• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Cognition an Erica Reed thriller review

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Celebreon - 11 July 2020 05:39 AM

Erica’s head fell off and orbited around her shoulders.  And I didn’t encounter this glitch once, but twice.

Hallelujah. Why didn’t that happen when I played?  Tongue

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I beat the final episode today, final playtime was 18 hrs. This game was a lot longer than I expected it to be. Thought it would be like a telltale game where the first episode is like 2 and a half hrs, and each episode after that was like 1 and a half lol.

Speaking of telltale, I didnt like the fake choice meter this episode tried to trick you with, Yes there could be slight variations to the story, but the major beats would all be the same. This is telltale 101 game design and quite frankly im sick of it, either give real real choices or none at all and tell me the story you want to tell.

As far as the rest of the episode, it was indeed the most laggy and glitchy I also saw erica’s head roll off once lol. But the story was engaging and even though the puzzles were a slight step down they were still fun overall. This had a lot of qte type things though and while none were too hard, there were too many. Overall this episode gets a 7.5/10

Now for some major spoilers Even though the story was not high art, I did enjoy the nature of it, I could understand all the character’s motivations even if I did not agree with them. I like how they did the ying and yang thing between two psychics of erica and Cordelia. I understood why she went crazy after being forced to kill one brother by her other serial killer brother. In episode 3 I took it as the lawyer slept with their mom and keith was a half brother, but in the final episode it is revealed that he is not related at all to Cordelia and max. So why did their parents raise him as their own? the back-story involving his real dad made very little sense and they kind of brushed over it and pushed it to the side. I also thought erica’s dad could have been used more in the story. they also left the John subplot dangling, erica and him never resolved their issues and now he is just dead. I do like where they could have taken the story, with erica leaving the fbi, and becoming a private investigator,with her special powers and finding other psyis. This is the same basic story that dave was trying to tell in unavowed but I felt like it worked better here. Yes I know unavowed went even further with demons and the supernatural but it is the same basic principal.

As a whole game I think this is a 7/10 for me. It is far from perfect but I did enjoy my time with it, especially for under 4 dollars. I also think they could write a sequel to it even though it is highly unlikely they will at this point.

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

I think one of the things I’ve pointed out again and again, is how STRONG most of these episodes start.

They fit right in to that serial crime drama genre of media, and really the timing and pacing for the beginning and end of levels is quite nice.  When that theme music kicks in for the opening credits or closing credits, I get the really excited feeling of watching a TV show that I love.  The credits theme starts playing, and I just think to myself “YES! HERE WE GO AGAIN!”

Problem is the pacing in between the credits haha.

So do you think John would count as the “red herring” cliche’?  Because it feels like the game implies the masterminds of different levels COULD be John or Skorobeus or McAdams.

Sadly in CH4, I think the dialog between Erica and Cordelia is weird.  Sometimes they are cooperative and…. flirty (that was weird), but other times she’s like oh yeah, but I didn’t forget that you’re a murderer, and then they are antagonistic to each other, and it just keeps switching.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Celebreon - 13 July 2020 03:51 PM

I think one of the things I’ve pointed out again and again, is how STRONG most of these episodes start.

They fit right in to that serial crime drama genre of media, and really the timing and pacing for the beginning and end of levels is quite nice.  When that theme music kicks in for the opening credits or closing credits, I get the really excited feeling of watching a TV show that I love.  The credits theme starts playing, and I just think to myself “YES! HERE WE GO AGAIN!”

Problem is the pacing in between the credits haha.

So do you think John would count as the “red herring” cliche’?  Because it feels like the game implies the masterminds of different levels COULD be John or Skorobeus or McAdams.

Sadly in CH4, I think the dialog between Erica and Cordelia is weird.  Sometimes they are cooperative and…. flirty (that was weird), but other times she’s like oh yeah, but I didn’t forget that you’re a murderer, and then they are antagonistic to each other, and it just keeps switching.

The truth is all the characters besides erica are kinda aholes lol. MCadams and davies were kind of dirty cops sort of eh. John is either lazy or incompetent, Im not sure which, and Skorobeus is also dumb or incompetent He is keith’s father and keith is not actually blood related to the siblings, so why was he raised like he was. Also by the end of chapter 3 skorobeus had to know his goose was cooked yet he stuck around. Max was involved in scams, keith and Cordelia are serial killers etc… Sully was semi ok.

The reason the dialogue is weird is bc of the choice meter that was introduced, it just does not work here at all. So you get strange dialogue back and forth where one minute they are flirting and the next they are hostile. Like I said the overall story arcs are told very well, but the minute by minute dialogue leaves a lot to be desired.

As far as pacing goes this is the first episode I felt an issue. This episode felt like it was rushed, with erica being taken from one scene to the next without a minute to breathe. Also just like in chapter 2 I felt like this episode had too many clicks to do simple task. Much like the final puzzle in episode 2, this episode required you to do a lot of extra clicking to use inventory items.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

A few years ago the x-files geek in me was amped up to play it. Bought it, installed it, played it for 10 minutes and deleted it. Don’t remember what but something about the game was very off-putting to me.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I just started this and it looks and plays just great. I really like the Psi abilities and their usage. After playing Secret Files Sam Peters for a whole 3 hours, I’m ready for 18 hours of great story and characterization.

I’ll post some additional thoughts on the game when I complete it.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Sam Peters was okay but I would consider Cognition a whole lot better!

Total Posts: 141

Joined 2019-05-03

PM

I’m still not entirely over my disappointment with the last episode. Same as with Blackwell, it just leaves a sour taste over the entire experience for me ^^;

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Ha, that’s one game I would’ve recommended to you if I knew you hadn’t played it yet. I hope you enjoy it, Adv_lvr!

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Vegetable Party - 26 February 2022 06:19 PM

Ha, that’s one game I would’ve recommended to you if I knew you hadn’t played it yet. I hope you enjoy it, Adv_lvr!

Thanks for the recommendation, I’m enjoying the game so far, it could be one of the best games I play in 2022. Fingers crossed.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1239

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

We translate it into Spanish a few years ago and I really enjoyed it. Episode 3 is just brilliant!

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

walas74 - 28 February 2022 05:55 PM

We translate it into Spanish a few years ago and I really enjoyed it. Episode 3 is just brilliant!

I’m finishing up Episode 1 now. I’ve heard from others that 3 is by far the best Episode. I’m really looking forward to it as I bought all 4 Episodes.

Heart

Total Posts: 837

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

A compelling and exciting game with some thrilling cliff-hanger highs…and also some terrible immersion breaking glitches, instances of poor writing, horrible puzzle design, and beyond-my-capability suspension of disbelief nonsense behavior from the characters.

The almost mandatory adventure game ‘mystic momma’ character was really annoying, too.

Overall, I enjoyed it, but sometimes I got frustrated when poor game design made me think ‘Why?! This could have been so much better with just a little more thought put into it.’

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 1239

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Well, if character’s behaviour was always logic, 90% of movies, books, TV series and adventures games wouldn’t exist Tongue

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Baron_Blubba - 04 March 2022 02:36 PM

A compelling and exciting game with some thrilling cliff-hanger highs…and also some terrible immersion breaking glitches, instances of poor writing, horrible puzzle design, and beyond-my-capability suspension of disbelief nonsense behavior from the characters.

The almost mandatory adventure game ‘mystic momma’ character was really annoying, too.

Overall, I enjoyed it, but sometimes I got frustrated when poor game design made me think ‘Why?! This could have been so much better with just a little more thought put into it.’

Agreed, but this game hit all the right notes with me overall, for whatever reason

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top