• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrelluckyloser

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

So, what’s your game of 2012?

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

That one game that stood head and shoulders above the rest in any genre.

For me, it would have to be the fast paced, gratuitously violent, 80s synth inspired, top down shooter Miami Hotline.

I sunk so many hours into this game either dying or trying different approaches and I look forward to the inevitable sequel currently in the works. It’s truly hard to believe that it was made by two guys with GameMaker - it has such a captivating mood and feel.

Et toi?

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I said in several posts in this thread how much I loved Virtue’s Last Reward (don’t get me started on today’s review…), and it’s definitely the game of the year for me.

Although, if we’re going to start counting hours, Steam informs me that I’ve sunk 258 hours of my life into Skyrim, and if I remember correctly at least 100 of those were in 2012. So I guess the award for Most time happily spent in a game goes to Skyrim for the second year in a row. (And with the upcoming DLCs and mods, I expect it to keep that title in 2013.)

thejobloshow - 17 December 2012 08:06 PM

Et toi?

??? Tongue

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Mass Effect 3

The awesome conclusion to the series (despite EA and BioWare doing everything they can to destroy the quality of the game by mandatory online multiplayer play and a botched ending that needed fixing). I really loved this game, but contrary to the previous two installments, I now somehow feel that the story is finished.
I played it through with my main character, and unlike ME1 and ME2 I don’t really feel the urge to replay the entire thing with a different approach. The only sad part of this is that I won’t be enjoying Jennifer Hale’s renegade voice acting…

Anyway, as suspected, Mass Effect 3 is the game of the year for me - which actually means that BioWare’s gotten my “Game of the Year” award for the fifth time in the last 10 years… Gasp

It’s also probably the first time since I started gaming (some 25 years ago) where I’ve only played 2 games that were released that year (ME3 and London 2012). Let me focus on my backlog in classic adventure games instead… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 236

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

I think my ‘Game of the Year’ won’t be decided until sometime next year. Meh I’ve still yet to play/complete a number of titles. The only candidate I have is Dishonored at the moment.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

TimovieMan - 18 December 2012 01:06 AM

Anyway, as suspected, Mass Effect 3 is the game of the year for me - which actually means that BioWare’s gotten my “Game of the Year” award for the fifth time in the last 10 years… Gasp

That’s Mass Effect 1,2,3, Dragon Age and Kotor right?

I was a bit disappointed with Mass Effect 2 and 3 and not just about the ending, but loved Dragon Age and Kotor.

My games of the year would probably be Walking Dead on PC and Lollipop Chainsaw on consoles - despite it’s obvious problems it was a stupid fun game that came at the right time for me, it was actually my first platinum trophy.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

wilco - 18 December 2012 10:11 AM

That’s Mass Effect 1,2,3, Dragon Age and Kotor right?

Of course. With KotOR and Mass Effect 2 being in my top 5 of best games of all time…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

TimovieMan - 18 December 2012 11:49 AM

Of course. With KotOR and Mass Effect 2 being in my top 5 of best games of all time…

Nothing wrong with that - Mass Effect is a great trilogy. I was just worried Jade Empire was one of the choices Smile

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

If you mean Games released in this year then I have not decided yet.

The contenders at the moment are Mass Effect 3, Walking Dead and Dishonoured.

However I am about 50% into Far Cry 3 and loving the shit out if that game so it may be a late candidate for GOTY.

Best game I have played this year was Grim Fandango Smile

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Lucien21 - 18 December 2012 05:47 PM

Best game I have played this year was Grim Fandango Smile

LOL. Yes, in that case the best game I have played this year was The Curse of Monkey Island. Smile

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

thejobloshow - 17 December 2012 08:06 PM

That one game that stood head and shoulders above the rest in any genre.

For me, it would have to be the fast paced, gratuitously violent, 80s synth inspired, top down shooter Miami Hotline.

I sunk so many hours into this game either dying or trying different approaches and I look forward to the inevitable sequel currently in the works. It’s truly hard to believe that it was made by two guys with GameMaker - it has such a captivating mood and feel.

