Maybe you should post it in the adventure section. After all, it’s no different from Portal.

I’ve spent about an hour on it total and have enjoyed it a lot, although I don’t really understand why there’s a time limit. It’s very claustrophobic and surreal so I find I can only play a few minutes at a time.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Zifnab - 18 February 2013 08:12 AM

Maybe you should post it in the adventure section. After all, it’s no different from Portal.

It is. Portal has a story and a world to explore. Antichamber doesn’t.

I’ve spent about an hour on it total and have enjoyed it a lot, although I don’t really understand why there’s a time limit. It’s very claustrophobic and surreal so I find I can only play a few minutes at a time.

You’ll see what happens when time runs out, but I wouldn’t worry too much.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Kurufinwe - 18 February 2013 11:39 AM

Portal has a story and a world to explore. Antichamber doesn’t.

That’s disappointing. I thought the picture-panels you come across would eventually come to something, an overarching theme or story.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top