• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

SpaceVenture (The Two Guys from Andromeda) 

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Shrug. Vaporware.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2006-10-02

PM

Fraudware

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2004-12-07

PM

Ouch, that’s cold. One guy fell ill, and the other one was (even more) in over his head than he originally was. Comparable to the Coles, that bankrupted themselves to try to please the fans and make do with the too-low amount of money they asked. It takes much more money and resources (and manpower) these days to create a game than it did back when they did it on their own. I feel sorry for them.

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2006-10-02

PM

$539,767

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

apignarb - 16 January 2020 02:32 AM

Ouch, that’s cold. One guy fell ill, and the other one was (even more) in over his head than he originally was. Comparable to the Coles, that bankrupted themselves to try to please the fans and make do with the too-low amount of money they asked. It takes much more money and resources (and manpower) these days to create a game than it did back when they did it on their own. I feel sorry for them.

From the first (no illness, no RL problems) backers were concerned about the lack of progress. The game has been in development for 7.5 years. After a couple of years the devs obviously felt confident enough to announce a release date: 30 November 2016. That was more than three years ago! The last update is seven months old. Not comparable to the Coles at all, but meets the criteria for vaporware. And did they ever create a game on their own? Back in the Space Quest days they were under Sierra’s wings.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Karlok - 16 January 2020 05:42 AM

From the first (no illness, no RL problems) backers were concerned about the lack of progress. The game has been in development for 7.5 years. After a couple of years the devs obviously felt confident enough to announce a release date: 30 November 2016. That was more than three years ago! The last update is seven months old. Not comparable to the Coles at all, but meets the criteria for vaporware. And did they ever create a game on their own? Back in the Space Quest days they were under Sierra’s wings.

The problem seems to be that almost none of the old Sierra people had any idea about how to develop a game without Sierra, all of their Kickstarter projects have struggled. The most embarrassing being “Precinct” by Jim Walls which didn’t even get funded, because the creators couldn’t answer anything to backers who asked if the game is an adventure game or not!

Paul Trowe/Al Lowe and Jane Jensen got their games made somehow, but the process wasn’t pretty in either case. The former promoted with Oded Sharon who later was kicked out of the project, and the latter first technically speaking violated Kickstarter rules by running a funding campaign for the studio, not a game, and the second promised game turned out to be the remake of Gabriel Knight, not an original title like they let backers to believe.

The Coles case is interesting. They had to run a second Kickstarter in order to deliver the first one, so in a sense their first one WAS vaporware, they couldn’t have delivered it without additional funding. They did an incredible job by actually fixing their project though, they could have just chosen not to deliver at all, which is an acceptable outcome with Kickstarter if all funding has been used to actually TRYING to deliver and much easier way out than what they chose to do.

The SpaceVenture case is disturbing, because it seems that there is no clear structure or organised methods to their project. Like someone being the leader, and if that person becomes unavailable, the second in line takes over and sees the project to completion. Sometimes it feels as if no one is actually working on the game at all, which is actually quite common with Kickstarter projects, but you would expect something else from people who are legendary names in the genre/industry.

I think if I add up all delays from the projects that I have backed, it is well over a century, maybe even more! To give credit where credit is due, at least these people have done something. Some other projects don’t have even videos to show even though years have passed. And they probably all have good reasons, someone got ill, someone’s house was damaged in a storm, someone lost their real job, someone moved to another country, someone is having copyright issues, etc.

But overall it’s very sad that out of all the projects that I have backed, only one delivered in time. It was a poster. Not related to games at all.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

get a grip people, we are gonna see this game soon.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

I want to take a moment to go on a tangent because i feel like i havent praised the game enough: What the coles accomplished with Hero-u was really great. And throughout all their struggles they stayed in good communication with the community. I thought it was a really cool adventure with lots of depth that captured the magic of retro games. It wasnt perfect and you can imagine spots that wouldv benefited from more of a budget. But they accomplished a great deal and made a complete game.
Okay back to spaceventure… I didnt back it.. havnt followed it in a very long time… so dont have strong opinions. But i imagine theyv come up with something that is a complete game worth playing… Will/when we see it…. who knows…

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Advie - 16 January 2020 12:13 PM

get a grip people, we are gonna see this game soon.

Oh?

zane - 16 January 2020 05:53 PM

But i imagine theyv come up with something that is a complete game worth playing…

Oh?

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spaceventure/two-guys-spaceventure-by-the-creators-of-space-que/posts/2751986

Look an update after nearly a year.

June release date.

LOL

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

So, at best, beta this year, release sometime in 2021.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

it seems Scott is outta te equation and Chris suddenly accepted as a guy from andromeda, however, anything thru the last years could have pointed out that mr.chrishad joined the guys because he is young and most aware of reaching young new spectators, and now he talks like senior dev.. that is sai and out of my system, I can’t be happier to hear that SV is almost out and at it is at the finetuning phase, yyaaayu

edited

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

First off, where are we on the game right now?

* All the main scenes of the game are completed, including the intro and ending game sequences
* Parts of the game are still being properly connected so everything plays from sequence to sequence
* Parts of the game are going through a polish phase right now
* Almost all of the VO has been added to the game. There are a few small parts that still need to be added
* The game still has some missing SFX and music that need to be added.
* More death sequences are being added
* Some fun Easter eggs are being added
* Game credits have not been put in yet, but that is on our radar
* We will be doing beta testing on a very large scale as soon as we feel we are ready. Backers that backed at a high enough level will receive access to beta testing
* The save game system is going through a revamp to make things work better and have a bit more polish

We are aware we have posted possible release dates before, but our Gantt chart shows that June is a reachable date so long as everything goes as planned.

It’s good to know that the project is still going on, but I think that June release date seems unbelievably optimistic.

Looking at that list, one can wonder, what have they actually already completed in the game? “All the main scenes completed” doesn’t tell much, when the second thing on the list implies that the game can’t be properly played from start to finish as it is now.

The most disturbing thing is the last one. If their save game functions aren’t working properly, they can have a very big problem to deal with.

And it’s three months to the release, and they are starting to plan a beta testing phase after they have fixed whatever is now broken?

I don’t think this will be out in June, or if it is, it will most likely be very buggy so that they can meet their own release date.

But at least they are trying.  Thumbs Up

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

GateKeeper - 16 January 2020 07:24 AM

The problem seems to be that almost none of the old Sierra people had any idea about how to develop a game without Sierra, all of their Kickstarter projects have struggled. The most embarrassing being “Precinct” by Jim Walls which didn’t even get funded, because the creators couldn’t answer anything to backers who asked if the game is an adventure game or not!

Paul Trowe/Al Lowe and Jane Jensen got their games made somehow, but the process wasn’t pretty in either case.

As you would expect, I’m going to give a nod to my friend Josh Mandel. He realized that he was a really good game designer. Comedy games is his forte. Although he has collaborated on some darker games over the years. I think he realized that the Kickstarter trap where the leader has to be Producer/Developer/Designer/Human resources manager/Chief financial officer .... was not something he would enjoy doing. So he didn’t

Almost all the other names mentioned tried at one time or another to take on all those roles. And, for the most part, they failed. Whether the Cole’s game comes out this year or next year is immaterial. They are good, if not marginally great, game designers. They, like the others mentioned are simply not good project managers who have the capability of taking a concept from start to finish. The point that they did not have Sierra available to manage their projects is a very valid one.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top