• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

IronCretinJdawg445Lady KestrelTimovieManwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game have you just finished?

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Is Mikekelly a bot?

I hope not. That would be bad for me. Due to being inside my house I’ve been playing way more adventure games than usual.

I also finished “The Detail”, which Got terrible reviews. But I really liked it. No Voice Acting which is a major negative for me. But with indies you tend to take what can and enjoy it for what it is. Strangely, the game was free from the App Store, I though you would get the first chapter free and pay for the other two, but they were free also.

I would have gladly paid for it, but it was a typical tale of drugs and gangs we heard a thousand times. However, I found the characters and puzzles interesting enough to finish the entire game. I’ve bought games before and enjoyed them then found out the game had gotten negative reviews, there are times when I’m glad I bought the game first then played it before reading any reviews of the game.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Mikekelly - 28 May 2020 08:31 PM

Is Mikekelly a bot?

I hope not. That would be bad for me. Due to being inside my house I’ve been playing way more adventure games than usual.

Same here Mikekelly.  Always check when you post here though since we have a lot of overlap in our game taste, and you always provide a good reason why you do or don’t like things, so it’s really helpful planning what I’ll try next!

So many games, so little time!

I’m pretty guilty of juggling adventures when I get stuck for really long periods of time though Naughty  Innocent

Total Posts: 282

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I’ve recently finished Disco Elysium. Funny thing, I’ve seen this game and Kentucky Route Zero both frequently listed as potential best adventure games of the (arbitrary) past decade, and I’ve waited until 2020 to play them and watch them quickly move to the top of my list of favourite video games ever. I’ve loved so many things about this game, I’ve already posted about it a while ago, but mostly I reveled in the freedom it granted the player, the details and complexity of the in-game universe, the melancholy is exuded, and above all the fact that for all the serious themes it tackles, it never, ever takes itself seriously.

I’ve just finished Gibbous. I had left it to sit for a while, I have no idea why since I remember finding it quite enjoyable in the beggining, and just recently stumbled across it again while browsing my installed games. So yes, as I’ve read several times, it falters a little bit towards the end. The first chapters were very engaging, and somehow I lost track of the plot along the way. Maybe there were too many threads and red-herrings? There were things I liked about the ending (the actual kraken rising just to destroy the mech-one was a nice way to put a term to it), but also some I didn’t understand very well (if they activated the volcanos, shouldn’t they have died smothered or burned?) and some I personnaly didn’t like (I got sad twice. The first time, when Kitteh died. I appreciated her sacrifice, although her character development was too sudden, but I thought it shouldn’t have been time for her to go yet, I was hoping she would somehow be spared thanks to her being cursed by the Necronomicon, maybe that the shock would return her to her former kitty self instead of killing her. And then I was even sadder when she got possessed by / became the Beast! If there is a sequel (which would be nice!) I hope it will be about defeating the Beast without killing Kitteh, something like an exorcism. I really would have liked a happy ending for that cat.) All that being said, it was a solid, enjoyable game, with great art and amazing animation. Voice acting was uneven for one character (the most verbose one, not easy to dub!) but sounded professional on the whole. And one last thing: whatever you are making, video game, film, book, puppet show, do not include a rap battle  Grin Looking forward to seeing more games by the developers!

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

I’ve finished a few AGs lately.

Detective Di : Well, I loved it. I was kind of hesitating to play it because the graphics felt a bit too simple for my taste, but in the end they’re quite nice and fit the story well, and the rest is just top notch : great compelling story, good puzzles, quite long, great music… I’ll definetely check whatever the creator does in the future.

Edna and Harvey : Hated it with a passion, stopped playing after an hour.

Eliza : Kinda left me cold, much too linear for my taste, without any actual puzzles, and I didn’t really care about the topics that the game delves into.

Mage’s initiation : I thought I wouldn’t like this one, for some reason, and so postponed playing it, and I do think it has some pretty bigs flaws, namely the fighting and the mazes, but I still enjoyed myself a lot. Sure, nothing is really original in this Quest for Glory/ King’s Quest throwback, but everything (except the flaws mentioned above) is perfectly executed and checks all my nostalgia boxes. Also the difficulty is well dosed, it’s not too easy but not to hard and I didn’t run into any dead ends.
After two great remakes (KQ1 and KQ2), another win for Himalaya Studio.

I’d say this is my favorite AG this year.

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

I’ve also finished 80 days and Sorcery 3 by Inkle, and loved both games, though I found 80 Days especially impressive. There are some totally breathtaking moments - the most impressive one, for me, was the north pole expedition - , and for someone like me who considers graphics the most important aspect of a game, that’s saying a lot.

And another game I’ve finished and really liked : Lamplight City.
I expected to find it bland, based on most of the reviews I’d read, but really I couldn’t see anything wrong with it. The actual puzzles in detective games are always bad (hello Gabriel Knight 1 and 2, hello Blade Runner), so why not scrap them all altogether ?
What’s left is a game with a very cool world building, good characters, clever cases, and an overall very immersive and pleasant experience in which, despite the lack of actual puzzles, I felt like an active participant, actually doing some detecting. For some reason it’s left me more satisfied than most of the Wadget Eye games (which I also like).

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Ninth - 30 May 2020 12:09 PM

Mage’s initiation : I thought I wouldn’t like this one, for some reason, and so postponed playing it, and I do think it has some pretty bigs flaws, namely the fighting and the mazes, but I still enjoyed myself a lot. Sure, nothing is really original in this Quest for Glory/ King’s Quest throwback, but everything (except the flaws mentioned above) is perfectly executed and checks all my nostalgia boxes. Also the difficulty is well dosed, it’s not too easy but not to hard and I didn’t run into any dead ends.
After two great remakes (KQ1 and KQ2), another win for Himalaya Studio.

