• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Gabrielrtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars music patch

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2014-07-05

PM

Hey folks! I made a little “music patch” for Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars, if anyone’s interested Smile It makes for a pretty refreshing change imo, and it took a while to try convert, find and rename all of the files from the DC version, but it was worth it! Hope y’all like it!

https://www.moddb.com/mods/broken-sword-the-shadow-of-the-templars-music-patch-v10/addons

Here’s the description from the ModDB page:

“One of the few bothersome elements of the original Broken Sword is the low sound quality, which also makes it an unpleasant headphone experience. That’s how I got the idea of replacing the sound files from the original game with their Director’s Cut counterparts - the sound quality was the most major improvement in the DC version; Barrington Pheloung’s score was re-recorded with respect to the original version.

Not all of the original music files have an approriate DC version, therefore not all of them were replaced, or rather, some needed “operating”. Nevertheless, the majority, approximately three quarters, of the music has been replaced and a “test” playthrough with the “patch” revealed no noticable issues and a pleasently enhanced experience.

WHAT TO DO?

Simply replace the music folder in the instalation directory - for the GOG version, that is C:\GOG Games\Broken Sword - Shadow of the Templars - and voilà: the “remastered” soundtrack is in place!

Hope you enjoy it!”

EDIT:

The patch was deleted off ModDB, so here’s an alternative link provided by @dumbeur, thanks man!: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VNkbkXxUQZJZebm3_tw_MbCg3-unEvPG/view?usp=sharing

EDIT:

Apparently, the ModDB download is working again!

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i havent plans for a new replay for TSotT but that is brilliant!, the game sound files were always bummer, the hissing sound we hear at each start on modern machines is too annoying, tho who had played it early or on an old machine will always be delighted of the original sound files.

Joined 2014-07-05

PM

Advie - 12 November 2018 06:07 PM

i havent plans for a new replay for TSotT but that is brilliant!, the game sound files were always bummer, the hissing sound we hear at each start on modern machines is too annoying, tho who had played it early or on an old machine will always be delighted of the original sound files.

Thank you very much! Well, for the retro lovers (hehe), I think that the DC music is pretty much a direct replica of the original, so it won’t hinder the nostalgic feelings, plus not ALL of it is replaced, and the voice quality is still the same. Smile

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

welcome! but it is not really of retro or modern, i m just giving credits to the approach of enhancing their sound output, then.

Joined 2014-07-05

PM

Advie - 12 November 2018 06:25 PM

welcome! but it is not really of retro or modern, i m just giving credits to the approach of enhancing their sound output, then.

Oh no, I understand completely what you mean, no worries Grin Thanks again!

Total Posts: 407

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

Oh no!  It appears that the mod has been deleted for copyright reasons.  Please could someone re-upload it to a file hosting site and post a link, as I’d really like to try the mod out on my next replay of the game.  Thank you.

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2007-08-24

PM

St_Eddie - 04 December 2018 06:35 PM

Oh no!  It appears that the mod has been deleted for copyright reasons.  Please could someone re-upload it to a file hosting site and post a link, as I’d really like to try the mod out on my next replay of the game.  Thank you.

This.
Would be great to have for my annual Christmas playthrough.

My computer runs DOS only.

Joined 2014-07-05

PM

St_Eddie - 04 December 2018 06:35 PM

seakash - 05 December 2018 01:26 AM

This.
Would be great to have for my annual Christmas playthrough.

Hi guys!

Gosh darn it, only a day or two ago it was working just fine. Frown I checked my ModDB account and they did not notify me at all in regards to why it was taken off + Revolution have no problem with the patch (they are not the composers i.e. holders of the copyright, but regardles. I’ll try to get it up and running in due time. Smile

Anyway, I’m too lazy to figure out these hosting sites thingies, so perhaps I could “DM” it or email to you guys? I’ll/We’ll figure something out. Smile

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

mbieZO - 05 December 2018 09:29 AM

Hi guys!

Gosh darn it, only a day or two ago it was working just fine. Frown I checked my ModDB account and they did not notify me at all in regards to why it was taken off + Revolution have no problem with the patch (they are not the composers i.e. holders of the copyright, but regardles. I’ll try to get it up and running in due time. Smile

Anyway, I’m too lazy to figure out these hosting sites thingies, so perhaps I could “DM” it or email to you guys? I’ll/We’ll figure something out. Smile

Thank you.  File hosting sites aren’t too hard to figure out.  You can just put the files into a zip and follow the simple instructions on any file hosting site (I tend to use Google Drive myself).  Whatever works best for you of course (DM or e-mail is fine by me).

Many thanks.

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

That’s great!  Thank you so much.  I look forward to trying it out.

Joined 2014-07-05

PM

dumbeur - 05 December 2018 08:58 PM

Here you go:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VNkbkXxUQZJZebm3_tw_MbCg3-unEvPG/view?usp=sharing

Oh! Thanks for doing the work for me, hehe Smile

Have you (or any of you guys) tried it out? Is it cool? Smile

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

mbieZO - 06 December 2018 05:20 PM

I’ve only given the patch a quick test, to ensure that it worked correctly, as I only just replayed Broken Sword fairly recently, so another playthrough isn’t on the cards anytime soon.  However, based upon what I heard; it’s great; a very noticeable upgrade from the original version.  Thank you so much for this!

