• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceanGabriel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] Time for a new community playthrough?

Total Posts: 487

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Well at least be careful everyone when you interpret results from those sites.
Also this is one of the reasons why I am not against Steam like many other people, as they are the only ones who allow me to survive. I know very well that there are debates about Steam vs Epic Store, or about games not being DRM-Free on Steam, and I totally agree with many of the ideas in there. But Steam has a huge community and if they could do an effort regarding their 30% fee, they could really improve the life of many “small” devs…

Total Posts: 197

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

100% agreed.

I’ll always be thankful for Steam because they offer a chance to (mostly) everyone.

GOG and Epic are not open platforms, they’re curated. Only about 10% indie games are accepted on GOG (they had refused Demetrios until there were enough wishlists), and Epic only cares for indies when a game starts to be popular…
And itch.io isn’t sustainable.

Though I was a bit gutted that they lowered their percent cut… only for the biggest games. Epic are full of themselves and only bring trouble. (but that’s another topic)

Now I’m designing my games to run on as many platforms as possible, with both PC and consoles in mind (as well as touch controls in case I do mobile someday but it’s not priority for me - I made less than 5% revenue of Demetrios on mobile) Because each platform brings almost as much money as the Steam/PC version, and a port is much less work than creating a whole new game!

NB : Sorry for deviating from the topic. In case you want to do a community playthrough on Demetrios, I’ll be glad to give Steam keys!

French creator & solo developer of “BROK the InvestiGator” (coming soon) and “Demetrios” (Available on PC, iOS, Android, PS4, Xbox One, PS Vita and Nintendo Switch)

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

(Yeah sorry it seems that we have polluted the CPT thread! Admins please don’t hesitate to move this to an all new threads, if people are interested to react - personally I won’t say a word more, I have exposed my life more than enough for today)

Back to votes! Smile

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

@Simon: I apologize for bringing Steamspy up. I simply thought: hey, I can check with this developer if the Steamspy sales are correct. Because I started having doubts when I saw one game’s sales (The Longing) dropping by tens of thousands in a single day. But I should have thought twice before posting your sales figures. Let me know if you’d like me to delete my post.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Put me down for Bohini Smile

For steamspy, from what I’ve heard, it’s widely inaccurate (over inflating really) for low selling titles. The founder even admits it but he should make that much more explicit on the site.

And, out of topic but the difficulty of making it for indies developing adventure games is something that deeply saddens me. A lot of developers pour their hearts and years of effort into great, amazing work of art and every time I see that it doesn’t do well, it breaks my heart…

There are so many great games that I’ve enjoyed but that will never see a sequel because the sales didn’t pan out and I can’t blame them. I wish there was a better way to help adventure game indies reach more customers and for indies to more easily make a living with that. Humblebundle for example seemed like an interesting idea, but in the end bundle sites are part of the problem, they create unrealistic expectations of what a game should cost and a race to the bottom that’s unsustainable for game creators.

So, Simon, I told you before, but thanks for all the great work you’ve done and the world is a better place for having artists like you still strive to create great art regardless…

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

I’ll try to make it short because we’re off-topic, but thanks for your comments!

@Karlok: no problem. At the beginning I was wondering if you had doubts about the amount of money I make when I gave details earlier to TimovieMan and was saying that my sales are not going well. But when replying I understood that you were simply asking out of curiosity, and anyway I didn’t take it bad. My answer was not directed to you but to players in general who could be mistaken because of the stats on sites like Steamspy. So in the end I took it as an opportunity to make my situation clear, even if it was difficult for me to expose my life and revenue like this. I hope it can help other small devs in the future too. Please don’t delete your post as my answer wouldn’t make sense anymore, it is better to keep the original context.

@giom: yeah it is sad when a good game doesn’t work and makes it complicated for the team behind. At least we (devs) are well aware that most of you on adventure sites/forums represent a community of passionate people who always try to support us in a way or another, and for that we are really thankful! We also know that there are too many games and you can’t buy them all, and even if you could, you wouldnt’ have the time to play them all. So the only way I see is to continue to support the games you like, and try to talk about them on social networks and forums as often as you can, in order to spread the word. Writing reviews on Steam/GOG is helpful, wishlisting games can also give them so exposure because of the algorithms on the selling platforms… Anyway thanks!

