• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What are your favourite kinds of adventure games?

Total Posts: 260

Joined 2014-12-25

PM

We know that there are many types of adventure games. Some require special types of puzzles, or they don’t need NPCs to work. Every setting and every subgenre is allowed. Myst-likes, explorational adventures, interactive movies, pure point & click, everything. Even the first survival horror games like Silent Hill or Alone in the Dark were marketed as adventure games, so they count in this thread. Let’s talk about our favourites.

No. 1: Treasure Hunting
It’s all Gabriel Knight 3’s fault. Le Serpent Rouge got me hooked on this kind of adventure game. Analysing old maps, deciphering ancient manuscripts, interpreting clous in the environment… I just can’t get enough of those. And games like Broken Sword or Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis have only made my addiction to this type of game worse.

No. 2: Haunted Places
My first adventure game was The Blackstone Chronicles, and I fell in love with it immediately. It was so much fun to talk to the ghosts, solve puzzles, uncover the dark secrets of the past, and unlock more and more of Blackstone as I proceeded through the story. There are never enough games of this type. Fortunately, there’s always a Dark Fall game to hope for, or there’d be even less games of this type.
And no, I’m not a fan of merely explorational adventures. I don’t want to be guided and rushed from jumpscare to cutscene. It’s all about the atmosphere for me. I want puzzles to keep my brain busy, to give me a sense of accomplishment, and to take the rush out of the game.

No. 3: Classic Mystey Adventures
No matter if there’s a murder to solve or a stolen Item to retrieve, it’s fun to gather evidence, interrogate witnesses and suspects, and draw condlusions. If you want to feel like Sherlock Holmes, Miss Marple or Hercule Poirot, these games are just what you need. And I love them. Plus, children’s mysteries were my first favourite genre ever when I had just learned to read, so there’s also a little nostalgia in there for me.

No. 4: Whacky Cartoon Adventures
A good cartoon adventures has its own inner logic. Its world has its own weird laws of physics, and I love to figure them out and solve puzzles making use of them. As a bonus, there are funny dialogues. If the writers are good, that is.

No. 5: Fantasy Adventures
Much like mysteries, I’ve loved fantasy stories since my childhood. A well crafted fantasy world is magical. It lets you forget everything around you, and takes you on a journey full of amazing places, interesting societies, and fascinating flora and fauna. I love to see that in adventure games. The Longest Journey, The Whispered World, Kyrandia, Zork… I’ve played them all, and yet I still want to see so many more worlds. And if you give me magic puzzles to figure out, I have everything I need.

But enough about me. What are your preferences? What types of adventure games do you love, and why? It’s your turn now.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

No. 6: Cyberpunk Adventures. The Longest Journey also had some cyberpunk elements too. High Tech, low life, great science fiction and stories of the future. Obviously Blade Runner is one of the greats of this genre.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

It’s too hard to categorize adventure games imo, and I’m lucky enough to be able to enjoy more or less any “type” of adventure game anyway. First person/third person or lots of puzzles/no puzzles don’t matter much to me, although the adventure game that got me hooked back in the day was Myst and Riven is probably my favorite game ever. But the Gabriel Knights, Silent Hills and a few “walking sims” are high on my favorite games list too, so.

Generally I’m no big fan of games with very strong emphasis on humor, although there probably are some exceptions on my top 30 list. Generally I prefer games with a conspiracy/mystery/ghost story or “serious” setting over comedy games, but that’s it.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

No 7: Adventure games with cuddly stuffed toys as protagonists.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Luhr28 - 29 September 2020 10:55 AM

No 7: Adventure games with cuddly stuffed toys as protagonists.