Does anyone know if the Director’s Cut also had enhanced sound files for the dialogue?  I can’t remember myself and I don’t think that I’ll ever replay that inferior version again to find out (which is why this patch is perfect for me).  If so, I wonder if it would be possible to also patch the voice files in?

Joined 2014-07-05

PM

St_Eddie - 08 December 2018 10:18 AM
mbieZO - 06 December 2018 05:20 PM

I’ve only given the patch a quick test, to ensure that it worked correctly, as I only just replayed Broken Sword fairly recently, so another playthrough isn’t on the cards anytime soon.  However, based upon what I heard; it’s great; a very noticeable upgrade from the original version.  Thank you so much for this!

Does anyone know if the Director’s Cut also had enhanced sound files for the dialogue?  I can’t remember myself and I don’t think that I’ll ever replay that inferior version again to find out (which is why this patch is perfect for me).  If so, I wonder if it would be possible to also patch the voice files in?

I’m so glad that you enjoyed it so far, thanks! As far as the DC dialogue, nope, it’s pretty much the same quality. And the sound files are some BS-exclusive type format I believe, not plain sound files like the music.

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Excellent work on this, I will give Broken Sword another spin in the next couple of weeks using your music ‘patch’.

It’s a shame that the Director’s Cut didn’t feature more high quality voices, though that is less bothersome than the music to be honest.

A few questions:
- Do you know if any of the cut-scenes of the original game that are also featured in the DC (which should be almost all of them) have been ‘upgraded’ with better quality graphics or sound quality? If so, it would be great if these could also be re-injected in the original game.
- You mentioned approx 3/4 of the music has been upgraded. What is the reason the remaining 1/4 has not been re-recorded in better quality? If I remember the DC correctly I thought the entire original game was featured in the DC with an additional chapter to be added for Nico’s back story.

If only Charles Cecil went for the same approach as with BS2 by releasing a remastered version that keeps the original story intact and upgrade the quality of music and cut-scenes with maybe some additional hints or art gallery….Now this would have been epic!

Your patch is essentially the replacements of the specific sound files which are probably copy-righted. t would be great if it could be turned into a real patch that can run once you installed both the directors cut and the original game and then patches the original game with the DC music files. That would be something that could be supported by/hosted at ScummVM as these guys already have additional Broken Sword complementary materials. Maybe they could even help turning it into a real patch, should that be feasible.

But great job overall, it’s a solid improvement Thumbs Up

Joined 2014-07-05

PM

subbi - 14 February 2019 12:17 PM

Excellent work on this, I will give Broken Sword another spin in the next couple of weeks using your music ‘patch’.

It’s a shame that the Director’s Cut didn’t feature more high quality voices, though that is less bothersome than the music to be honest.

A few questions:
- Do you know if any of the cut-scenes of the original game that are also featured in the DC (which should be almost all of them) have been ‘upgraded’ with better quality graphics or sound quality? If so, it would be great if these could also be re-injected in the original game.
- You mentioned approx 3/4 of the music has been upgraded. What is the reason the remaining 1/4 has not been re-recorded in better quality? If I remember the DC correctly I thought the entire original game was featured in the DC with an additional chapter to be added for Nico’s back story.

If only Charles Cecil went for the same approach as with BS2 by releasing a remastered version that keeps the original story intact and upgrade the quality of music and cut-scenes with maybe some additional hints or art gallery….Now this would have been epic!

Your patch is essentially the replacements of the specific sound files which are probably copy-righted. t would be great if it could be turned into a real patch that can run once you installed both the directors cut and the original game and then patches the original game with the DC music files. That would be something that could be supported by/hosted at ScummVM as these guys already have additional Broken Sword complementary materials. Maybe they could even help turning it into a real patch, should that be feasible.

But great job overall, it’s a solid improvement Thumbs Up

Hey! There are some actual pieces of soundtrack that are simply only in the original like little sound effects, while for the full songs lacking a “DC alternative”, I assume that the DC version simply recycles certain tunes multiple times for certain actions that had unique tracks in the original and also sometimes in the original there were some pieces of soundtrack that were just like, shortened versions of some of reoccuring themes, with slight differences, but I wanted every unique “moment” to stay in the original and also not risk tampering with them in case those particular shorter versions are triggered at specific moments and have to last that shortened time. This sounded way too complicated.

Now I should have my folder, where I seperated the pieces of the DC soundtrack and the original that were “unsolvable” or simply remained “non-patched” to separate folders, but I’d have to search for that shit in one of the many computers in my household haha.

As far as the cutscenes in the DC version, there are some that do look slightly better but there’s also a lot of censoring going on to (no blood in the scenes where there was blood). If I recall correctly tho, the cutscenes in the original actually have more decent sound than in-game, I might be wrong. For the bloodless cutscenes or non-significantly changed ones, this could be useful tho. But we’d need some computer whizz that knows how to do this shit, I have no idea how to haha. I could make this “patch” simply because all it took was time: converting the files, shortening them slightly and renaming them haha.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top