Wow I have almost the feeling that I am participating to a CPT before I do!
Laughing

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension (5) - Karlok, TimovieMan, Doom, Pegbiter, Intense Degree

The Journey Down, Chapters 1-3 (4) - SoccerDude, TimovieMan, Doom, Chrissie

Boïnihi: The K’i Codex (3) - Luhr28, TimovieMan, Giom
Heavy Rain (3) - Intense Degree (leader), Chrissie, Pegbiter
L.A. Noire (3) - Intense Degree (leader), Chrissie, Pegbiter
Loom (3) - SoccerDude, Doom, DCast
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies (3) - Adv_Lvr (leader), TimovieMan, Pegbiter
Shivers 2 (3) - RTRooney, TimovieMan, SoccerDude

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Put me in for There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension, The Journey Down, Boïnihi, L.A. Noir and Loom.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension (6) - Karlok, TimovieMan, Doom, Pegbiter, Intense Degree, Sefir

The Journey Down, Chapters 1-3 (5) - SoccerDude, TimovieMan, Doom, Chrissie, Sefir

Boïnihi: The K’i Codex (4) - Luhr28, TimovieMan, Giom, Sefir
L.A. Noire (4) - Intense Degree (leader), Chrissie, Pegbiter, Sefir
Loom (4) - SoccerDude, Doom, DCast, Sefir

Heavy Rain (3) - Intense Degree (leader), Chrissie, Pegbiter
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies (3) - Adv_Lvr (leader), TimovieMan, Pegbiter
Shivers 2 (3) - RTRooney, TimovieMan, SoccerDude

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

By the way, I forgot to mention that voting will end on Friday, November 13.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

My problem is that I’ve been following a discussion of There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension and I can’t decide if I even like the concept. I’ve also not played
The Journey Down so I can’t commit there.

I hate to say it, but I really didn’t like ASA. So I really can’t vote for Boïnihi: The K’i Codex

L.A. Noire is also a game that has mixed reviews. So I must take a pass there. Loom is also a game I’m not familiar with.

Heavy Rain is a game that is beyond my computer’s capabilities. So that’s a no go.

I have no interest in Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies

And since I finally got Lighthouse, I thing any push for
Shivers 2 would be a real stretch.

Don’t know where to cast a vote.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 06 November 2020 11:14 PM

My problem is that I’ve been following a discussion of There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension and I can’t decide if I even like the concept.

You could try the freeware game? It’ll only take you about 15 minutes to play and would give you an idea of what’s to come in the full game?

I’ve also not played
The Journey Down so I can’t commit there.

Playing a game for the first time in a CPT had lead to me discovering several great games that I might otherwise never have played. Why do you feel like you need to have played the game to participate?

I have no interest in Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies

You’d also need a Nintendo 3DS to play it… Innocent

And since I finally got Lighthouse, I thing any push for
Shivers 2 would be a real stretch.

Why not? A vote is just a vote. If you don’t vote for it, it definitely can’t win… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Although I have no intention of voting nor joining in I thought it polite to pass on that GoG currently have The Journey Down trilogy on sale for £2.99 (your currency will vary Laughing ):

The Journey Down at GoG

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I offer to be the leader if There Is No Game wins because it looks like I’m the only one who has played the game. It will be minimal leadership, just scheduling etc.

TimovieMan - 07 November 2020 03:57 AM
rtrooney - 06 November 2020 11:14 PM

My problem is that I’ve been following a discussion of There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension and I can’t decide if I even like the concept.

You could try the freeware game? It’ll only take you about 15 minutes to play and would give you an idea of what’s to come in the full game?

What TimovieMan said!

PS: You played the Obra Dinn and liked it. Smile

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

have no interest in Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies
You’d also need a Nintendo 3DS to play it… Innocent

This is completely untrue. You can also play it on IOS and Android as well. I am currently playing it on my ipad Mini 5.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top