• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Beyond a Steel Sky (Beneath a Steel Sky sequel)

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

YOu see a little bit of the world near the start of this video. Little is know about it so far.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 460

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Variety have posted another interview about it now: https://variety.com/2019/gaming/news/beyond-a-steel-sky-beneath-a-steel-sky-sequel-1203171160/

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, Control: Ultimate Edition
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2018-12-10

PM

Is this going to be released for PC and consoles or is it going to be Apple exclusive?

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Dale - 25 March 2019 03:47 PM

Variety have posted another interview about it now: https://variety.com/2019/gaming/news/beyond-a-steel-sky-beneath-a-steel-sky-sequel-1203171160/

I hate that every new game that gets announced has to give loud assurances to the gamergate rabble that the game won’t have anything interesting in it that might offend them.

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

Finally! It`s happening!!  Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up This is going to be great Smile

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Filmfreak - 25 March 2019 04:02 PM

Is this going to be released for PC and consoles or is it going to be Apple exclusive?

Yes, PC and consoles too. (Which consoles haven’t been announced.)

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Hooray, this is finally happening! Long live Charles Cecil, Dave Gibbons, Revolution, cyberpunk, Brazil and Joey!

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Trailer for the game here. Features a brief look at the world and some gameplay.

Looks great and from the excerpt from Revolution in this Gematsu writeup the game seems fairly ambitious.

The phrase “bounded sandbox” reminds me of Europolis from Dreamfall Chapters. Which is a very good thing as far as I’m concerned because that game is fantastic and super under-rated.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Nice to see you again, wilco.  Cool It’s been some time.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Karlok - 25 March 2019 08:44 PM

Nice to see you again, wilco.  Cool It’s been some time.

Thanks Karlok. Was just so happy to hear these news I had to check the forums! (even if I’m still not playing anything Embarassed  so want to play Obra Dinn…)

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Before you guys get super excited about this, read the article carefully.

“It will feature fully 3D environments that empower players with full control of the camera, as well as a new comic book-inspired aesthetic that’s meant to help embody the “spirit” of adventure gaming.”

It’s not going to be anything like BASS was.

Has there ever been an adventure series that went from 2D to 3D without losing its appeal and playability considerably? I can’t think of any.

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2019-03-26

PM

I’ve been waiting for this announcement for soooo long, and now I’m so bummed out! Frown

Between the full 3d free floating camera, sandbox-world, and the removal of classic point ‘n click mechanics.. I’m not sure what could excite me here, unfortunately.
I was looking forward to a classic experience, but it look like it’s a game trying to capture a new generation of adventure gamers.. maybe I’ll be pleasantly surprised, time will tell.
I’ll now start looking forward to Broken Sword 6 instead. Smile

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

GateKeeper - 26 March 2019 04:40 AM

Before you guys get super excited about this, read the article carefully.

“It will feature fully 3D environments that empower players with full control of the camera, as well as a new comic book-inspired aesthetic that’s meant to help embody the “spirit” of adventure gaming.”

So what if it’s in 3D? Read the full statement that Revolution made about the game’s design. It could absolutely be a good game:

About

Beyond a Steel Sky is a thrilling story of loyalty and redemption set in an eerie and terrifying world of AI-driven social controls. As can be expected of a Revolution adventure, the tale is woven with the studio’s signature humor, supported by legendary comic book artist Dave Gibbons’ acclaimed artistic style.

“Even after so many years, fans of the original game are still incredibly loyal and very passionate – and have remained vocal in demanding a sequel,” said Revolution Software founder and CEO Charles Cecil. “Adventure games are played by a large, diverse audience that hugely enjoys the interweaving of story and puzzles. Our approach has been to write an intelligent, witty adventure game that is wholly intuitive to play and assumes no prior knowledge of the original game or its universe. We aspire to write a modern day 1984 told through the medium of the adventure game.”

Beyond a Steel Sky is a hugely ambitious adventure in which intelligent, humorous emergent gameplay drives an edgy narrative. Very much an adventure, the game is set in a dynamic, bounded-sandbox world. A unique world that will respond to—and be subverted by—the player’s actions. The game characters, driven by advanced AI tech, are willful and motivated: their intelligent responses allow interesting, emergent solutions to puzzles and obstacles. The culmination of Revolution’s 30 years of developing adventure games, Beyond a Steel Sky evolves and redefines the adventure genre.

It’s a project that’s been on the minds of both Cecil and Gibbons for many years, but one they felt needed the right real world moment to to it justice.

“Charles and I have discussed returning to the Beneath a Steel Sky universe many times over the years,” said Dave Gibbons. “Fake news, social controls, polarized views—the world is confusing—we agreed that now was the right time for Robert Foster to take a trip back to and beyond that Steel Sky. I am delighted to be working with Revolution again.”

Key Features

A unique, rich game experience in an bounded sandbox world, interwoven with a deep narrative.
A story that enables players to profoundly affect and subvert the game world and its characters.
Elegantly simple, intuitive controls that allow complex situations to emerge, offering a gameplay experience that will appeal to the novice as well as the experienced gamer.
Custom-written cutting-edge graphics technology delivers a beautiful, real time, comic-book-styled world in HDR, and 4K to complement the artwork of Dave Gibbons.
Original comic book vignette to be created by Dave Gibbons.

Has there ever been an adventure series that went from 2D to 3D without losing its appeal and playability considerably? I can’t think of any.

There are many examples of adventure series that transitioned to 3D and were great.

King’s Quest 2015, Sam & Max (SWT,BS&T,TDP), Tales Of Monkey Island, Dreamfall Chapters, Sherlock Holmes, etc.

I consider some better than their predecessors and others worse. But their playability wasn’t sacrificed and they’re all great games in their own right. Let alone the games that were 3D to start with that also prove the formula can work great in 3D.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

PlanetX - 26 March 2019 05:24 AM

There are many examples of adventure series that transitioned to 3D and were great.

King’s Quest 2015, Sam & Max (SWT,BS&T,TDP), Tales Of Monkey Island, Dreamfall Chapters, Sherlock Holmes, etc.

I consider some better than their predecessors and others worse. But their playability wasn’t sacrificed and they’re all great games in their own right.

Let alone the games that were 3D to start with that also prove the formula can work great in 3D.

The question is not whether a game can work or not in 3D, of course there are great 3D games, it’s how well the transition from 2D to 3D works in an already established game universe. Generally speaking, very badly.

King’s Quest series: it was horrible, and why the reboot was somewhat well accepted was because people thought it wasn’t as bad as Mask of Eternity was.

Simon the Sorcerer series: 3D completely ruined everything, which is a shame as the writing in the third game was actually better than in previous games.

Broken Sword series: I guess we all know what happened. They even admitted it was a wrong move and moved back to 2D.

Sherlock Holmes kind of worked, but then again, if you are talking about Frogwares and not all Sherlock Holmes games ever, their first game The Mystery of the Mummy was 3D, so they went from 3D to 2D and from there back to 3D, so they are an exception to almost everything.

Telltale Games do not count, as Sam and Max, Monkey Island, and everything else was not 3D, they were 2.5D from the very first games all the way until Jurassic Park when they really went to 3D and changed the gameplay from point and click to QTE.

So I am still waiting for an example of a successful transition from 2D to 3D…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top