• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

replayed the dig and here are my thoughts

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

For some reason a whole bunch of videos popped up on youtube for me about the dig and and got me to want to replay it. I still have the cd from when my mom and I bought it in 96 or 97. It took us about a yr to beat it, and we used aol dial up to cheat once on the turtle puzzle. the image was super grainy so it might have made it even harder to solve the puzzle lol. I halfway replayed the game back in 02 but my computer at the time died. So I beat it for the second time in 2020 and I am proud to say I did not cheat at all….... except for the turtle puzzle but at least the image was a lot better this time. Anyway here are my thoughts

I liked the game a lot back in 96 and I like it even more in 2020, I know at the time of release it got blasted a little for outdated graphics, but they just work for me. This game excels at visual storytelling and the music is one of the best in videogame history at least to me. The actual voice acting, dialogue and story are a little hit and miss, but I think as a whole the game works well as far as telling a story goes.

I also think some oversell how hard the puzzles are, while yes I cheated once, I dont think the puzzles are all that hard and with the interface all being one click it is not too hard to brute force your way through even if you are stuck. To me the hardest part of the game was near the end where you had to start using other characters to solve some puzzle, when the rest of the game you are pretty much by yourself.

Going back to the story and the voice acting, I do get the complaints here to some extent. the cast is not the most likable group by far, to say the least; I actually wish the other 2 astronauts came with yall on the mission bc during this playthrough I exhausted all their dialogue options at the start of the game and they are pretty funny and interesting characters at least to me. But at the same time I actually like the fact Boston is alone much of the time bc it adds to the suspense and ambiance of the game.

Speaking of the start of the game, I think this game has a very underrated opening, the first 30 minutes to hr of gameplay, do a great job of introducing the story, characters, gameplay and stakes of the game. The puzzles here are all really easy so maybe thats why some gamers feel like once you get to the alien planet the game’s puzzles become so hard.

My biggest complaint is this, how do maggie and brink travel to the areas that they are at on the planet, once yall split up. Boston at the time had not activated the light bridges or the trams for them to travel by. It is like they just magically transport to their new locations through thin air lol.

That one gripe aside I loved my time with this game again a solid 9/10 for me. Pan  Heart Eyes ps. Im listening to the dig soundtrack on youtube as I type this

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

That soundtrack is wonderful

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I loved playing The Dig.  I liked the story, the characters, the music, the puzzles, and the distinctive color palate.  Aside from one pixel hunt for a difficult to see inventory item, and the silliness of Boston putting too large items in his pants pocket,  it was the perfect game for me.  It will remain on my list of favorites always.  Thanks for posting this, Jdawg.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I also enjoyed The Dig a lot, although I wish they followed the original script by Brian Moriarty. But even then it is easily the best sci-fi adventure for me and a nice change of themes and gameplay for LucasArts. Yes, they probably tried to do Myst like everyone else at the time, yet nothing feels artificial, the world is perfectly designed. Puzzles felt very hard back when I played it, but I think I made it without a walkthrough. Bill Tiller and other artists created a truly beautiful planet, I never thought of the graphics as outdated - just look at their use of colors, how much detail they put into backgrounds. And Michael Land’s score really draws you in and creates an unforgettable atmosphere.

Such a shame that Jack Houston and the Necronauts - a kickstarted adventure that looked like a spiritual successor to The Dig - remains unreleased and probably will never see the light.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Doom - 22 February 2020 12:16 PM

I also enjoyed The Dig a lot, although I wish they followed the original script by Brian Moriarty. But even then it is easily the best sci-fi adventure for me and a nice change of themes and gameplay for LucasArts. Yes, they probably tried to do Myst like everyone else at the time, yet nothing feels artificial, the world is perfectly designed. Puzzles felt very hard back when I played it, but I think I made it without a walkthrough. Bill Tiller and other artists created a truly beautiful planet, I never thought of the graphics as outdated - just look at their use of colors, how much detail they put into backgrounds. And Michael Land’s score really draws you in and creates an unforgettable atmosphere.

Such a shame that Jack Houston and the Necronauts - a kickstarted adventure that looked like a spiritual successor to The Dig - remains unreleased and probably will never see the light.

A lot of the reviews at the time complained about the look of the character models. I agree though the alien world is magical. Those tram sequences are magical, fyi those tram parts were done by industrial lights and magic. Heart Eyes

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Lady Kestrel - 21 February 2020 07:14 PM

I loved playing The Dig.  I liked the story, the characters, the music, the puzzles, and the distinctive color palate.  Aside from one pixel hunt for a difficult to see inventory item, and the silliness of Boston putting too large items in his pants pocket,  it was the perfect game for me.  It will remain on my list of favorites always.  Thanks for posting this, Jdawg.

No problem, I love writing these, just brings back so many fond memories.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

before packing the game back away, I went and saw the alternate ending with maggie, it was cool but really strange in its own way.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

It’s been ages since I’ve played the Dig. The most foremost recollection I have of it is that I found it a bit lacklustre. It has a nice setting, but overall, the game just didn’t quite feel like it worked. Like that it was missing something that would have made it really special.

But, it has been some time, so I’d have to play it again to see if it holds up or not.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

tomimt - 10 March 2020 02:18 PM

It’s been ages since I’ve played the Dig. The most foremost recollection I have of it is that I found it a bit lacklustre. It has a nice setting, but overall, the game just didn’t quite feel like it worked. Like that it was missing something that would have made it really special.

But, it has been some time, so I’d have to play it again to see if it holds up or not.

I get that, the characters and dialogue can be really hit or miss sometimes, but I think the atmosphere, the isolation of boston, the wonderful look of the alien world, and music just make the game really special.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top