Et toi?

I made the thread no body seem interested , but good to see some fans here.

Mine are

Dishonored and Borderlands2.
Best story Specops The Line

Total Posts: 57

Joined 2009-07-07

PM

I’m torn between Dishonored and Resonance, although I’ve yet to finish the latter. Still have to play Primordia, too.

“It is so shocking to find out how many people do not believe that they can learn, and how many more believe learning to be difficult.”

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2011-07-11

PM

Its hard to choose one, because 2012 was quite a strong year for gaming, but my winner is

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition

Amazing in every aspect. I am also adding “best AGS so far” The Cat Lady, Donna: AoB, Dear Esther and Dishonored (but that game could have been way better).

Currently playing: Ever 17, The Space Bar

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Game of 2012 simply n\a for me,quite poor games released this year(another year like this and i’m done for)for pc on the contrary of 2k11 there are no games released near the level of quality Batman AC or Witcher 2,neither a LA Noire nor Skyrim,D.Ex HR.ACB…
Only exception was late pc release of Alan Wake,stands out as a noteworthy title but not good enough unfortunately.(Yes i’ve played all before mentioned titles)

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2012-12-22

PM

Antaios - 19 December 2012 04:11 AM

I’m torn between Dishonored and Resonance, although I’ve yet to finish the latter. Still have to play Primordia, too.

I played Resonance but I wasn’t that impressed about it. It’s a good game but thought it was a bit tricky to handle all the characters.

One game that’s gotten a lot of awards (as you probably know) is Journey. I haven’t played it myself but it looks like it deserves the awards. Think that would be my game of the year if I would have played it. Smile

Deponia and Botanicula are nice too though.

Looking forward to The Cave by Double Fine next year.

Story rich DRM-free games for Windows, Mac and linux for direct download - https://fireflowergames.com/. Half the profit goes to projects that benefit the environment and game related projects.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

wilco - 18 December 2012 02:07 PM
TimovieMan - 18 December 2012 11:49 AM

Nothing wrong with that - Mass Effect is a great trilogy. I was just worried Jade Empire was one of the choices Smile

What’s so wrong with JE? I mean, the combat is a bit repetitive, but in my opinion it’s still quite clearly a better game than, say, Dragon Age (and from what I’ve heard, not even worth mentioning DA2). And probably beats Mass Effect 2 too. Notably better story, more interesting setting, in my opinion more interesting gameplay mechanics (even if, as mentioned, the combat got a bit repetitive - this one point doesn’t really work in comparison to ME2, aside from ME2 being way too streamlined (but the other points definitely)). Possibly even better characters.

As for my game of the year… frankly, I don’t know. I haven’t really bought/played many games this year, let alone games that were released this year. All I can remember are Fez, ME3 and Halo 4 (and a couple older AGs, but I guess they don’t count here). Not that many games that have been so interesting. Only one (of non-AGs) I remember considering in addition to those is Dishonored, but decided not to get it either.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

UPtimist - 23 December 2012 11:57 AM

What’s so wrong with JE? I mean, the combat is a bit repetitive, but in my opinion it’s still quite clearly a better game than, say, Dragon Age (and from what I’ve heard, not even worth mentioning DA2). And probably beats Mass Effect 2 too. Notably better story, more interesting setting, in my opinion more interesting gameplay mechanics (even if, as mentioned, the combat got a bit repetitive - this one point doesn’t really work in comparison to ME2, aside from ME2 being way too streamlined (but the other points definitely)). Possibly even better characters.

I only played it once when it was released, so I don’t remember everything about it. I was really hyped for it at the time so that might be a big part of problem, but I really didn’t like it. The setting was interesting but the story boring with a predictable twist at the end (specially after kotor). The game felt really small with only that big city to explore something. The combat was the worst part being repetitive and broken I think (I remember apamming only one attack to kill the final boss). Dragon Age was much more interesting and fun to me (Yeah, Dragon Age 2 is bad and rushed…) and Mass Effect a great trilogy for what it is - a big epic action-heavy RPG-lite space-opera.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top