• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game have you just finished?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Vehelon - 28 October 2020 06:39 AM

The real time movement makes it so tedious. What used to take 5 seconds to navigate with a few clicks now takes 30. It also pixelates heavily when you move close to things. The rest I can’t explain, it just somehow ruins a perfectly good game. And it doesn’t make it any more immersive.

If it takes 30 seconds to navigate then that beats the “fast” 5 seconds after which I end up lost, need to backtrack and start over and ultimately waste 3 minutes to get to that same location. Tongue

I never noticed high pixelation. Maybe it’s different in the Masterpiece Edition of realMyst?
On the other hand, I have a *very* high tolerance for poorer graphics. Smile

Vehelon - 28 October 2020 06:39 AM

But what about you? How does it work that you don’t like Myst’s navigation and made it through Lighthouse? From what I remember there’s barely a difference.

I think it’s a combination of the smaller locations in Lighthouse and the higher story immersion early on.

You’re not as likely to get lost in a single room as on a large open island, and the locations in Lighthouse are mostly smaller. Plus you have a compass that helps in keeping your bearings.

The problem with Myst is also that the worst offender in terms of navigation is Myst island itself, where the game starts. So the game made a terrible first impression, and then the puzzles on Myst island were the most abstruse and poorly clued of the entire game, which cemented that poor first impression.

Lighthouse in comparison gave you a more solid background from the start, and gave you more incentive to continue, which also makes it easier to endure poor navigation.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

TimovieMan - 27 October 2020 08:18 PM

Finished the CPT of Lighthouse: The Dark Being.

Even though it’s heavily flawed, I enjoyed the game. It manages to build up enough backstory to get you invested, and I like that you’re given a few options of going about your way (so it’s not too linear). Unfortunately the game mixes good sections with infuriating sections. I enjoyed the lighthouse and the fortress the most, with Martin’s Roost a close third, but then I disliked the volcano and I utterly despised the submarine and shipwreck sections. There were a lot of poorly clued-in puzzles, so a lot of it was “fiddling with things until you stumble on the solution”, which is not how it should be.
But the graphics were good for their time, and frankly, I enjoyed it more than Myst. Smile

Lighthouse: The Dark Being - 2.5/5

That takes me back… Lighthouse was one of the first adventure games I ever played and one of the few I could find that worked on my mac around 1996. It faced some hard competition; I think I had played Myst, Broken Sword 1 and Gabriel Knight 2 (in that order) before playing it. I especially remember having trouble with a monster not liking wooden bridges, a very hard section in a mini-submarine and having to map a pretty complicated rail system in the volcano. Have fond memories of the game as a whole though.

Must check out how these CPT:s work. It would have been fun to participate and I’ve been thinking about revisiting Lighthouse since it became playable through ScummVM.

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’ve played several versions of Myst for Macs - Masterpiece, RealMyst, and the latest RealMyst Masterpiece, which I played a couple of months ago. Of all three, I like RealMyst the best, simply because of the animations, the day/night cycles, and the added age, which made for a better ending.  The Masterpiece version of RealMyst lost some graphic details, probably because it was also ported to hand-held devices.

In Myst, the player had to dig for the story in the books, and details were added slowly as you explored each age. However, the clues were there for all the puzzles.  In Lighthouse, the story was more personal from the beginning, mainly because you could hear Krick’s voice reading the text, and there were characters to engage you.  The puzzles, as has been mentioned, were often poorly clued or not at all.  Despite their differences, I really enjoyed playing both games.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2018-01-09

PM

Vehelon - 27 October 2020 02:02 PM

Rebirth better than TDD? Wow. High praise.

To be clear, it’s about what I expected for Frictional doing a sequel.  That is to say, not really as groundbreaking or thought-provoking as their original games are but a lot more polished than the first Amnesia. 

Frictional has been pretty open about the fact that they only reused the same setting as Amnesia (and the same engine as Soma) to save on development time so they can finally start developing more than one game in parallel.  Frictional also said that the Amnesia re-releases on console sold more than Soma ever did.  So the decision to do a sequel was also obviously a matter of the “Amnesia name” simply having more selling power than a new original game.  Cyan has obviously realized the same thing about games with the “Myst” name as opposed to their new original games.

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Lady Kestrel - 28 October 2020 04:35 PM

I’ve played several versions of Myst for Macs - Masterpiece, RealMyst, and the latest RealMyst Masterpiece, which I played a couple of months ago. Of all three, I like RealMyst the best, simply because of the animations, the day/night cycles, and the added age, which made for a better ending.  The Masterpiece version of RealMyst lost some graphic details, probably because it was also ported to hand-held devices.