If you’re talking about this one, YES!

https://adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/3972/

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Yes Karlok, I’ve played that one and it is indeed very good. I’m having trouble recalling many others right now, but I’ll think about it.  Cool

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

one with a good story and more importantly interesting characters

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Looking back at my favourite games I realise that many of them are fantasy adventures. Which is strange since I’m generally not a fan of fantasy in literature or movies, I’m more of a sci-fi and historical fiction man. But it seems like ags (as well as RPGs) are particularly good at this sort of stories. Fantasy adventures also happen to be very funny which I also like in adventure games.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I agree, fantasy does very well in AGs. One of my favorite AGs in Book of Unwritten Tales 2 which is a great fantasy adventure.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2012-12-22

PM

Adv_Lvr - 28 September 2020 10:36 PM

No. 6: Cyberpunk Adventures. The Longest Journey also had some cyberpunk elements too. High Tech, low life, great science fiction and stories of the future. Obviously Blade Runner is one of the greats of this genre.

Same here. But sci-fi in general is a favorite of mine, both in games and movies. I would like to see more Solarpunk adventures though.

Story rich DRM-free games for Windows, Mac and linux for direct download - https://fireflowergames.com/. Half the profit goes to projects that benefit the environment and game related projects.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

About half of the adventure games that I have written about are some kind of science fiction, so that’s mostly the answer. Much of the other half is comedy, with some overlapping areas like Space Quest obviously.

I don’t play too often adventures which don’t fall into one of those two categories, sometimes that happens of course, as I don’t try to avoid any subgenres on purpose. Then again, most adventure games can be counted as some kind of comedy or science fiction stories, so nothing very surprising there.

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

FireFlower - 30 September 2020 10:20 AM

Same here. But sci-fi in general is a favorite of mine, both in games and movies. I would like to see more Solarpunk adventures though.

Solarpunk is yesterday’s news. Lunarpunk is where it’s really at.

Total Posts: 282

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Detective is clearly my favourite type. Classic mysteries are (almost) always a hit with me, but any kind works, really. Give me a game that starts with “you are a detective” and I’m in. Even the most formulaic or mediocre ones find favour with me (yup, Nancy Drew and even Law & Order), unless their execution is spectacularly poor (yes I’m thinking of you, Art of Murder series). It can extend to “Mystery” in general, it doesn’t have to be a detective protagonist specifically - a psychological mystery like The Infectious Madness of Dr. Dekker is just as satisfying as a good old Sherlock Holmes. I don’t care for sci-fi or fantasy, but I can appreciate a well-written mystery game in either of these types of settings (e.g. Whispers of a Machine).

Then I enjoy Treasure hunts quite a lot. Deciphering clues, researching databases, pinpointing locations on maps… It’s hard to pull off really well, I have slightly higher standards than for detective games, but when it’s well done (e.g. Gabriel Knight 3), I’m having a tremendous time.

I also like a bit of comedy in my games, but I wouldn’t say that Comedy as a genre is a favourite, probably because there are too many different kinds of humour out there. Games that incorporate humour in a more serious storyline (like Broken Sword) work well for me. So do detective comedies (most of the time, my favourite being The Darkside Detective), but that goes without saying. I like it when a game doesn’t take itself seriously, but I’m not sure that’s a type of game per se.

Some of my favourite games don’t quite fall into these genres, but I wouldn’t know how to categorise them anyway!

Karlok - 29 September 2020 05:18 PM

https://adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/3972/

Oh I remember this game, I loved it! It would be great if they made a non-flash version of it, for posterity   Meh

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2012-12-22

PM

Luhr28 - 30 September 2020 02:36 PM
FireFlower - 30 September 2020 10:20 AM

Solarpunk is yesterday’s news. Lunarpunk is where it’s really at.

Yeah, lunarpunk is the new solarpunk.

Story rich DRM-free games for Windows, Mac and linux for direct download - https://fireflowergames.com/. Half the profit goes to projects that benefit the environment and game related projects.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I don’t really have a favourite genre. I just want the games to grip me, to have a good story and interesting characters.

I generally like games to have at least *some* humour, but if the jokes constantly fall flat, I’d have preferred no jokes at all…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

TimovieMan - 30 September 2020 04:13 PM

I don’t really have a favourite genre. I just want the games to grip me, to have a good story and interesting characters.

^    .... that

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top