• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady KestrelluckyloserTheTMD

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Retro Classic: Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: Case of the Serrated Scalpel questions.

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2019-03-26

PM

Hey everyone. I’m new to the board but have been lurking around the site for years. I have a few questions about what is my favorite game of all time, The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Serrated Scalpel.

So, I’m aware there are 3 versions. The DOS 9 floppy discs game released in 1992, the DOS CD rom game released in 1994 and the 3DO game released in 1994. I actually had a Goldstar 3DO and the game a while back but I, for some reason, let it go. Regretfully.

I collect Sherlock Holmes stuff (comics, video games, the amazing Consulting Detective board game series)so I am looking to reacquire a mint or new copy of what was and still is my favorite Holmes game.

My question. The 3DO version had the full motion video and voice overs with the actors. I know the DOS floppy and CD versions just had art renderings, not actors. The 3DO version had tons of recorded lines. I know the floppy disc version for DOS did not but did the CD DOS version have all the recorded audio or was it just the 3DO version?

Also, any other differences between the 3? I guess I am trying to acquire what I feel will be the best version of this classic title. I will probably just play on emulator (no 3DO anymore) but since I collect physical games I would like to have a nice copy as well. Also, on FreeDO, you can only control the game with the keyboard arrows. Anyone know if with the PC/DOS version if you can play with controller like you were able to do on the physical 3DO?

I know, lots of questions for a nearly 30 year old game but man, it still holds up due to a great story. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I’m pretty sure the CD version was just the floppy version re-released on a CD.

EDIT: See this bit from the ScummVM detection tables:

// Case of the Serrated Scalpel - English 3.5" Floppy
// The HitSquad CD version has the same MD5 

which indicates that the English CD version is the same as the floppy version.

Joined 2019-03-26

PM

Thanks. I appreciate it. I guess I am trying to decide which is best version to buy for my collection and the best to actually do a re-playing of. The voice overs are nice. But I hear the PC version had Watson’s journal which would be nice. Any thoughts from anyone who has played?

Again, I realize this is a very old game but if anyone would know it would be you guys here.

Joined 2019-03-26

PM

It looks to me like that, according to a developer, that the speech was actually part of the FMV for the 3DO only. So there would be no speech in the DOS/PC version.

With that being said, if any of you have played both, which was your preference? Any pluses to the PC version over the 3DO? Thanks again. I realize this is a long shot since such an old title.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Some more info on the 3DO version. (I’ve never personally played it, so I can’t help much.)

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

There are quite a few videos of the 3DO version of the game on Youtube, so you could always check those to decide if it looks like something you like.

I do recall reading that the 3DO version has a bit less dialogue than the DOS version though, thanks to the voice acting and FMV though. Though it might also be that I am remembering some other game.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top