Interesting. I played realMyst Masterpiece the last time I played the series, thinking it should be the best looking version. Well well, now that yet another rework is soon here, maybe the differences between the two realMysts will be moot. Unless they sacrifice things for the VR thingy of course.

Here’s hoping they will finally rework Riven in the same manner. I know there are assets that are lost or doesn’t work as a foundation, but it should be possible to do it and I believe it would sell really well. I absolutely love Riven, but the graphics are starting to show their age and it would be amazing to roam around freely on Riven’s islands.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

@Timovieman: Interesting. My own experience of Myst is completely different. I played it when it was released and I will always remember it as a breath of fresh air, a novel experience. Obviously, anybody’s experience of Myst in 2020 is bound to be more negative. I wouldn’t want to replay it myself. Riven is different. IMO it has stood the test of time.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

To get in the Halloween spirit, I played Goetia this week, and I wasn’t disappointed.  It’s mysterious and often quite creepy, and the sheer number of areas to explore and puzzles to solve is amazing. I have played very few side-scrollers (Gomo is the only one that comes to mind.), but the unfolding story of the Blackwood family drew me in and held on tight.  A couple of puzzles aren’t clued very well, but the majority of them are well done and several are very clever.  The artwork is excellent, and the music and sound effects add to the atmosphere.  This is a game I’ll remember for a long time.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

That’s a nice recommendation Lady Kestrel & it’s currently in the Steam sale with 85% off!  Thumbs Up

I myself have just finished Little Misfortune. I found the story, writing & voice-acting excellent but I might as well have been clicking through a story book with pictures on Kindle due to the lack of puzzling so I found it a little disappointing from that point of view.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Goetia is one of several games I bought months ago, and it jumped out at me while I was browsing my stash of games at GOG.

Next on my list is to finally finish Unforseen Incidents!  I really like the game and even remember where I stopped, although I don’t remember why I put it aside.  (Stuckedness? House renovations?  Other life issues?)  I’m anxious to get back into it, and I’ll check the playthrough thread as I go.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

Paradise Killer is ultimately a game I’m not sure I really like, even if it has a lot of neat ideas. The open world, the concept of rewarding players for exploration and allowing them to find as much of the plot as they like are all interesting concepts, but as a mystery game, I can’t help but feel like it’s a shame the game does all the thinking for you. It’s a collect-a-thon for evidence/testimonies and rewards players for exploring the island very thoroughly (and solve some minor puzzles on the way), but it doesn’t allow the player to meaningful interact with, or even think about the evidence/testimonies collected and it instantly explains everything to the player by immediately telling them what the importance of each newly found piece of evidence is, how it was used and who it implicates. There’s never truly an “Aha!” moment where the whole thing clicks in your mind after a bit of thinking.

Also, later updates made it bearable fortunately, but motion sickness was killing me when the game was first released and I physically couldn’t take sessions longer than ten minutes.

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Total Posts: 260

Joined 2014-12-25

PM

Zniw Adventure
The description made me expect a kid’s game with minigames. The minigames are optional extras, and I actually got stuck a few times.
A nice game with minor flaws, but clearly a candidate for my surprise of the year. The price is more than fair, too.
Total playtime according to Steam: 10,1 hours

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

After having finished Stories Untold (which I enjoyed) I noticed that Observation from the same developer had been made available on GoG. Just finished the game and really enjoyed it. I’d say it’s a walking simulator (although you don’t have any legs…) at its core but a pretty challenging one to get through without help! Brilliantly put together. 4/5 stars.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I finished “The Book of Regrets” a fun little adventure game I found in the PSN store for 5 dollars. I played on my iPad using remote play. It’s pretty good, some nice puzzles and graphics while crude were interesting. I’d play it again.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Tantei KID - 03 November 2020 05:39 AM

Paradise Killer is ultimately a game I’m not sure I really like, even if it has a lot of neat ideas. The open world, the concept of rewarding players for exploration and allowing them to find as much of the plot as they like are all interesting concepts, but as a mystery game, I can’t help but feel like it’s a shame the game does all the thinking for you. It’s a collect-a-thon for evidence/testimonies and rewards players for exploring the island very thoroughly (and solve some minor puzzles on the way), but it doesn’t allow the player to meaningful interact with, or even think about the evidence/testimonies collected and it instantly explains everything to the player by immediately telling them what the importance of each newly found piece of evidence is, how it was used and who it implicates. There’s never truly an “Aha!” moment where the whole thing clicks in your mind after a bit of thinking.

Also, later updates made it bearable fortunately, but motion sickness was killing me when the game was first released and I physically couldn’t take sessions longer than ten minutes.

Purely looking at the plot, is it worth a playthrough?

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I just finished Cathrine Full Body. A very strange game. But fun. Very different and I do recommend the game.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top