I’d say this is my favorite AG this year.

That sounds awesome!

I can’t wait to check it out.  I really love QFG/KQ, and even other similar games that I’ve tried like Heroine quest, quest for infamy etc.

It really excites me that it’s called “Mage’s Initiation”  because I love being a magical person in these games!

I haven’t played all the KQ’s, but one of my favorite parts in the whole series is feeling like I was really discovering the secrets to magic, and casting spells in KQ3, and I’ve really loved the mage playthrough of QFG series as well!

Speaking of mazes being a ‘flaw’, I’ve heard people bemoan the maze at the beginning of QFG2, and I would echo that sentiment, but I would argue it’s almost copy protection.  I mean if you really look at all the documentation before you play, you would know exactly where to go to find the money changer.

Is this that kind of maze or… what are we talking here?

Total Posts: 32

Joined 2005-07-01

PM

Just finished Kathy Rain, I really enjoyed it. Glad to see such quality still in the genre especially from the first game by a new developer.

“When government surveillance and intimidation is called “freedom from terrorism” or “liberation from crime”, freedom and liberty have become words without meanings.”
~ Chad Dumier, “Deus Ex”

The Adventure Game Enthusiast

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Celebreon - 01 June 2020 09:24 PM

Speaking of mazes being a ‘flaw’, I’ve heard people bemoan the maze at the beginning of QFG2, and I would echo that sentiment, but I would argue it’s almost copy protection.  I mean if you really look at all the documentation before you play, you would know exactly where to go to find the money changer.

Is this that kind of maze or… what are we talking here?

Nah, the mazes are just plain regular mazes where you have a few dozens of screens with some random encounters and a few items to find. It’s more of a “RPG-lite” thing. There are two main mazes and a smaller one, so it’s not too dire. I had to map one of these, though (couldn’t find the merchant’s stuff in the wastes).

And magic has a big importance in this game, so it should definitely be your cup of tea.

Joined 2005-07-01

PM

Space Quest 3 - Not bad, shorter than the first two I think. Hated the Astrochicken Game and robot fight though.

Blackwell Deception - I liked it as well as I liked all the others. The story was a little close to Dr. Sleep towards the end though.

“When government surveillance and intimidation is called “freedom from terrorism” or “liberation from crime”, freedom and liberty have become words without meanings.”
~ Chad Dumier, “Deus Ex”

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Phantom88 - 03 June 2020 08:16 PM

Space Quest 3 - Not bad, shorter than the first two I think. Hated the Astrochicken Game and robot fight though.

Blackwell Deception - I liked it as well as I liked all the others. The story was a little close to Dr. Sleep towards the end though.

Deception is soooo good!

I tried to check out your Kathy Rain Review from the channel in your signature, but I’m having a hard time hearing your voice.

Joined 2005-07-01

PM

Celebreon - 03 June 2020 10:00 PM

Deception is soooo good!

I tried to check out your Kathy Rain Review from the channel in your signature, but I’m having a hard time hearing your voice.

Yeah, I just started doing the reviews and my nerves on top of not adjusting the volume at all, or knowing what I’m doing when recording hurts a bit. I’ll keep that in mind for the next time I post one.

You can read it HERE if you’d like.

~ Chad Dumier, “Deus Ex”

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2020-06-01

PM

Last point and click game I completed was Kings Quest chapter 1 2015. (Need to buy the rest series, really enjoyed it.

I’m currently playing Thimbleweed Park.

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

I believe in you phantom!  It’s a learning process, and honestly, I’m happy to support any scripted content on youtube that is not a person in front of a camera un-scripted.

Also, I’ve been on the fence about Kathy Rain because I thought it was just a detective game with no super natural elements.  It’s funny because I can’t decide if I’m turned off by her hipster aesthetic, or in love with it.

With other similar protagonists like Rosangela Blackwell, she’s exceptionally earnest instead of hip.  But I kind of love both.

Sam, I bought the complete game on disc on ps4 (you’ll eventually hear me rant about physical versus digital media, not now)  And I really love it!

I know a lot of people were kind of turned off by it, but I personally love it.  It plays with the lore in a way that fans of the series will understand, but doesn’t tell the same story again.

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Hm, I just recalled that I finished The Mind of Marlo a few days ago.

I don’t have much to say about it, as there’s not much of a game here.
It’s the shortest AG I’ve ever played, it’s a bit funny, a bit thoughful, there’s no challenge, and it’s not very pretty.
I don’t really get the high mark it got.

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2020-06-01

PM

Celebreon - 04 June 2020 02:00 PM

I believe in you phantom!  It’s a learning process, and honestly, I’m happy to support any scripted content on youtube that is not a person in front of a camera un-scripted.

Also, I’ve been on the fence about Kathy Rain because I thought it was just a detective game with no super natural elements.  It’s funny because I can’t decide if I’m turned off by her hipster aesthetic, or in love with it.

With other similar protagonists like Rosangela Blackwell, she’s exceptionally earnest instead of hip.  But I kind of love both.

Sam, I bought the complete game on disc on ps4 (you’ll eventually hear me rant about physical versus digital media, not now)  And I really love it!

I know a lot of people were kind of turned off by it, but I personally love it.  It plays with the lore in a way that fans of the series will understand, but doesn’t tell the same story again.

I’ve the found PS4 surprisingly good for Adventure games. Thanks for reccomending it, I’ll definitley buy them. I was quite pleased with myself for getting through the first episode without a walkthrough.  Laughing

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top